DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Demandred

Leyrann

Who is Demandred  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think Demandred is (first read my post, please))

• Lunar Galgan
    • King Roedran
    • Mazrim Taim
    • Jarid Sarand
    • Lord Bashere
    • Someone in Seanchan/Shara/Land of the Madmen
    • Other (please tell who)
  2. 2. Where had Demandred influence

• The Black Tower
    • Murandy
    • Seanchan mainland
    • Seanchan Randland
    • Land of the Madmen
    • Dragon's Empire
    • Borderland army
    • Other (again, please tell where)

I thought you just did go off topic.

SHHH!!!!!

Or the fact that you really are a 16-year old girl

My name is Esmerelda, and I think a lot of myself, but its ok because you can tell I will grow out of it with time.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boys and Girls!! This off topic stuff is... well, its off topic!!

I'm catching up on all the topics I've missed from taking a break from the WoT boards... but I've yet to see anyone talk about the possibility the Demo is actually working with the ____ in the blight. If many of the readers here are correct, its a large city with dark friends and perhaps a litany of channelers... could THIS be what Demo has "prepared for war"? If there IS a city in the Blight, then all the certainty by reason of deduction get thrown out the window; after all, we used the Randland map to determine where he might be, and there is no phantom city in the blight to consider on said map.

If there is a city/civilization we knew nothing about, all bets are off...maybe. Could BS be hinting about this blight thing through Demo's whereabouts?

Boys and Girls!! This off topic stuff is... well, its off topic!!

I'm catching up on all the topics I've missed from taking a break from the WoT boards... but I've yet to see anyone talk about the possibility the Demo is actually working with the ____ in the blight. If many of the readers here are correct, its a large city with dark friends and perhaps a litany of channelers... could THIS be what Demo has "prepared for war"? If there IS a city in the Blight, then all the certainty by reason of deduction get thrown out the window; after all, we used the Randland map to determine where he might be, and there is no phantom city in the blight to consider on said map.

If there is a city/civilization we knew nothing about, all bets are off...maybe. Could BS be hinting about this blight thing through Demo's whereabouts?

I would think based on the glimpses we've seen of Moridin's "hideout" he would be the more likely candidate for something along those lines...

One thing worth noting is that Murandy seemed much more populous than most regions. They might pull a surprisingly large army, even with what the Aes Sedai and Band took. And too with their intercine fighting, they may well have more experienced fighters than most nations--its stated the murandians aren't the best tacticians in New Spring, but Demandred could overcome that.

I've had the opposite problem.. I'm frequently mistaken for a male. I have to keep checking I'm wearing my pink booties.

.....Hmmm.... has anyone checked Demandred's booties?? :biggrin:

I get mistaken for female some times... though maybe thats because all I do is talk about boys. *sigh*

The whole tactical thing I am not sure about. Yes, NS showed that the Murandians were taking casualties at higher rate than others, but it seemed to me that that was because they lacked a clear chain of command which, believe me, can really cause a bit of confusion and inaction.

You may be right, of course, just thought Id throw a different interpretation into the ring for consideration.

One thing worth noting is that Murandy seemed much more populous than most regions. They might pull a surprisingly large army, even with what the Aes Sedai and Band took. And too with their intercine fighting, they may well have more experienced fighters than most nations--its stated the murandians aren't the best tacticians in New Spring, but Demandred could overcome that.

I've had the opposite problem.. I'm frequently mistaken for a male. I have to keep checking I'm wearing my pink booties.

.....Hmmm.... has anyone checked Demandred's booties?? :biggrin:

I get mistaken for female some times... though maybe thats because all I do is talk about boys. *sigh*

The whole tactical thing I am not sure about. Yes, NS showed that the Murandians were taking casualties at higher rate than others, but it seemed to me that that was because they lacked a clear chain of command which, believe me, can really cause a bit of confusion and inaction.

You may be right, of course, just thought Id throw a different interpretation into the ring for consideration.

I like that you quoted the whole comment Luckers posted, just to keep seeing that last line he wrote stamped all over the place lol.

Just to throw this in, but how does the smoking pipe in the prophecies fit in with the pipe that Demandred (Rhoedran) gave Talmanes? I got nothing for that one.

I figure Roedran will use it to track him down and kill him, maybe targeting the Band. But it has to have something to do with Rand, since Min saw the viewing around Rand.

