DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Female Dragon Reborn

Frost Wynters

I inferred from Aringar, that souls are neither male nor female, but rather the lives they inhabit are. That being said, i wonder if there has ever been a female dragon Anyone care to seculate?

I would say it is the complete opposite.

We have Aran'gar, who used to be male but got put into a female body. That did not make him start to channel Saidin, which would happen if souls do not have gender as you suggest. He kept channeling Saidar so that mean his soul (or thread) is what is deciding your gender and by that what half of the One Power you channel.

There is also this:

Netherlands tour April 2001, Leiden - Aan'allein reporting

Q: In this same Age, in a different Turning of the Wheel of Time, could it be possible that it wouldn't be Rand's soul that was spun out as the Dragon, but for a different, female soul to take on this role?

Jordan said "Yes" then maybe a few more words and only then did I remember to actually put the recorder on again . . .

RJ: . . . it would have to be. Err, in the differences between the same Age in different turnings of the Wheel, are that.. as for an analogy: imagine two tapestries hanging on a wall, and you look at them from the back of the room to the front of the store. And to look at them, they look identical to you. But as you get closer, you begin to see differences. And if you get close enough, they don't look anything at all alike. That is the difference between the Ages. Between the Age in one Turning and the Age in another. So it's quite possible that someone other than Rand could be the reborn soul of the Dragon Reborn.

Q: It would be the same soul, or it would be a different soul?

RJ: It would be the same soul. That is, that is the belief of the world that I've set up, that it's the same soul. It's a soul of someone bound to the Wheel, which is spun out for the purposes, for the Wheel's purposes really, to attempt to re-balance the Weaving of the Pattern.

But the soul would always be male. Souls don't change gender, so . . .

. . . so the soul of the Dragon Reborn is always going to be male, just as Birgitte's soul is always born as a woman, just as Ameresu's soul . . . is always born as a woman. There are divisions here, and they are not interchangeable.

https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dcjspjqg_74xw3j58sj&revision=_latest

I inferred from Aringar, that souls are neither male nor female, but rather the lives they inhabit are. That being said, i wonder if there has ever been a female dragon Anyone care to seculate?

I would say it is the complete opposite.

We have Aran'gar, who used to be male but got put into a female body. That did not make him start to channel Saidin, which would happen if souls do not have gender as you suggest. He kept channeling Saidar so that mean his soul (or thread) is what is deciding your gender and by that what half of the One Power you channel.

There is also this:

Netherlands tour April 2001, Leiden - Aan'allein reporting

Q: In this same Age, in a different Turning of the Wheel of Time, could it be possible that it wouldn't be Rand's soul that was spun out as the Dragon, but for a different, female soul to take on this role?

Jordan said "Yes" then maybe a few more words and only then did I remember to actually put the recorder on again . . .

RJ: . . . it would have to be. Err, in the differences between the same Age in different turnings of the Wheel, are that.. as for an analogy: imagine two tapestries hanging on a wall, and you look at them from the back of the room to the front of the store. And to look at them, they look identical to you. But as you get closer, you begin to see differences. And if you get close enough, they don't look anything at all alike. That is the difference between the Ages. Between the Age in one Turning and the Age in another. So it's quite possible that someone other than Rand could be the reborn soul of the Dragon Reborn.

Q: It would be the same soul, or it would be a different soul?

RJ: It would be the same soul. That is, that is the belief of the world that I've set up, that it's the same soul. It's a soul of someone bound to the Wheel, which is spun out for the purposes, for the Wheel's purposes really, to attempt to re-balance the Weaving of the Pattern.

But the soul would always be male. Souls don't change gender, so . . .

. . . so the soul of the Dragon Reborn is always going to be male, just as Birgitte's soul is always born as a woman, just as Ameresu's soul . . . is always born as a woman. There are divisions here, and they are not interchangeable.

https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dcjspjqg_74xw3j58sj&revision=_latest

Yet there's another quote I've seen paired with this, in which Jordan says that the Dragon is always male, but if the Wheel needed a female dragon, it would weave out _____ (some name I forget), which to me, implies that the Dragon itself is an identity attached to that particular soul, however a female champion is possible depending upon the particular needs of a given turning, which seems to be part of what Jordan was talking about in the quote you gave.

Archived