DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Grolm vs. trollocs

ironisles

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this like a thunderdome deal? cause i normally don't go for the mel, but that was a good movie.

Lol no just wondering how'd they do in battle. I was thinking about Egwene's vision during the accepted tests about Seanchan being pushed back by shadow-spawn.

^In the alternate reality worlds if Rand does not proclaim himself DR the Shadow always wins...Seanchan destroy the Nations and the WH, the Seanchan are then destroyed utterly by the Shadow.

Without the DR to save their rear ends, Light side always fails. Same would likely apply in AoL without LTT.

Creature contest:

Armed, slight advantage to Trolloc I would say.

Unarmed Trolloc vs. Grolm, the Grolm, unless we are talking about the largest of the Trollocs (10 feet+), then possibly even odds.

Armed, a behemoth sized Trolloc would be too much for a Grolm.

I would love to see the Gholam vs. Super T-1000 Darkhound that cannot be killed by anything beside balefire (FoH Darkhounds Rand fought) and possibly Fain dagger.

^In the alternate reality worlds if Rand does not proclaim himself DR the Shadow always wins...Seanchan destroy the Nations and the WH, the Seanchan are then destroyed utterly by the Shadow.

Without the DR to save their rear ends, Light side always fails. Same would likely apply in AoL without LTT.

Creature contest:

Armed, slight advantage to Trolloc I would say.

Unarmed Trolloc vs. Grolm, the Grolm, unless we are talking about the largest of the Trollocs (10 feet+), then possibly even odds.

Armed, a behemoth sized Trolloc would be too much for a Grolm.

I would love to see the Gholam vs. Super T-1000 Darkhound that cannot be killed by anything beside balefire (FoH Darkhounds Rand fought) and possibly Fain dagger.

Lopar can reach ten feet tall on their hind legs..bears on steroids.

I made the point in another thread that in tGH Lanfear shows an ability to control Grolm. Makes you wonder if all the 'I wonder if a grolm could beat a Trolloc' comments that have happened in the books are not set up for the Seanchan recieving a sharp surprise.

I made the point in another thread that in tGH Lanfear shows an ability to control Grolm. Makes you wonder if all the 'I wonder if a grolm could beat a Trolloc' comments that have happened in the books are not set up for the Seanchan recieving a sharp surprise.

Problem is, that only someone with the Chosen mark can control Shadowspawn. No one else can.

One disadvantage any animal would have is that Trolloc and Myrddraal blood tends to be pretty nasty stuff. Not the sort of thing you'd want to swallow.

-- dwn

Only Myrddraal blood. And don't forget, wolves also attack Myrddraal.

Problem is, that only someone with the Chosen mark can control Shadowspawn. No one else can.

What does that have to do with anything? Grolm aren't shadowspawn...

Would you mind reiterating those arguments here please.

As I read it, she's merely taking advantage of the "local inhabitants" :P She knows she's never in any danger due to the power.

Yeah, boss. I think, even if she summoned them, she only counted on them doing what came naturally, and she would only need to draw their attention (easily done by controlling wind direction, for example).

To the point, the unusual Seanchan fauna was actually brought to the Seanchan continent by local AS, who used them to eradicate it from Shadowspawn. I guess we have our answer in that, don't we?

The Shadowspawn in the Seanchan continent would of course be of much limited number and very likely less diverse (likely no Darkhounds, Worms and so forth).

One-on-one there is no Seanchan monster that can take out a Myddrraal or a regular Darkhound...forget about a gholam, T-1000 Darkhound or a Worm.

Perrin felled a Darkhound with two arrows. Nothing that a grolm can't accomplish. But I agree that those Seanchan animals won't win the war against the Shadow, if that's what you're getting at.

with two arrows he managed to make it fall to the ground. We do not know if it died because of those injuries

with two arrows he managed to make it fall to the ground. We do not know if it died because of those injuries

Yes, that's true. And it was actually three arrows. Still, it says a bit more than that - the Darkhound didn't rise before Moiraine unleashed BF. Also, it doesn't say whether Moiraine hit it at all.

Perrin felled a Darkhound with two arrows. Nothing that a grolm can't accomplish. But I agree that those Seanchan animals won't win the war against the Shadow, if that's what you're getting at.

What I am saying is that Shadow monsters > Seanchan monsters in most cases.

Monster vs. monster:

Gholam, nothing can touch it. T-1000 Darkhounds Rand faced in FoH, essentially nothing can touch it, pretty much equal to a Gholam.

Worms. Myddrraal, forget it.

Regular Darkhound: Somewhere in the series it states that a Darkhound is "almost" as powerful as a Myddraal. Yes, it took 3 arrows from a Two Rivers bow to take one out, if it actually died...Their teeth can cut through steel, their bite is always fatal, even their saliva can kill.

Drakhar, ok, Seanchan flying beasts should be able to fight them on equal footing one-on-one. Trollocs ok, same as scenario as the Drakhar.

As we saw in all the alternate realities, if the DR does not take up the mantle, the world is ALWAYS loses to the Shadow.

I believe RJ said that the Light may well achieve a draw, even without Rand.

I believe the quote refers to the Champion of the Light and not specially this champion (DR). We have seen that in ALL the alternate realities, the Light loses if Rand does not pick up the mantle. So therefore, without Rand, the Light will lose 100% of the time, no draw, just total annihilation. It is TG, it is win or die time as mentioned in the series.

Would you mind reiterating those arguments here please.

As I read it, she's merely taking advantage of the "local inhabitants" :P She knows she's never in any danger due to the power.

She was able to summon over a hundred, from a distance, in an instant, after Rand killed the first five she summoned (she wanted him to turn toward the Portal Stone, and thought five would do, but when it didn't over a hundred more just appeared, after near a week of not seeing any). Even if that is the limit, it makes no difference--summoning the grolm away from the fight achieves the same as turning them on their masters, and I wouldn't be surprised if she could do that--tGH certainly implies she drove them to blood lust.

I believe RJ said that the Light may well achieve a draw, even without Rand.

I believe the quote refers to the Champion of the Light and not specially this champion (DR). We have seen that in ALL the alternate realities, the Light loses if Rand does not pick up the mantle. So therefore, without Rand, the Light will lose 100% of the time, no draw, just total annihilation. It is TG, it is win or die time as mentioned in the series.

Two quotes that may relate:

Scifi.com Chat 1 November 1998

Rothaar: When Rand takes Verin and the others through a portal stone in The Great Hunt, at the end of each life he hears "I have won again Lews Therin". I thought that if the Dark One won even once the wheel would be broken and therefore the Dragon would not be reborn again. How could the Dark One have won before to be able to say "again"?

RJ: There are degrees of victory. The Dark One can achieve victory by breaking free, but can also achieve lesser victories. Such as by stopping the Dragon Reborn from doing other things he was born to do. It isn't as simple as him being born to fight the Dark One. It's never simple.

&

Q: At one point in the story we see Ishamael talking to Rand, and telling him that they have fought countless times in the past, but this is the final time. Is there anything about his Age that makes it special?

RJ: No . . . Every Age is repeated, there is nothing that makes this Age any different from any other turnings of the Wheel. The Wheel is endless.

As far as we know there is nothing unique about this go round...

Archived