DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Game of Thrones Season 2

Emperor

Danny's scene seemed pointless, i think Nol is right and we'll be seeing most of Danny's stuff either closer to the end or this seasion (all lumped into a few episodes) or they'll push it into next season (ie: Season 2 focusing on Kingslanding and beyond the wall / Season 3 focusing on events across the narrow sea). goign with the later makes more sense as far as time line wise and character developement, and atleast Danny's story line is still interesting imo (atleast until we get to later books). still, i would have preferred maybe some of Winterfell or more of the Iron Islands rather than throwing in Danny to the mix.

My understanding is they're actually beefing up Dany's Qarth storyline a bit, pulling things forward some. The bit in this show was probably intended to serve two purposes: first, the actor who played Rakharo was a fairly significant part of last season in her story and he left the show, so they had to give him a plausible exit instead of just ignoring the fact that he existed... and second, to show the passage of time from last episode when she sends her bloodriders out to find what is in each direction until NEXT episode,

when I'd bet Kovarro comes back with Pyat Pree, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, and Quaithe.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dislike the scene with Melisandre seducing Stannis. Not in any way in line with how their relationship is portrayed in the books, and to me it goes very much against her character, making her more a manipulative Cersei-wannabee than mysterious priestess.

Other than that, good ep.

If people can't keep names straight, that is their problem. The only thing that makes it ok is that Mr. Martin must have given the ok for the name change.

Negatory.

HBO owns the rights to the TV series and can do whatever they like with it. GRRM's deal means they must offer to let him write one episode per season and they do ask him about a lot of things since his insight is important, but they do not have to listen to anything he says or act on it. He is a 'title producer' only (i.e. someone who gets a production credit and probably a nominal fee per episode, as well as the very large sum HBO would have stumped up up-front for the rights to the books), not a showrunner/executive producer (i.e. someone with real power over the TV series).

I really dislike the scene with Melisandre seducing Stannis. Not in any way in line with how their relationship is portrayed in the books, and to me it goes very much against her character, making her more a manipulative Cersei-wannabee than mysterious priestess.

I've always seen her as manipulative myself

maybe that's just me though

Manipulative, yes. but not in that way. Especially not after what we see in ADWD.

but she did sleep with Stannis, it was just offscreen in the series rather than in the forefront liek the book. given her perosnality, i could see her saying those thigns and acting that way, espeically if Stannis had turned her more subtle offers.

Manipulative, yes. but not in that way. Especially not after what we see in ADWD.

you think she's above using sex to get what she wants?

iirc she came onto jon snow in DWD and he didn't take her up on the offer

The sex is not the point, the seduction part is. Melisandre is introduced as some mysterious priestess with possible supernatural abilities, yet when it comes to getting Stannis into bed, the same Stannis she has made believing he is some kind of myhtical saviour, she goes about it in a way that strongly reminds about Cersei, only even less subtle.

I would be less bothered if they had tried to play down her mystical side, but one of the first things we see her do is drinking poisoned wine without getting as much as a headache, so that does not seem to be the case.

Just FYI, an interview posted at the Telegraph today has the directors planning on 8-9 seasons to tell the story of ASoIaF.

http://www.telegraph...id-Benioff.html

Makes sense. If they split ASOS in two, mash AFFC and ADWD together in the next two seasons, they have two or three seasons left for the last two books. Martin might even be able to finish the last book before they start shooting the final season :biggrin:

Big problem with some of the actors though. Arya for example, perfect casting, but she would be almost 10 years older in the final season. And she is in an age where just one year can make quite a difference in appearance. Same goes with Bran, and to some extent Sansa. Interesting to see how they will deal with this, recasting would be a shame.

well GRRM might take a leaf out of JKR's book and give the characters massive growth spurts to match the actors. when PoA came out, OoTP was about to be released. the actors had major growth spurts and JKR reflected that in her character descriptions.

The characters have already been aged up on the TV show for the sake of public sensibilities. And GRRM was originally planning that 5 year gap between ASOS and ADWD anyway, so I don't think the storyline necessarily will be impacted by the aging of the child actors over the years. For instance...

I don't think it'll make a bit of difference if Arya looks like she's 16 when she trains with the Faceless Men instead of being 11... she's still a young girl, and it'll still have a lot of impact because it's ARYA, and we've seen how she got to this place. And Bran's storyline in ADWD really wouldn't matter if he's a teenager from what I can tell, except that the older he gets, the harder it will be for Hodor to carry him.

Red & Kae:

But since he's in Bloodraven's cave, he really doesn't have to go anywhere pretty much ever again, unless he decides he wants to rejoin the "land of the living", so to speak... he could end up like Bloodraven, but it'd be awfully sad to see since he's so young.

HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a third season, to air in the Spring of 2013. At the moment it sounds likes the season will again consist of 10 episodes, although HBO has not officially confirmed this. However, in recent interviews the producers have said they cannot make more than 10 episodes a season without a substantial increase in budget and time, so it seems unlikely it will be more than this.

Season 3 will cover approximately the first one-half to two-thirds of A STORM OF SWORDS, the third novel in the SONG OF ICE AND FIRE sequence. The novel is too long (half again the length of the first) to be adapted into one season. According to the producers, they plan to culminate the season with an event code-named 'RW' (book readers should work this out immediately).

