DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RAKE VS MOIRAINE in SUVUDU CAGE MATCH 2012 SEMI-FINALS

Shadow'sBane

Sorry, but there's no way in hell Moiraine would have a chance against Rake.

Pat Rothfuss had a good comment the other day on his blog...

What I did find oddly galling were some of the comments along the lines of, “Bast could never win against X. X has a power level of 9000!!1!”

This bothered me for two reasons:

First, you have to realize that any time something like this is an open vote, it’s ultimately a popularity contest.

Here’s a mnemonic to help you remember: “When the internet votes on who will die, it comes down to Vox Populi.”

But vastly more irritating to me is the odd opinion that strength/power is the key factor when two people come into conflict.

The truth is, I find that sentiment more than irritating, I find it troubling. It means a lot of you haven’t been paying attention to the books I know you must have read.

If power is the only important thing, then Frodo loses against Sauron. Hell, if power’s the only important thing then Gandalf loses against Sauron. If magic is the deciding factor of a fight, then four plucky kids from England get their asses turned to stone by the White Which.

So yeah, Rake can turn into a dragon, but the point of fairy tales is that they teach us that dragons can be beaten.

I see too much fatalism these days, folks. The truth is that the world is full of dragons, and none of us are as powerful or cool as we’d like to be. And that sucks. But when you’re confronted with that fact, you can either crawl into a hole and quit, or you can get out there, take off your shoes, and Bilbo it up.

Sorry, but there's no way in hell Moiraine would have a chance against Rake.

What I did find oddly galling were some of the comments along the lines of, “Bast could never win against X. X has a power level of 9000!!1!”

This bothered me for two reasons:

First, you have to realize that any time something like this is an open vote, it’s ultimately a popularity contest.

Here’s a mnemonic to help you remember: “When the internet votes on who will die, it comes down to Vox Populi.”

But vastly more irritating to me is the odd opinion that strength/power is the key factor when two people come into conflict.

The truth is, I find that sentiment more than irritating, I find it troubling. It means a lot of you haven’t been paying attention to the books I know you must have read.

If power is the only important thing, then Frodo loses against Sauron. Hell, if power’s the only important thing then Gandalf loses against Sauron. If magic is the deciding factor of a fight, then four plucky kids from England get their asses turned to stone by the White Which.

So yeah, Rake can turn into a dragon, but the point of fairy tales is that they teach us that dragons can be beaten.

I see too much fatalism these days, folks. The truth is that the world is full of dragons, and none of us are as powerful or cool as we’d like to be. And that sucks. But when you’re confronted with that fact, you can either crawl into a hole and quit, or you can get out there, take off your shoes, and Bilbo it up.

I read that the other day as well when Bast was still in. I respect Mr Rothfuss and highly value his words and what he wrote there can't be closer to the truth.

I guess we'll find out which fanatically devoted fanbase has more members vote.

Personally, I'm hoping for Granny vs. Moiraine as the finals, both because those are the two charcters in this I've known longest and love most, and also because I always prefer when magic users fight and weapon users fight, because magic vs. weapons always just ends up as a question of whether the weapon user is fast enough to run in before getting blown to bits. So while you're there, remember to vote in the other match too (preferably for Granny, but that's up to you).

Last year we managed to get the fanboyism under control, anyone going to try it this year?

I'm sorry, but Moiraine is simply outmatched by Rake, it isn't anything against her, she is a great character. But she isn't a 300,000 year old being who is only not a God because they refuse the title.

Beating Rake would be really hard, but I'm sure Moiraine saw the one and only possible way to do it, including all the preparation and manipulations to setup before the fight, when she went through the Rings. Right? I mean, our WoT characters are somehow going to outsmart a god that's about a zillion times more powerful than Rake, the kind of god that can destroy infinite numbers of universes, if they're willing to make the right sacrifces and follow prophecies. It's what they do.

