DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What does it mean to be Aes Sedai?

jsbrads

Why do you say the oaths mislead people? (Not saying that's wrong, necessarily, just wondering.)

The oathes don't mislead ppl, AS mislead people.

Later in this string someone complains about how maybe I think AS should be solving all of my problems for me. No, merely that lying to ppl (thru misleading them) is the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Also seems they should have no problem fighting damane. In Dumai Wells (or whatever it was called) one AS said they waded into the middle of the battle so they could feel endangered to act. The presence of a Damane should be enough to feel endangered.

Note: that AS at the wells said she had to wade into the battle to feel the danger, was WRONG, by that logic they could engage in any war; also with a small dome made of air large enough for her and her warder (I am assuming 99% of AS can make a person sized dome alone) she would not have felt endangered and lashing out with the power to destroy Shaido ppl not really acceptable by those standards.

Faces: The binding creates an invisible exoskeleton/shell/skin on the outside/inside of the AS. the presence of this shell prevents normal deformation to wrinkles (but old ppl still have thinner delicate old person looking skin). Remove the shell and put it back right away, no effect, the skin doesn't have enough time to sag

Ageing: Live 20 yrs normal, age normally. Bind yourself and you age at say approx triple the rate of unbound channeler. Remove the binding and resume where you left off. say AoL channeler lives 700 approx 9x normal healthy life. Bound AS live max only 3x normal life (Sea folk seem to live longer, but I don't think book got into it, just mentions this one's great great grandmother or such)

Siuan at forty looks mature, but ageless, stilled she looks not ageless and less mature, but she looks maybe 27, so she aged 1/3 x normal during twenty yrs she was AS, now healed she will age at 1/9 x normal. Disclaimer I am not attached to any of these numbers, you can make them higher or lower, the numbers are just there to give you an idea of what I am trying to describe.

Never

Group:

Members Posts:

100 Joined:

24-March 10 LocationSkien, Norway Posted Today, 07:10 AM

Hemis AlRhoid, on 02 September 2011 - 01:01 AM, said:

I had never read that RJ confirmed the flaw. The flaw as seen in tPoD doesn't manifest itself any differently than the problems the other channelers were having which is why I was suspicious of it being real. I'd always thought Rand's actions at the Stone were simply his compassion for the girl and overestimating what the power can do even pulled through Callandor. But confirmed by RJ means it's there. As far as the ageless look, I'm not sure that if you removed the oaths after having your face physically altered for so long a time that it wouldn't retain the ageless look. Have we seen an Aes Sedai that has removed the oaths after a hundred or so years and not through stilling? I'm still suspicious of her life span.

Mrs. Anan, I believe.

I'm not disputing that there is a flaw but I've always wondered if the reason that Saidin was 'acting funny' might be because of Elayne unweaving and dropping her gateway during the escape from Ebou Dar? IIRC one of Rand's Ash'aman came from there and that it was noticed that the gateway was a bit wonky and then snapped into place? Not to mention all the threads that went floating out from the use of the Bowl of the Winds. If anyone can help me out here with appropriate quotes from book/s?

The flaw in Callandor caused Rand's "wildness of the mind". The overuse of the Bowl of the Winds caused both saidar and saidin to act peculiar and difficult to control in the vicinity of Ebou Dar for a time. To paraphrase, the weaves resisted forming then suddenly snapped into place.

Back to the topic of the thread, it goes back to Siuan's lecture about why the three oaths are crucial: they're a statement of philosophy of how the Aes Sedai should deal with the world. Aes Sedai should be trustworthy, shouldn't help people kill each other, and shouldn't use the power to do harm. It's their version of the Hippocratic Oath. The problem is, of course, that the oaths themselves have replaced the philosophy behind them. The letter of the law has replaced the spirit of the law. Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve have, at various times, started to consider the underlying problems of the oaths, but the reality is that the Tower isn't going to turn it's back on 2000 years of tradition overnight.

-- dwn

I'm still hoping this will be addressed as well. But a vain hope, I am coming to believe.

Still, Rand did tantalize us in ToM by saying that he alone (in the Light) was properly raised AS. Raised AS w/out the oaths.

I hope he reveals how they did it in the old days, and that, then, becomes an option for current Aes Sedai.

How many living are truly worthy of a third name? Moiraine? Cadsuane? Possibly Egwene? Nynaeve? Pevara? Not many.

Earning a third name was a real big thing. Among the forsaken only Ishamael, Demandred, Sammael, Aginor, Asmodean (for his music I guess, so it's not all about channeling), Bel'al, Greandal and Semirhage earned it. That leaves five of them out, Balthamel, Rahvin, Lanfear, Mesaana, and Moghedien. And they were at the top (for the shadow at least. I believe Moghedien was a secretary before she switched sides.)

Cadsuane would probably have earned one, possibly Moiraine. For Nyneave and Egwene I think it would depend on how they do in the coming events, afterall both of them have only been Aes Sedai for like what, a year? I don't see why Pevara should get one, she's done nothing incredible except be a likable red... On second thought yeah that should probably earn her one.

If I remember right Moggy was an "adviser of investments".

Oh yes that's right, a rather shady one who violated job ethics right? Though I could have sworn I'd read somewhere that she had become a secretary of sorts in LTT's staff when war broke out. Didn't Birgitte discover her true allegience and mess up one of her plans to take LTT down?

If I remember right Moggy was an "adviser of investments".

Oh yes that's right, a rather shady one who violated job ethics right? Though I could have sworn I'd read somewhere that she had become a secretary of sorts in LTT's staff when war broke out. Didn't Birgitte discover her true allegience and mess up one of her plans to take LTT down?

You are correct sir!

Luckers : "Thirdly, Cadsuane is Ageless, and therefore bound by her Oaths." Couldnt she just use an inverted, tied off weave to make her look ageless?

Where would she have learned how to invert her weaves? She appears to have only recently learned how to do so.

You do have Cadsuane's own PoV which makes it obvious that a) she's bound to the three AS oaths b) she's not Black Ajah or DF.

Winter's Heart--it's either chapter ten or thirteen, can't remember which. It's called 'Wonderful News'. Cadsuane directly shows that she once attempted to hunt the Black Ajah, and failed (she thought she had them till they slipped through her fingers). She also, in the same chapter, dances around the truth in her head ("I don't give a fig about your coramoor," all the figs in the world about the Dragon Reborn, but not one for the Coramoor) [Paraphrasing, I don't have the books on me].

Of course Verin dances around the truth in her own head at one point, but given Cadsuane definately isn't a darkfriend, and given in a CoT chapter (ornaments--33?) she shows how important she holds the Oaths to be when thinking about Nynaeve.

Archived