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are returning to produce and co-write most of the season. George R.R. Martin should be contributing one episode as usual. It's too early to talk about casting, but major roles debuting in Season 3 should include Oberyn Martell, Mance Rayder and Tormund Giantsbane, as well as the delayed Edmure and Hoster Tully (and possibly the Blackfish). Production should resume in Belfast (and presumably Dubrovnik and Iceland) in June or July this year.

The sex is not the point, the seduction part is. Melisandre is introduced as some mysterious priestess with possible supernatural abilities, yet when it comes to getting Stannis into bed, the same Stannis she has made believing he is some kind of myhtical saviour, she goes about it in a way that strongly reminds about Cersei, only even less subtle.

I would be less bothered if they had tried to play down her mystical side, but one of the first things we see her do is drinking poisoned wine without getting as much as a headache, so that does not seem to be the case.

so what you're saying is

in a series which seriously downplays magic

you expect to see magic seduction instead of actual seduction

meh

doesn't bother me and that's all I can say I guess

HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a third season, to air in the Spring of 2013. At the moment it sounds likes the season will again consist of 10 episodes, although HBO has not officially confirmed this. However, in recent interviews the producers have said they cannot make more than 10 episodes a season without a substantial increase in budget and time, so it seems unlikely it will be more than this.

Season 3 will cover approximately the first one-half to two-thirds of A STORM OF SWORDS, the third novel in the SONG OF ICE AND FIRE sequence. The novel is too long (half again the length of the first) to be adapted into one season. According to the producers, they plan to culminate the season with an event code-named 'RW' (book readers should work this out immediately).

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are returning to produce and co-write most of the season. George R.R. Martin should be contributing one episode as usual. It's too early to talk about casting, but major roles debuting in Season 3 should include Oberyn Martell, Mance Rayder and Tormund Giantsbane, as well as the delayed Edmure and Hoster Tully (and possibly the Blackfish). Production should resume in Belfast (and presumably Dubrovnik and Iceland) in June or July this year.

How very exciting! I can hardly wait for the casting, see who is playing who.

thats great news Wert ^.^ i love how HBO is taking good steps for early renewls with this series. one of the pitfalls with Dexter last season was the renewel unsuriety imo.

the RW seems a good place to end season 3 imo, its a good cimactic point in the books *nods* likely, GRRM will be writing this episode. can't say i'm really looking forward to it though :unsure:

if their delaying the Tully introduction till S3, then we'll likely not see Jamie get released until then :sad:

Red & Kae:

But since he's in Bloodraven's cave, he really doesn't have to go anywhere pretty much ever again, unless he decides he wants to rejoin the "land of the living", so to speak... he could end up like Bloodraven, but it'd be awfully sad to see since he's so young.

but Song your forgetting

the long journey to Bloodraven of which Hodor has to carry him. i believe this is what Kae was talking about when she expressed conrcen over the actors age/weight and Hodo carying him

yes, Brans wolf's name is Summer. for a refresher, the names are as follows

Rob - Grey Wind

Sansa - Lady

Jon - Ghost

Ayra - Nymeria

Bran - Summer

Rickon - Shaggy Dog

We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. The actor who plays Bran gets kudos from me for playing such a difficult part, physically. I imagine it must be hard to play someone paralyzed from the waist down.

thats great news Wert ^.^ i love how HBO is taking good steps for early renewls with this series. one of the pitfalls with Dexter last season was the renewel unsuriety imo.

the RW seems a good place to end season 3 imo, its a good cimactic point in the books *nods* likely, GRRM will be writing this episode. can't say i'm really looking forward to it though :unsure:

He's slated to write Episode 7, if they're ending with that event it won't be his epi... but that's OK, David and Dan did a bang up job with Baelor, which is the S1 equivalent and I'm sure they're writing the S3 climax as well (since they mentioned that particular part of the story inspiring the desire to film it)... and the directing is going to be utterly critical to make that scene live up to its potential. They'll use their best director for that one fo-damn-sure. It will be crushing and damn hard to watch, but riveting.

if their delaying the Tully introduction till S3, then we'll likely not see Jamie get released until then :sad:

Pretty sure

that's being moved up to this season to give Nikolaj more screen time... perhaps later part of S2... Nikolaj mentioned in interviews working with Gwendoline Christie during filming for S2 and he pointed out Episode 7 particularly as his favorite scene he's ever done in any of his projects. Can't wait to see what that entails, but I'd be surprised if it's anything earlier in the storyline than where Cat decides to release him.

Red & Kae:

but Song your forgetting

the long journey to Bloodraven of which Hodor has to carry him. i believe this is what Kae was talking about when she expressed conrcen over the actors age/weight and Hodo carying him

Not forgetting that at all, I was the one who mentioned the actor's size and the increasing difficulty for Hodor to carry him.

I was suggesting that once he's in Bloodraven's cave, he may never need to be carried again, in response to the further discussion about him being a skin changer but maybe still needing to be carried around. Yes, getting there will be less practical if the actor is a tall, gangly teenager by the time Book 5 is filmed.

They'll most likely figure out a way around it, since that's the one plot point in Bran's storyline that really is limited by the actor's age.

Archived