Exactly, that's the part I can't figure out. Rand said in ToM that it's not hard at all for shadowspawn to find him now, because he's a beacon of light and whatnot. Demandred also wouldn't rely on such a distant connection to Rand either, he already knew Talmanes and Mat hadn't seen eachother in some time, and was probably able to find out from intelligence reports that Mat and Rand hadn't been accompanying one another for quite some time. It just seems if that was the purpose of it, there would be much easier ways to find Rand.

Can other weaves be "tied" to metal objects? Maybe it's something along the lines of what stuff from SL does to people, and he's slowly poisoning Talmanes so Tal will betray Mat. Maybe it has to do with his attack on Caemlyn. AAAArgh but neither of those has to do with Rand.

/shrug

I figure Roedran will use it to track him down and kill him, maybe targeting the Band. But it has to have something to do with Rand, since Min saw the viewing around Rand.

Exactly, that's the part I can't figure out. Rand said in ToM that it's not hard at all for shadowspawn to find him now, because he's a beacon of light and whatnot. Demandred also wouldn't rely on such a distant connection to Rand either, he already knew Talmanes and Mat hadn't seen eachother in some time, and was probably able to find out from intelligence reports that Mat and Rand hadn't been accompanying one another for quite some time. It just seems if that was the purpose of it, there would be much easier ways to find Rand.

Can other weaves be "tied" to metal objects? Maybe it's something along the lines of what stuff from SL does to people, and he's slowly poisoning Talmanes so Tal will betray Mat. Maybe it has to do with his attack on Caemlyn. AAAArgh but neither of those has to do with Rand.

/shrug

Or maybe the two two pipes have no relation whatsoever to echother...

very true, which is why I never know where I stand on that issue. Only thing is, there isn't really any other pipe I can think of that would be significant, nor is there something I can think of that a smoking pipe could be a handy metaphor for. I mean I can, but it would be a stretch. I would just dismiss it, but I really feel the prophesies we're written extremely well; I think every single line of prophesies we see is important in some way.

I can't think of a better candidate for Demandred than Roedran, but it still doesn't feel quite right. The biggest red flag is why would Roedran operate in the way we have seen in the books if he is Demandred? Demandred would have no need of any kind of catalyst like the band to unite the country. Subtle compulsion used on the various factions would unite the country with no cost, less effort and be much quicker. Which is the same pattern the other Forsaken have used.

I can't help but think it's Taim even though RJ said it isn't. Damandred is described as thinking he is better than LTT and the other Forsaken and is the equal of LTT as a military commander. This fits Taim, but it's just too obvious. This is the sort of person who will not sit in the background waiting, he not only feels he is numero uno, he has a great need to show it. Perhaps the books haven't revealed him at all. Saying he didn't appear as any other character before KoD doesn't say that he has appeared after either. Possible he hasn't even shown up yet as "someone else?"

I can't think of a better candidate for Demandred than Roedran, but it still doesn't feel quite right. The biggest red flag is why would Roedran operate in the way we have seen in the books if he is Demandred? Demandred would have no need of any kind of catalyst like the band to unite the country. Subtle compulsion used on the various factions would unite the country with no cost, less effort and be much quicker. Which is the same pattern the other Forsaken have used.

Rhoedran's stated use of the Band might have been a ruse, he could have just been trying to set the Band up for something bad, Talmanes said he thought he was being set up

I can't help but think it's Taim even though RJ said it isn't. Damandred is described as thinking he is better than LTT and the other Forsaken and is the equal of LTT as a military commander. This fits Taim, but it's just too obvious. This is the sort of person who will not sit in the background waiting, he not only feels he is numero uno, he has a great need to show it. Perhaps the books haven't revealed him at all. Saying he didn't appear as any other character before KoD doesn't say that he has appeared after either. Possible he hasn't even shown up yet as "someone else?"

I know this quote by heart now:

Q: Have we seen Demandred's alter ego seen on screen by KoD?

A: No.

So he can't be Taim, except if Brandon was lying. And I don't think he does. Then he would just have said RAFO.

So he can't be Taim, except if Brandon was lying. And I don't think he does. Then he would just have said RAFO.

Well, RJ shot the idea down on several occasions, so he would have been lying to us for years. Something that seems like a really stupid thing to do for an author who wants any kind of relation with his readers.

