DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What Accent Would the Characters Have?

Guest DragonUnborn

Guest DragonUnborn

I've been wondering this for a few years now.

If The Eye of the World was adapted into a movie, what accent would the characters have?

The Wheel of Time has been written by an American author, so I think the chances of the characters having a common (not southern, or city) American accent would seem likely.

The T.V. series, Legend of the Seeker, which is adapted from the Sword of Truth series, by Terry Goodkind, has all of its characters speaking in American accents. Remember, the author of the book series is American too.

Most of the LOTR's movie's characters spoke in English accents, but that might be because Tolkien was British.

So, what do you think? I'd like to see your thoughts.

I always pictured a sorta southern accent for the two rivers folks. A Brahmin like accent for caemlin, same language, and much he same accent but different inflection. I think the Aiel are like the brittish, simply because of how common forgotten words that are old tongue but their meaning still stands are present in their language.

I think . . . taraboners? Whatever Bayle Doman is. I always imagined it as either irish, Scottish, or greek.

It was established on here a very long time ago, that Moiraine has an Australian accent.

:wheel:

Is that a joke? Like most Americans, I couldn't tell an Aussie accent from a British one (other than Scottish) if my life depended on it-but i can pick up a Canadian like that (snaps fingers). Multiple characters from multiple places should have different accents to make it realistic. I actually hope they don't make a movie of this world, simply because it would have no chance to not be disappointing. The LOTR movies were disappointing, and so was the last Harry Potter movie. How much more would these be?

simple. regardless of what RJ says... it doesnt read to me as being dutch. it reads to me as being scottish or irish, this is further compounded by the accent as read by the michael kramer in the WoT audio books.

Fair enough with your interpretation on the text but how an audio book is read should have zero bearing on the situation.

only relevant in that its obviously a common interpretation given that the "artist" who did the official massmarket audio books for WoT - made a similar interpretation.

Think you are reading too much into that. Does anyone know if he was actually that core of a fan? I'm not that familiar with the audio books but I am very surprised that Kramer would do unique accents for various nations. So he is actually trying to be a voice actor as opposed to just narrating?

Edited by Suttree

yeah they're voice actors.

loial voice sounds appropriately giant and thick.... elayne sounds like a prissy queen-type (royal english sounding accent) .. so does gawyn/galad... illianers like domon have the illian accent.

seanchan like tuon, suroth,etc have a slurring seanchan accent as they're described to do so in the books.

Edited by Vam

loial voice sounds appropriately giant and thick.... elayne sounds like a prissy queen-type (royal english sounding accent) .. so does gawyn/galad... illianers like domon have the illian accent.

seanchan like tuon, suroth,etc have a slurring seanchan accent as they're described to do so in the books.

Wow, sounds cool. Will have to check it out one of these days...

Wow, sounds cool. Will have to check it out one of these days...

it ok.. i like that they do appropriate evil voices for ishamael and appropriately insane voices for lew therin telamon-in-rands-head.

the longer you listen to it the better the audio books become actually. especially because when the characters are young... they try to the make their voices sound young.. like they're still teenagers. (edit: what i mean to say is that this might turn off some people from the EotW audiobook)

The way they do it is that chapters that are predominantly filled with male characters are done by michael kramer, chapters that are predominantly female characters are done by kate redding.

some people dont like it because it means you have a male doing some female characters in some chapters and vice versa rather than having the guy do all the guy voices and the girl do all the girl voices.

Its pretty decent as far as audio books go, IMO

Edited by Vam

As far as accents not specified by RJ, I seem to think French accents for people from Tarabon.

I've always figured that both Tarabon and Arad Doman would have some form of either Arab or Persian accent. Cairhien to me seems the most likely to have a French accent.

Edit: I see the Domani are supposed to have an Indian accent, so I just have to give the Taraboners a Pakistani accent.

Edited by balefired-ed2

i disagree with illianers being dutch.

i thought it was irish/scottish who said they "do be" things..

if you listen tot he audio books... bayle domon sounds decidedly scottish/irish

I thought they sounded like pirates...

Speaking as someone with Dutch relatives, I can't imagine the way they talk in a Dutch accent. Or any accent except pirate.

+1 for the Illianers sounding a mix between Scottish and Welsh. That's the way I always thought of it anyways. But I could see it being Dutch also.

For the Seanchan, I always thought of them as having a Russian accent for some reason. So when I read that they have a Texas accent, I laughed a little. I was SO far off.