DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Asmodean Reborn?

Mowbray

Asmodean has been one of the most underplayed Forsaken in WoT so far. He appeared in book 4, when Lanfear mentioned him as Rand's teacher, and was wiped out in book 5. Of all the Forsaken, he has been given the least spotlight; even Be'lal got more than him. It may be because RJ wanted it.

However, of all the Forsaken, Asmodean has proved to be more destructive. He brought Trollocs in the Three-Fold Land for the first time, nearly snatched the Aiel from Rand by branding Couladin's arms and created the rift in Aiel that continued to play havoc till Book 11. On the other hand, following was what other Forsaken did:

1. Graendal - Trying to snare Perrin, but failed;

2. Aginor - Tried to steal clean Saidin, and then tried to create rift in Aes Sedai, but failed in both accounts;

3. Balthamael - Tried to steal clean saidin, and then tried to bring rift in Black Tower, but failed;

4. Be'lal - Tried to get Callandor, but failed;

5. Ishamael - Tried to turn the ta'veren, but failed;

6. Lanfear - The biggest failure;

7. Semirhage - Apart from traumatising Rand, did nothing noteworthy;

8. Mesaana - Tried to take on White Tower, but failed to leave a long-lasting impact;

9. Moghedien - Another underplayed Forsaken, she tore Birgitte off TAR, tormented Nynaeve and did crimes that have long-lasting impact on the victims' minds.

10. Sammael - Tried to snare Rand, but failed;

11. Rahvin - Tried to control Andor and Cairhien, and left long-lasting impact in Civil War that ensued;

12. Demandred - No idea

From the above list, it is quite clear that Asmodean has been most effective in his tactics than others; he virtually reduced the Aiel-numbers till the end.

This brings me to his relationship with Lanfear. In TSR, when he was defeated, he said something very interesting to Lanfear:

'... I came here for you.'

Later on, when Lanfear decided to leave him in Rand's hands, he said this:

'... Please Mierin! Please!'

As far as I have seen in the entire series till now, no Forsaken mentioned the other by his/her old name, but by the names he/she donned after going over the dark. These words are too less, and made in a situation that rendered them nearly insignificant, but the fact remains. Asmodean named Lanfear almost like a lover and a friend, rather than a Forsaken asking another Forsaken for help. Even Demandred and Sammael knew each other, but they never mentioned the other but by their Forsaken name.

This brings us to the dark prophecy in TGH:

"Daughter of the Night, she walks again.

The ancient war, she yet fights.

Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still.

Who shall stand against her coming?

The Shining Walls shall kneel.

Blood feeds blood.

Blood calls blood.

Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.

The man who channels stands alone.

He gives his friends for sacrifice.

Two roads before him, one to death beyond dying, one to life eternal.

Which will he choose? Which will he choose?

What hand shelters? What hand slays?

(refrain)

Luc came to the Mountains of Dhoom.

Isam waited in the high passes.

The hunt is now begun. The Shadow's hounds now course, and kill.

One did live, and one did die, but both are.3

The Time of Change has come.

(refrain)

The Watchers wait on Toman's Head.

The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree.

Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.

Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.

Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.

Now the Great Lord comes.

(refrain)"

Check the bold part. It says that Lanfear seeks her "new lover" who shall serve her and die, and serve her still. Asmodean served her in the Waste, died and, I believe, he'll return to serve her again.

DO won't leave Asmodean to death alone, like he didn't let Lanfear die. Asmodean's treachery was worse, having handed Rand weapons DO never wanted. This makes me believe that either DO has lied to the Forsaken about not ressurecting Asmodean, or he'll be resurrecting him in AMoL for the last act.

In short, from what I have seen so far, Asmodean is all set to play an important role still, as he's the only Forsaken who has not been killed by Balefire and is not ressurected. Moreover, he's the one who has made the biggest impact in the series so far, something even Mesaana can't compete with.

What do you think? Is Asmodean done, or is there anything left for him to do yet?

We don't know how Asmo died (though comments from RJ hints at balefire). However, RJ has said that it is not possible for the DO to recycle Asmo even if he had wanted to. So no, Asmodean does not have a role to play anymore.

What does that mean. Why can't the DO recycle him? I was always hoping that Asmodean would turn to the light, and be Rand's best friend. He was so awesome, and deserves to be with Lanfear!

I have to take exception to this. Just on Rand's torture alone ,do you realize the full extent of her actions. Rand almost obliterated everyone because after his episode with Semi, he thought he had to be cuendillar and he almost broke himself. She bled out at least one member of the Seanchan royal family on the Crystal Throne. The Seanchan are now starting a civil war on the eve of the last battle. I would say this is significantly noteworthy.

How about the murder of the entire Seanchan royal family (minus Tuon) and the virtual destruction of the Seanchan home continent? The entire place was plunged into civil war due to power struggles for the Crystal Throne. I'd argue that Semirhage has done more than most of the Forsaken.

Edit: Smittyphi kind of ninja'd me there.

Archived