DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

another one about geography

DigitalSoul

Ive read that there is a few different theories about the geography of Randland.

Most seem to think that the westlands is Europe, Shara Asia and Seanchen America.

Has RJ or BS ever been asked about this? If RJ built the geography of Randland based

on our geography today? And has anyone asked them what happened to Africa during the breaking?=)

I know of no confirmation by RJ or BS, unfortunately. My personal take on the geography?

Randland1.jpg

That's how I see the 'main' continent. Check out this topic I made awhile ago.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/41579-the-wot-world-compared-to-the-world-of-the-first-age-our-world/page__p__1206540__fromsearch__1#entry1206540

I VASTLY underestimated the size of Seanchan, and I have long planned (and procrastinated on) redoing this topic. But given the maps we've been provided of Shara I've noticed that two most distinctive features are the mountains above The Termool are very close to the Himalayas and southeast Shara is pretty much southeast Asia all as one landmass, the equator even crosses at the same points. In addition to that, the distances and scale between the Westlands and the Aiel Wastes + Shara work out to how they compare to the actual distances on a globe with where I lined things up, with the southern coast of the Westlands stretching about 3,500 miles as RJ said was about right.

In my opinion, Africa was largely destroyed but, unlike the maps, thousands of islands remain, and the Sea Folk predominantly have built their culture there. Seriously, to have a culture like the Sea Folk to develop you'd need a vast network of islands that aren't too far apart, and a shattered Africa would make sense for that. I'm even thinking that perhaps, rather than the Land of Madmen being Australia as I thought (though it still may be), it may be an expanded part of the very southernmost regions of Africa and Madagascar and such.

I'm also speculating that Shayol Ghul is actually on the larger island to the east of the one I circled at the point where the USSR tested the largest nuke ever tested, the Tsar Bomb (hence why the Pattern was thinner there), but to be honest that's going into an out-there personal theory of mine.

And contrary to what some people seem to think, entire landmasses didn't literally move from one part of the globe to the other.

I know of no confirmation by RJ or BS, unfortunately. My personal take on the geography?

Randland1.jpg

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/41579-the-wot-world-compared-to-the-world-of-the-first-age-our-world/page__p__1206540__fromsearch__1#entry1206540

I VASTLY underestimated the size of Seanchan, and I have long planned (and procrastinated on) redoing this topic. But given the maps we've been provided of Shara I've noticed that two most distinctive features are the mountains above The Termool are very close to the Himalayas and southeast Shara is pretty much southeast Asia all as one landmass, the equator even crosses at the same points. In addition to that, the distances and scale between the Westlands and the Aiel Wastes + Shara work out to how they compare to the actual distances on a globe with where I lined things up, with the southern coast of the Westlands stretching about 3,500 miles as RJ said was about right.

In my opinion, Africa was largely destroyed but, unlike the maps, thousands of islands remain, and the Sea Folk predominantly have built their culture there. Seriously, to have a culture like the Sea Folk to develop you'd need a vast network of islands that aren't too far apart, and a shattered Africa would make sense for that. I'm even thinking that perhaps, rather than the Land of Madmen being Australia as I thought (though it still may be), it may be an expanded part of the very southernmost regions of Africa and Madagascar and such.

I'm also speculating that Shayol Ghul is actually on the larger island to the east of the one I circled at the point where the USSR tested the largest nuke ever tested, the Tsar Bomb (hence why the Pattern was thinner there), but to be honest that's going into an out-there personal theory of mine.

And contrary to what some people seem to think, entire landmasses didn't literally move from one part of the globe to the other.

I saw your map in another thread and i really like it. Somewhere in the books its mentioned about the sandhills your somethings that was supposed to have been the shore of a great sea. Would that have been the medeteranian? Does RJ give any more hints in the books?

I think it was also in that thread that someone wrote that Asmodean should have lived by the Aral sea if your map is correct.

That is not at all sure however. Asmodean only said that his hometown might as well have been that porttown up in the spine of the world.

Randland1.jpg

This means that if I should live in the WoT age I would live in the Blight. I would probably be a trolloc. :laugh:

Randland1.jpg

This means that if I should live in the WoT age I would live in the Blight. I would probably be a trolloc. :laugh:

LOL. If I'm correct in my interpritation of the BWB's discrition of the geography I'd either be a polar bear or some sort of penguin seeing as New Zealand would be part of the supposed continent under the southern ice cap, if it exisited at all... Please let it be a penguin, I look horrid in white :madmyrddraal: .

A.

One thing i didnt realize until i saw the big map of all of randland in the white book is how big the blight is. When i saw it, it made much more sense how the blight can support so many trollocs. I would like to know more about the blight in seanchan.

Archived