I'll add that mortals killing gods is a recurring theme in Malazan. The gods are much, much more powerful, but if you send mage-assassins into their warrens, or touch a jade statue, or whatever, they tend to die. The two constants of Malazan seem to be that 1) everything is near-infinitely powerful, and 2) it still gets killed.

oh come on people...

its supposed to be a CHARACTER VS CHARACTER Cage match..and NOT a MAGIC SYSTEM VS MAGIC SYSTEM match...

vote for the character u like.

else it Bloody stupid for suvudu to add people like Tryion(barely able to lift an axe) and Rake(Powerful enough to destroy Mountains in one strike) in the same match...

there are more to character than mere Magical power...stop being Bloody fools and vote for character you like....vote for Rake if you like Rake more tha Moirane and not just becoz the Magic system in Malazan is stronger than Magic system in WoT.

Last year we managed to get the fanboyism under control, anyone going to try it this year?

I'm sorry, but Moiraine is simply outmatched by Rake, it isn't anything against her, she is a great character. But she isn't a 300,000 year old being who is only not a God because they refuse the title.

Actually, Rake is a god insofar as I'm aware. WoG says the difference between an Ascendent and a god is that a god has worshippers. Rake most definitely has worshippers.

its supposed to be a CHARACTER VS CHARACTER Cage match

Yeah, you're right. A character vs. character match. So vote for the character you think would win, not who you like more. :-p

Oh, I most definitely agree that's what it always comes down to. Doesn't mean much.

*Cough* Balefire* cough.

You have to be able to hit your target with balefire. Rake could just crush Moiraine from afar with a neat unveiling of his warrens.

'Course, I'm just being silly. This topic shouldn't even really be here. It's irrelevant to tWoT, really.

@Shadow'sBane—I tried to post in response to you on the cage match thread, but for some reason it wouldn't take my response. I know you were just pointing out MISTAKES in Abyss's write-up. I was just saying, give him a break, because for god's sake even Brandon needs Team Jordan and a cadre of beta readers to avoid making mistakes like that, and even they let some slip through. For you to go so far as to say Abyss has 'obviously never read the WoT' because he made a few plot errors is just ridiculous. Abyss has been reading the WoT for a long time, and remains a fan. He's posted very complimentary reviews of the last few releases at the Malazan forums, which is really quite something since most Malazan fans hate WoT on principle. Abyss and Illy have always been exceptions on that forum, and very influential members as well. Meanwhile everyone in the Malazan fandom is now under the impression that the WoT fandom is full of ignorant pricks. Keep in mind, these people know me quite well, and consider me an exception. ;)

Oh, I most definitely agree that's what it always comes down to. Doesn't mean much.

You are focusing on the wrong part of the quote...

What I did find oddly galling were some of the comments along the lines of, “Bast could never win against X. X has a power level of 9000!!1!”(this was awesome, if I had a dollar for every time some indignant fanboi has posted that)...But vastly more irritating to me is the odd opinion that strength/power is the key factor when two people come into conflict.

You have to be able to hit your target with balefire. Rake could just crush Moiraine from afar with a neat unveiling of his warrens.

The Warrens are alive, right? Unveiling it in the face of balefire isn't a good idea.

Then again, Draconis thinks the Malazan universe can get along without Darkness at this point. There are other forms of Order. So go ahead! And really, balefiring an entire Warren only sounds ridiculous to WoT fans. That kind of disaster happens in Malazan on a regular basis.

The Warrens are alive, right? Unveiling it in the face of balefire isn't a good idea.

Then again, Draconis thinks the Malazan universe can get along without Darkness at this point. There are other forms of Order. So go ahead! And really, balefiring an entire Warren only sounds ridiculous to WoT fans. That kind of disaster happens in Malazan on a regular basis.

Unveiling a warren is not the same thing as stepping into a warren. And Moiraine is certainly not strong enough to obliterate an entire realm with balefire even if Rake was opening a gate into one of his warrens.

Drawing on one's warren and using it is just akin to smashing someone with pure force (unless intentionally used for a more directed purpose like using Mockra to create an illusion).

