DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Defeat of the dark one

A Rant Lord

Before starting my reasoning, note this is pure speculation. I have no evidence for this.

I think the dark one's defeat will be through the true power.

In the books there is always spoken of a 'connection' to the true power/one power.

A connection doesn't mean A---->B, but A<----->B.

It works Both ways.

Robert Jordan never puts anything in the books without a reason. Why would he even make Rand able to touch the true power unless meant as a red herring or a deeper meaning? I think Rand will defeat the dark one using that connection (that works both ways) with the True power, ergo the DO.

Now as I said before, I have evidence to base this on, I just got the idea and was curious about other's idea's.

If this topic has been discussed before, please link me to the topic.

Thanks!

Let's see how to explain this, I believe 'dark Rand' came to be due to influence from the true power, or if you will, influence from the DO by letting Rand channel the True power. I think it was his plan to get Rand to channel the True power by sacrificing Semirhage to be able to influence him. Now what if Rand uses this connection to the true power in the same way? So that he can influence the dark one through that connection, because connections always work 2 ways.

I do not think it would work.

It is plausible in regards to Moridin and their link.

But Rand influencing the DO? Not a chance.

It is like the DO is using his pinky finger to influence Rand.

Any attempt of Rand's to push back at this pinky finger would go relatively unnoticed.

The TP IS the DO, at least a part of him. I can see no conceivable way Rand has the power to "turn the DO" or even slightly influence the DO in any way.

The DO is too powerful an entity on par with the Creator. I would be very, very surprised and disappointed if Rand or any mortal could do more than seal him away indefinitely.

well the thing is that the DO is going to possess rand

and since callandor requires 2 female channellers to function properly, it means that a woman must be in charge of the circle

so when rand is possessed, callandor is goign to act a bit like the domination band

so I think this is where alivia or someone balefires rand, with the recoil from the strike allowing for a more permanent fix

I'm not sure of what link between the OP and the TP you're talking about. The One Power is also referred to as the True Source, but never the True Power. The True Power comes from (or is) the Dark One.

I'm not saying that the TP won't be useful; it may be, it may not be.

Hey, been lurking for a couple years now, this is my first post.

I've thought about this a little before. In TGS, The Last That Could Be Done, Lews Therin mentions that the hundred companions had to touch the DO with something, they needed something to close the gap, but the seal was weak. I used to think the taint was because only saidin made the seal, and if saidar was involved as well, it would've been fine, but after reading this, I think that saidar would have been tainted as well.

The DO only allows access to the TP to whom he wants to wield it, so it could be tricky in that regard, but there's always a possibility of Moridin being involved in one way or another, be it a body swap or a side change.

It also mentions a few lines down that LTT (a genius of his time) didn't know how to seal the prison. The only thing that Rand has more knowledge/experience with, is the TP.

Dunno, just a thought :)

Personally, I've been wondering for a while whether the Dragonsoul (as LTT, Rand, or both!) ever did know how to seal the Bore, in this or any previous incarnation. As you say, LTT was a genius of his time, and if he couldn't work it out.. Nor can Rand Sedai, apparently. Besides, there's VoG, in which Rand remembered all his past lives, stretching back to infinity. Surely, if the necessary knowledge had been there, he would have retained it, even if he forgot all else except his most recent existence as LTT. But he doesn't know.. and I don't think he ever will. I think that knowledge will be fiound, and used, by someone else, while Rand does whatever is required to hold the DO at bay during the Healing of the Pattern. (Which is how I think it will go.)

Min has a viewing that alludes to Narishma wielding Callandor, I believe. Something about a dark skinned youth holding a shining sword?

I would be cool with Narishma having a cool part like being a diversion, or holding off some Forsaken during the sealing, but I don't know if I like the idea of a "lower tier" character being the one who saves the day. Although I think teamwork will be the key to victory. At least, I'm a fan of that notion :P

She Viewed Callandor gripped in a 'black hand' which she described as looking as though it were made of onyx (ToM51). The Viewing was of Rand, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Rand would be the one holding Callandor, just that he was involved in determining who would hold it. There are a number of possibilities as to what it meant which have been variously discussed. If the Viewing was literal, the hand might have been some sort of prosthetic replacing Rand's missing hand, or it may have been held by a very dark-skinned person. If it was allegorical, it may have signified that Callandor was to be held by a DF.. or even Shaidar Haran.

Narishma described as 'sun-dark', and he wears all-black. And he has used Callandor before, at the Cleansing.

I misremembered it, my bad. There's another viewing about Callandor in ToM ch. 25, of Rand holding a shining white sword wielded against one of black. If that relates to the aforementioned viewing, then it might not be Narishma, but possibly a second, evil Callandor. One of the two male sa'angreal stronger than Callandor (The other being the Choedan Kal). Lanfear mentioned two more powerful sa'angreal to Rand in the Stone of Tear, in TSR, I think?

Archived