DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What artist, band, or song(s) remind you of the WoT?

dhofhistory

I was thinking the other day, years ago, when I first read the Wheel of Time series I listened to the Beatles Album '1' over and over again. And since then, when I hear most Beatles songs they transport me back to the world that Robert Jordan created. For the release of Towers of Midnight, created a complete anthology of all 240 songs released by the Beatles to listen to as my "new" soundtrack for future re-readings of the series.

My question is: Is there any particular song(s) that similarly transport you back to the Wheel of Time series?

Also, do you listen to a particular band or artist when you read the books?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bunch of songs make me think of WoT, mostly because the lyrics fit the characters.

E.g.,

"The Lucky One" by Alison Krauss for Mat

("You look at the world with a smiling eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by ... give you a song and a one-night stand, you'll be looking at a happy man 'cause you're the lucky one")

"One Prairie Outpost" by Carbon Leaf for Rand

("Not been here since I was a boy, the sky unwrapped, the world my toy ... scene after scene passes by my life, the window's a wound, the road is a knife ... you ask me 'where have I been?' 'I don't know, I don't know because I don't know where to begin ...'")

"When I go" by Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer for Perrin

("Come lonely hunter, cheiftan and king, I will fly like the falcon when I go ... tireless entrancer, lend me your skin, I will run like the gray wolf when I go")

That last is especially appropriate. It's about the honor of dying in battle. If Perrin doesn't make it through the last book I'm painting a memorial piece based on this song :)

Sometimes I listen to soundtracks when I read the books. James Horner's Avatar soundtrack and the instrumental soundtrack to the Lion King have some pretty epic music (no kidding, "...To Die For" on the Lion King soundtrack is really intense!)

"Drumming Song" and "No Light, No Light" by Florence and the Machine are both really intense songs that would make wicked background for fight scenes if they weren't so distractingly awesome

This always makes me think of Emonds Field. Sounds like something they could actually play there during f.ex Bel Tine.

Other than that, nothing.

As for what I listen to when reading the books, music that I am very familiar with, so nothing surprising will distract me from the book. Right now often metal, because if I crank up the volume, it drowns out most eventual annoying sounds from the outside (living in the central part of a city can be annoying when you don't want to be disturbed).

There is one particular song that is nothing but pure Wheel of Time to me, and I would very much like to find it again. About ten years ago there was a fan page on the internet, titled something like "Robert Jordan's Room". There was a midi tune that played in a loop on an imbedded Quick Time player. I downloaded and saved it, but that was a decade ago and it is now lost. The web page is also long gone. This is a shot in the dark, but if anyone knows what I am talking about and still has this, I would like a copy.

Most of the times I listen to Deeds of Flesh "Reduced to Ashes" as the lyrical content of the album matches the darkest parts of the series, particularly the Blight.

This song is great to get that vibe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnwy65okMYU

And if anyone is interested to know, I am actually in the works of creating a three or four song demo in the genre of extreme metal.

So far I have this outlined:

Intro(The Wheel Turns)

The Dark One

The Dragon Reborn

The Last Battle

I have had The Dark One written for awhile but since I have new equipment, I needto record it and refine it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0SUs15D24U&feature=plcp&context=C4abd63fVDvjVQa1PpcFPb2drsTEE25ANNZXlRaem_NoWDAu7Qt60%3D

Guest Alucius

For me the best song for Rand has always been "Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who, for Mat I like the song "The Joker" by Steve Miller Band, and for Perrin I've never really found a song that matched him.

This could obviously most apply to Perrin and the wolves but it could also be fitting for the Aiel or Borderlanders going to war I think;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TY_zITJ68k

Especially with lyrics like;

Unleash the wolves

Carnage has no rules

Comparison, competition

We'll bury one and all

Look in the eyes of rage

A loyalty bred of suffering

The fire inside it burns eternally, victory

Look in the eyes of pain

The scars on our souls forever remain

Calling the sheltered of the broken

Wing, join the fray

I remember reading the end of tGH on the bus which had the radio on. 'Telephone' by Lady Gaga was playing and, now, whenever I hear that song, my early WoT-feelings come to mind.

I also remember listening to Led Zeppelin's Achilles' Last Stand whilst reading the fight scenes in White-Luck Warrior with Achaman and co. running through the underground ---> epic

Right now, I can't think any songs that remind me of WoT, although I am sure there are many. Here are two off the top of my head: The Battle of Evermore by LZ and The Chain by Fleetwood Mac. The first song was written with LoTR in mind, so it just fits. The second... well, it just does somehow; I guess The Chain is similar to The Wheel and part of the lyrics is about 'stopping it' or such.

Kashmir by Led Zeppelin makes me think of the wheel of time every time i listen to it. Just look at some of the lyrics!

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream

I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen

They talk of days for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

The sun when the dark one burned the earth with a great heat. Rand is the traveler of time and space. The elder race is the ogier waiting for something (the return of the great time when they lived in steadings of beauty)

Archived