DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are Warders bound by the Three Oaths?

Freddy Ramirez

Well first off, I'm new here, so Hi all!

Anyways, I'm starting my reread of the series, and I haven't read any WoT in maybe 10 months, so I'm sorry if this was answered somewhere in the books.

And if they are, would Rand be? He doesn't really follow any of the rules the most Warders do, but he might be bound to the oaths now...

Anyways, I'm starting my reread of the series, and I haven't read any WoT in maybe 10 months, so I'm sorry if this was answered somewhere in the books.

And if they are, would Rand be? He doesn't really follow any of the rules the most Warders do, but he might be bound to the oaths now...

Welcome to DM!

To answer your question, no they are not. The oaths only work on those who can channel. The binding rods were used on criminals who could chanel in the AoL.

Welcome to DM!

To answer your question, no they are not. The oaths only work on those who can channel. The binding rods were used on criminals who could chanel in the AoL.

But Rand can channel.

Rand and the Ashaman can't be, we see that from the cleansing alone. Flynn attacks Demandred without provocation and at the very least he's Corele's Warder. Speaking of oaths in The Making in TOM it mentions Grady, Neald, 6 WO and Masuri before Perrin begins Mahallinir but it doesn't mention her after. If she did take part, she's BA, but it doesn't mention her after the beginning.

Welcome to DM!

But Rand can channel.

Sorry I should have specififed but I thought it went without saying. Even if they can channel they would have to swear on the oath rod themselves. It doesn't transfer over...

Speaking of oaths in The Making in TOM it mentions Grady, Neald, 6 WO and Masuri before Perrin begins Mahallinir but it doesn't mention her after. If she did take part, she's BA, but it doesn't mention her after the beginning.

I think Masuri could have entered the circle, especially in the beginning. She can't exit the circle until the one who focuses the flows releases her. I don't think it violates the oaths under those circumstances.

Rand and the Ashaman can't be, we see that from the cleansing alone. Flynn attacks Demandred without provocation and at the very least he's Corele's Warder. Speaking of oaths in The Making in TOM it mentions Grady, Neald, 6 WO and Masuri before Perrin begins Mahallinir but it doesn't mention her after. If she did take part, she's BA, but it doesn't mention her after the beginning.

During The Cleansing, the only people that the defenders expect to see are of the Shadow. So that doesn't mean much.

But in answer to the general question: no. Rand would have noticed if he couldn't lie since Alanna bonded him, and we've seen no mention of it.

Not to mention Rand's destruction of Natrim's Barrow.

Speaking of oaths in The Making in TOM it mentions Grady, Neald, 6 WO and Masuri before Perrin begins Mahallinir but it doesn't mention her after. If she did take part, she's BA, but it doesn't mention her after the beginning.

I think Masuri could have entered the circle, especially in the beginning.

Also, not even Neald really knew what he was doing, by the sound of it. "I don't know, it just feels right", or what was it he said? All he said to the others was "I need a circle now, don't argue" and they complied. We also know that an Aes Sedai can kinda lie if they really believe they are speaking the truth. If they have trustworthy information that they accept as the truth, then they can say that that is the truth even if it end up being shown to be false.

I'm not sure if we have seen Aes Sedai actually say that Severing can't be Healed, but since we now know that it can, that should have been impossible for them to say, unless this little "loophole" existed.

So, as long as the Aes Sedai did not know that she was participating in the making of a Powerwrought weapon, or if she simply said that Perrin is a Ta'veren, not a man, she could join the circle.

She can't exit the circle until the one who focuses the flows releases her. I don't think it violates the oaths under those circumstances.

Well, we do know that the A'dam is basicly just a forced link. it also prevent any additional linking. We have also seen Seanchan PoV mention that the Aes Sedai Damane have shown to be close to useless as weapons. This (probably. but not sure if it is actually stated) because of the oaths.

The Aes Sedai are in forced links but still cannot attack.

Hmm, come to think of it, it is still the Damane doing the actual weaving, not the Sul'dam, so maybe this argument don't really hold..

Although Warders are not bound themselves, I believe in a secondary fashion they are bound to follow their Aes Sedai (be them BA or not) due to the nature of the Bonding of themselves as Warders. This is, of course, if they are not channelers themselves. Have we ever heard of Warders that were unruly and would this prove them as potential channelers (not wilders of course...)?

Some sul'dam can see the weaving (Tuon mentions several times she almost can see the weaves, she just doesn't know them for what they are - we also see this process and the denial of it with Bethamin and the other former sul'dam) and force the damane to make the weaves. However, there are ambiguous accounts in at least TPoD where the sul'dam appears to be glowing, but I will scour it and make sure I'm not lying...It is this 'forced link' terminology that makes me wonder whether the a'dam allows for the cumulative power of the two or just the one forced to be subservient to the bracelet holder.

Archived