DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"al'Lan Mandragoran" should be taught to Channel

CrazyMike

Lan won't be dead if Nynave's Dreams are true,,, he will be happily married raising children in Fal Dara...

I don't see where Lans Character has been very prominent in the last few books and I also do not have a problem with everyone channeling , tho according to recent post it appears that RJ has already stated that there are only about 1% of the men in RAND LAND that can channel,,,

and as far as Testing and training Lan, there are plenty of Asha'man who could be spared to do so,,, and Lan has a very long trip accross the borderlands to reach the battle front and the pass he intends to guard against the DO's forces,,, that distance appears to be several thousand miles or at least as far as from Boston , Mass. to San Diego, Cal. in our world,,, across rivers and mountains ,,,

I am assuming that the world that contains Rand Land is about the same size and mass as our world (Earth) and judging from the Maps of their world I have seen it appears that Rand Land is at least the Size of the USA plus about 500 miles in width...

Lan won't be dead if Nynave's Dreams are true,,, he will be happily married raising children in Fal Dara...

You mean what Nynaeve saw during her Accepted test. Those are not the same thing as Dreams, Egwene is the Dreamer btw, not Nynaeve.

This is an example of a deductive fallacy:

Luckiness can be a sign of channeling

Lan is lucky

Therefore, Lan can channel.

Its a deductive fallacy because channeling is not the ONLY reason a person can be lucky. Mat is very lucky and definitely does not channel. Saying that Lan must be able to channel because he is lucky is logically false.

And yes we know that there were attempts on Lan's life, but we don't know if that's because he was lucky, or if it was because the Shadow thought he was trying to resurrect Malkier..... which of course he wasn't. ;)

From the impression I get about the nature of fighting in the Blight I believe that the shadow would try to protect Lan if he made it known that he planned to lead a large expidition into the Blight.

I said the Ground work is laid if RJ wants to go there with LAN ,,, and I would like it if it happened ,,, your misunderstanding of what I meant is your fault not mine ...

as far as Mat is concerned the ground work is laid there also,,, again it is up to RJ ,,, and again I would like it if Mat were taught to Channel ...

RJ went to the trouble to make a BIG POINT out of the Fact that VERY GOOD LUCK is a sign of ability to channel,,, he did not say it was a sign of Channeling, at least as far as I know...

RJ went to the trouble to make a BIG POINT out of the Fact that VERY GOOD LUCK is a sign of ability to channel,,, he did not say it was a sign of Channeling, at least as far as I know...

Here is obviously where your opinions differ.

CrazyMike thinks that luck is a sign of the ability to channel while the rest thinks it's a sign of active channeling.

Well when I read NS and while reading tWoT I've got the impression that it is a sign of active channeling. What you first learn when you start channeling on your own is usually a way of compulsion, a way of healing or another weave which can save lives. You do not usually know what you are doing so you see it as a sign that you are lucky.

But if that was the case why would they murder Diryk? He is like eight years old and there's no way he could already have learned to channel. Even the BA can't be that dumb that they believe it. It may be that they have twisted the logic and instead believe that it is a sign of a man that has the ability to channel instead of a sign of a man actively channeling.

I don't know how it works otherwise.

I said , and meant , that Very Good Luck is a SIGN that a person, man or woman , has the ability to learn to channel...

That is what it say's in the New Spring, Epilogue,,, if RJ said it, or wrote it in the book, then that is what the rule is on the subject,,, however, if RJ has scaped that Idea and changed it in the WoT series, then that is the new rule, even if it is inconsistant with NS...

The only charecters we are likely to see start channelling in AMoL are Gawyn and Galad. I do not see it happening, but I think it would be cool if Thom and/or Lan were to learn to channel, maybe as part of the Epologue asking Rand to test and train them, but this is very unlikely.

Yeah, I agree Thom is a good choice,,, but do you remember when Mat went through the Twisted Door Ter'Angreal and met the Foxxy Eelfinn, they caleed him an Aes Sedai,,, so either Mat can be Trained to channel or every human is an Aes Sedai ,,, I am sure the Eelfinn can detect the ability to channel, after all they always take a piece of the Souls ability to channel, or maybe not in Mats case because he struck no bargan with them in exchange for his Gifts or wishes...

This is growing more ridiculous by the minute. Why are you people even responding to Mike? The guy is making up "facts" as he goes. Some of the most preposterous comments I have ever seen on a message board in my life have been made in this thread. Finns calling Mat Aes Sedai? Bull. Luck being a sign of the ability to learn to channel? Bull. If he had actually read the books he would know that. Every single argument he delivers is fallacious on some level or other.

Also, a comment for Luckers on the subject of language. We are of course not talking about typos here. It happens when we type too quickly. I am talking about blatant disregard for the rules of a language. You may be dyslexic, but your posts do not reflect that, except in a few typo-style errors, which is no big deal. I have them too. And of course language exists to portray ideas, of course language is a tool. A broken tool is not a very good tool, though, and it is not a stretch for you or me to see how language misused easily creates misunderstandings. You seem to be opposed to a written standard just because you are dyslexic, which does not seem to make much sense in the light that most of your posts are very well written, which shows extra effort on your behalf as a dyslexic.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah' date=' well the reason I've been using the full names is , I am looking them up on

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/

and just copying them from there,,, there has been a lot of childish critizim of my spelling, punctuation and grammer in my post by would be 3rd grade teachers who do not have a worthy oppinion of their own to post and can only satisfy their impotent ego's by attacking me, and seeing as how they are afraid to attack anyone else online here and they obviously do not have an I.Q. above the level of Moron ,,, I have tried to be very exact about what I am saying ,,, I can take disagreement with my post, no problem, at least, even tho mostly wrong, it is in the line of discussion,,, but moron's that insist on correcting everyone else's grammer and punctuation and spelling instead of expressing their oppinions on the subject at hand are absolute worthless dip's who I wish would go diddle themselves somewhere else...[/quote']

reminds me of a post on the first asmo podcast where a wanker bitches and wines about pronunciation. (oh no did i spell that right? i hope no one flames me for it!) i told him to go have a nice big cup of STFU. as far as this thread is concerned i have no bloody idea, but Lan channeling would be pretty cool, but i doubt it'll happen.

Archived