DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most "Tortured Soul" in fantasy/sci-fi??

The Fisher King

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a huge BSG fan and it's chalk full of tortured characters. The two that stand out most to me are Starbuck

severely abused childhood, feels responsible for the death of her fiancee, is captured and thoroughly mind-jacked by the Cylon Leobin, dies and comes back with knowledge of how to get to Earth, but nobody believes her.

and Baltar

inadvertently helped the Cylons destroy the human race. Sees inexplicable visions of Six. No matter what he does, people are always suspicious of him, especially Roslin. Gets all the blame for the Cylon invasion of New Caprica even though he couldn't have done anything about it. He's constantly trying to overcome his greedy hedonistic nature and can't ever quite seem to do it until the very end.

Richard and Kahlen from SoT. No matter what they do people and situations are constantly tearing them apart when all they want is to live together in peace. Faith of the Fallen was one of my favorite books of all time, but the last three books of the series are particularly harsh for Richard and Kahlen.

Most of the others I'd mention, people have already mentioned.

I agree with your BSG characters. I also hugely agree with the Doc.

My big one is Winston Smith from 1984. That poor, poor guy.

why do people always pick rand, i mean yea he has a lot of problems, and may verry well die in the end, but in the meantime he has incredible power and powers, good frinds and three count them three hot chicks falling all over him. man that must suck.

Because even having good things in one's outside life isn't always enough to counter what is happening in one's own mind. The good things can only penetrate as far as the mind will allow, and if the mind is too bent on brooding...

There seem to be a lot of oft-mentioned characters here I'm not familiar with. I guess I need to read more.

My picks:

Ender Wiggin (mostly toward the end of Ender's Game)

Rand al'Thor

Arthur Dent - poor guy, can't seem to catch a break (or a decent cup of tea)

Tanis Half-Elven - not as broody as Raistlin, but at war with himself early on, then having a nihilistic crisis of faith later

Angel (from Buffy/Angel) - kind of obvious, it's the very definition of the character

If we're going with Hitchhiker's Guide, then you have to include Marvin.

The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million: they were the worst' date=' too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that, I went into a bit of a decline.[/quote']

Archived