DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Written Word vs Spoken Word

mb

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the two is more powerful?

For the purposes of a narrative, the written word. For the purposes of general communication, the spoken word.

The written form is less capable of conveying levels of subtlety as well as things like body language unless written in a far more comprehensive style than the spoken form, this means that there is a loss of information or else the writer must convey this information using more verbose descriptions. That said, I personally prefer writing (typing) to speaking as it requires less interaction and provides a sense of anonymity as well as safety (though the latter two are mainly perceived rather than true benefits)

the written word can last forever, in its original form. the spoken word is ephemeral, and prone to corruption. like playing telephone, or like the things AS say that are never what you thought they said.

+1 QFT

Those are the exact same reasons which I had in mind when I voted "written word" in the poll.

while the written word can last over the ages, and what Cindy says is true for the most part; in todays age of camera's and video recorders every where, i think the spoken word is gaining a greater edge.

in the 18th century, i would have said the written word just becuase it was easier to mass produce in a wide area. but now we have TV and Radio, which can do the same and faster.

if you truely want to see how effective or much more powerful the spoken word is to the written word, take a speech from Hitler. read the transcript of said speech, then watch Hitler perform the speech. in this case, you see how much more powerful the words become because of how good of an actor Hitler was concerning his speeches. he used guestures, emotion and energy to convey his message as much as he used words. it's one of the reasons he's considered to be a great speaker (while a not a good man at all)

you can also use this comparision in plays. Hamlet for instance. were you more moved by reading the silioquy of "to be or not to be" or by watching it on the movie.

I'm clearly undecided. It's difficult.

I really love reading - and writing, creating something lasting. The creation of something written can be an artistic act - like composing a song or painting a picture. Every word has its place, is soft, balanced, like in a gentle melody, or is brutal, hard, crashing down like an avalanche - the written word can build worlds and universes, and it tears them down just as easily. It moves something in you, it changes you - it may even recreate you. It sings to you, it whispers to you, it screams at you - it hurts your soul and mind, it rips you open, but it also soothes you, takes your pain away, it may even heal you.... and all of this in utter silence. In my opinion this is amazing. It's intimate. It's for you alone, and no other takes part in this.

The spoken word has its own beauty. The magic of a voice... well, it can increase the experience of the written word. But you really need the right voice for the right words - if one or the other doesn't fit, the magic fades and the words are just letters - empty and powerless.

Archived