Rhoedran's stated use of the Band might have been a ruse, he could have just been trying to set the Band up for something bad, Talmanes said he thought he was being set up

Yes but the text shows the other lengths that Roedran goes through. Which don't add up when you could do it simpler and faster another way. As far as the Band goes that seems like an awfully time consuming and expensive way to set them up. Why not just send a couple spies with traces? Or find a way to plant the pipe on Talmanes. Like ask for a meeting to discuss hiring the Band, compulse Talmanes, plant pipe, and then tell them you've decided you don't need the Band. Same result. A whole lot less costly.

Now if Roedran was compulsed and a pawn of Demandred, then the actions make a lot more sense. Though it still doesn't sell it for me. I mean if you're Demandred and you have to micromanage someone who is not supposed be overly clever, why not just take care of it quickly and easily yourself?

I also don't think it's Galgan, as he has blue eyes. Darkfriends have dark to black eyes due to the saa.

from WoTWikia Lunal Galgan is the Captain-General in charge of the Return.

Appearance Edit

He is tall with his white hair in a crest, its tail plaited to his shoulders. He has a creased face and blue eyes. His fingernails are lacquered red.

How would he have blue eyes?

I was reading Fires of Heaven and this quote jumped out at me...

It is when Gareth is talking with Suian about why she belittled him in front of the court in Andor

It was his opinion that Murandy would remain a patchwork of all but independent lords and ladies until the Wheel turned and a new Age came. Murandians called themselves Lugarders or Mindeans or whatever before they named a nation. If they even bothered to name one. A lord who could unite them, and who had Suian's leash around his throat, could bring a considerable number of men

It implied that Gareth Bryne thinks that Murandy could wield a large army if united.

I was reading Fires of Heaven and this quote jumped out at me...

It is when Gareth is talking with Suian about why she belittled him in front of the court in Andor

It was his opinion that Murandy would remain a patchwork of all but independent lords and ladies until the Wheel turned and a new Age came. Murandians called themselves Lugarders or Mindeans or whatever before they named a nation. If they even bothered to name one. A lord who could unite them, and who had Suian's leash around his throat, could bring a considerable number of men

It implied that Gareth Bryne thinks that Murandy could wield a large army if united.

But he first appears in tEotW so this excludes him. He is another early on character.

Yes but the text shows the other lengths that Roedran goes through. Which don't add up when you could do it simpler and faster another way. As far as the Band goes that seems like an awfully time consuming and expensive way to set them up. Why not just send a couple spies with traces? Or find a way to plant the pipe on Talmanes. Like ask for a meeting to discuss hiring the Band, compulse Talmanes, plant pipe, and then tell them you've decided you don't need the Band. Same result. A whole lot less costly.

Now if Roedran was compulsed and a pawn of Demandred, then the actions make a lot more sense. Though it still doesn't sell it for me. I mean if you're Demandred and you have to micromanage someone who is not supposed be overly clever, why not just take care of it quickly and easily yourself?

We don't know that Talmanes hasn't been compelled, and Demoedran could have done things that way to give Mat more time to link back up with the band or something like that. Point is there could be any number of reasons why Dem did things the way he did uniting Murandy, in fact he might have done it the way he did so he could stay more under the radar.

Or it could just be that RJ was trying to come up with someone for Demandred to be that way he could kill off the Dem=Taim theories, and this was the best way he could contrive that Demoedran would involve himself in a short time frame.

I also don't think it's Galgan, as he has blue eyes. Darkfriends have dark to black eyes due to the saa.

from WoTWikia Lunal Galgan is the Captain-General in charge of the Return.

Appearance Edit

He is tall with his white hair in a crest, its tail plaited to his shoulders. He has a creased face and blue eyes. His fingernails are lacquered red.

How would he have blue eyes?

One - The saa doesn't give people dark eyes. You just see black things in someone's eye, appearing and disappearing.

Two - Demandred doesn't channel the True Power.

But I must agree he isn't Lunal Galgan, because Lunal Galgan appeared in KoD and ToM, and Demandred's alter ego did not.

1. Demandred might not have any Talent for Compulsion. Some are better at it than others.

2. Demandred might well (by extension, or otherwise) look down on Compulsion as a means of getting things done. The Forsaken all have different ways of doing things, and we've never seen him use it or think about using it.

3. It's not as easy as Compelling everyone anyway. Compelling everyone takes too much time, has too many loopholes, etc. Much easier to take the opportunity that the Band presented him (on several different levels).

Archived