Semi-finals. of Suvudu-Cage match

Moraine Damodred VS Anomander Rake

sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/04/cage-match-round-5-anomander-rake-versus-moiraine-damodred.html

and Moiraine is loosing....Many WoT Fans are voting for Rake just because the Magic System in "Malazan" series is stronger than Magic System In WoT.

these Cage-Matches are suppoesed to Character VS Character cage-matches.....its makes no sense voting for Magically Strong Character.

no one will oppose if you vote for Rake because you like him more as a character than Moiraine. But voting for him Just because Magic System of Malazan is stronger tha WoT's OnePower system Makes no sense.

Please help Moiraine Win this cage match....the reputation of WoT depends on it.

@Terez.

is didn't mean to abuse him...i just posted some of the reponses from FB groups as comment.

and Terez..

WoT hate is becoming a trend abong fantasy readers or Malazan,aSoIaF(some) and SoT readers....being apologetic and doing waht they think is right is not gonna reduce that hate.....we are just loosing for no reason that's all.

Im sorry i like Moiraine but Rake would kill her before she even knew he was a threat to her life he doesnt have any 3 oaths binding him

and Moiraine is loosing....Many WoT Fans are voting for Rake just because the Magic System in "Malazan" series is stronger than Magic System In WoT.

these Cage-Matches are suppoesed to Character VS Character cage-matches.....its makes no sense voting for Magically Strong Character.

no one will oppose if you vote for Rake because you like him more as a character than Moiraine. But voting for him Just because Magic System of Malazan is stronger tha WoT's OnePower system Makes no sense.

WoT hate is becoming a trend abong fantasy readers or Malazan,aSoIaF(some) and SoT readers....being apologetic and doing waht they think is right is not gonna reduce that hate.....we are just loosing for no reason that's all.

Dude, get over it. It's a ridiculous popularity contest, and at the moment, more Rake fans have voted than Moiraine fans. And if Moiraine wins, it'll mean that more Moiraine fans voted than Rake fans. That's all. This doesn't affect the reputation of either series. It means literally nothing.

Also, people can vote however they damned well please. If they vote for Moiriane because they genuinely think she could win, then that's more power to them. If they vote for Rake because Rake is stronger, then more power to them. If they vote for Moiraine because they like her character more, then hey, it's a party. Go for it. They're all equally justifiable, and all make an equal amount of sense. Get over yourself, and get over this bloody poll and stop making threads in the general WoT board just to get your point across.

Im not saying Rake would win because hes magically stronger im saying he would win because his morales are different than Moiraines and he isnt restrained by an oath rod. I think alot of the WOT hate comes from everyone saying "BALEFIRE" to resolve every conflict.

"Dude, get over it. It's a ridiculous popularity contest, and at the moment, more Rake fans have voted than Moiraine fans. And if Moiraine wins, it'll mean that more Moiraine fans voted than Rake fans. That's all. This doesn't affect the reputation of either series. It means literally nothing."

Agree

Dude, get over it. It's a ridiculous popularity contest, and at the moment, more Rake fans have voted than Moiraine fans. And if Moiraine wins, it'll mean that more Moiraine fans voted than Rake fans. That's all. This doesn't affect the reputation of either series. It means literally nothing.

Also, people can vote however they damned well please. If they vote for Moiriane because they genuinely think she could win, then that's more power to them. If they vote for Rake because Rake is stronger, then more power to them. If they vote for Moiraine because they like her character more, then hey, it's a party. Go for it. They're all equally justifiable, and all make an equal amount of sense. Get over yourself, and get over this bloody poll and stop making threads in the general WoT board just to get your point across.

i would mind getting over it...but it feels like giving up...and I don't like to Give up.

and btw it does matter....i read many Fantasy series becoz of Cage Matches in 2010...those were really fun...people voting for fun and all.

You are focusing on the wrong part of the quote...

I find his argument underwhelming. There is a vast difference between "this character is on one side, this character on the other; their purposes are at conflict; they have these resources and the world is in this state; in the end, this side wins" and "two people enter a cage, one person leaves."

Archived