DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, time to wrap this up.

In tie 149, the cover of Landslide by the Dixie Chicks beat Fleetwood Mac's original by 3 votes to 2. Boo! Hiss!

And in tie 150, Kelly Llorena's cover version of Tell It To My Heart beat Taylor Dayne's original by 3 votes to 2.

Time for the next two songs.

Song 151: (Everything I Do) I Do It for You

Power ballad number 1: (Everything I Do) I Do It for You. We have already had Bryan Adam's song feature before at song number 42. This time, the cover version comes from Brandy.

ORIGINAL: Bryan Adams

Bryan Adams' power ballad (Everything I Do) I Do It for You was the hit song from the 1991 film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It spent an incredible 16 weeks at the top of the UK charts in that year, and 7 at the top of the US charts, making it Bryan Adams' most successful song. The song was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGoWtY_h4xo

vs.

COVER: Brandy

The song has been a popular one to cover. One version was by American R&B singer Brandy. She covered the song in 1998. It came from her second studio album Never Say Never. The single was only released in New Zealand, where it reached number 28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xnw3K4pcUM

Voting ends Monday 28th March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 152: (I Just) Died in Your Arms

Power ballad number 2. Time for a classic from the 1980s. (I Just) Died in Your Arms was originally performed by Cutting Crew, with an interesting cover version by the Canadian Joée.

ORIGINAL: Cutting Crew

The power ballad was written by Nick Van Eede, which he introduced to his band Cutting Crew. Released in 1986, it was the group's biggest hit. It topped the charts in the US, Canada and Finland, as well as being a top 5 hit elsewhere in the world, like the UK. An interesting anecdote about the line "I just died in your arms tonight" is that it came to Van Eede while he was having sex with his girlfriend!

vs.

COVER: Joée

The song has been a popular one to cover, sample and appear in popular culture. The version that I have gone for is the 1995 cover by Canadian pop artist Joée. His cover was quite successful as he managed to return the song back to the top of the Canadian singles charts. He has added quite a few musical twists to make it a bit more lively than the original.

Voting ends Monday 28th March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Time for the results.

In song 151, which featured (Everything I Do) I Do It for You, was won by Bryan Adams and his original, which beat Brandy's cover by a convincing 8 votes to 0.

And song 152, (I Just) Died in Your Arms saw the original by Cutting Crew beat Joée's cover by 5 votes to 2.

The next bunch of songs will be going up shortly.

Song 153: Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)

Time for a bit of punk from the Buzzcocks and their song Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've). Our cover is soul based, and is performed by Fine Young Cannibals.

ORIGINAL: Buzzcocks

Released in September 1978, Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've) reached number 12 on the UK chart. Inspiration for the song came from when the band was watching the musical Guys & Dolls, where the dialogue "Have you ever fallen in love with someone you shouldn't have" featured. The song was well received by critics.

vs.

COVER: Fine Young Cannibals

Many groups and artists have covered the song. I have picked the version by the UK retro-soul band Fine Young Cannibals. Their cover version is quite downbeat, and reached number 9 in the charts in 1986. It wecorded for the soundtrack of the 1986 film Something Wild, and was later included on the band's album The Raw and the Cooked.

Voting ends Monday 4th April 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 154: Under Pressure

Time for a great collaboration! Song 154 features Queen and David Bowie performing Under Pressure. The cover comes from the English soul singer Joss Stone.

ORIGINAL: Queen and David Bowie

Under Pressure marked Bowie's first released collaboration with another recording artist as a performer. It was released in October 1981. It reached number 1 in the UK, as well as several other countries. In the US, it reached number 29. It was voted number 31 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the '80s. The song was Queen's last number 1 until Innuendo ten years later.

vs.

COVER: Joss Stone

Soul singer Joss Stone released her cover version for the Queen Tribute album Killer Queen: A Tribute to Queen. The album was released in August 2005. Joss Stone has had quite a successful career, with two 2 BRIT Awards and a Grammy Award. She came 5th in the BBC Sound of 2004 contest for breakthrough artists. Her second album, Mind Body & Soul, topped the UK Albums Chart for one week and spawned the top ten hit You Had Me.

Song 155: Waiting in Vain

Time for a bit of Reggae from the legend Bob Marley. The song I have chosen in Waiting in Vain, and the cover comes from Annie Lennox.

ORIGINAL: Bob Marley

Taken from his 1977 album Exodus, Waiting in Vain reached number 27 in the UK chart. The Jamaican was the rhythm guitarist and lead singer for the ska, rocksteady and reggae band Bob Marley & The Wailers. The compilation albim Legend is the best selling reggae album, selling 25 million copies since 1984, three years after Marley's death.

vs.

COVER: Annie Lennox

Lennox covered Waiting for You for her 1995 album Medusa. It was released as the third single from the album and reached number 31 in the UK charts. Her version was also used for the 2001 film Serendipity and the 2002 film Changing Lanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPFBMGFuFlE

Song 156: Policy of Truth

Time for Depeche Mode's twenty-fifth UK single, which is Policy of Truth. Competition in the way of a cover comes from American alternative rock band Dishwalia.

ORIGINAL: Depeche Mode

Released on May 7, 1990, Policy of Truth was the third single for the album Violator. It is the only Depeche Mode single to chart higher on the Billboard Hot 100 (#15) than on the UK Singles Chart (#16). Despite its success, Policy of Truth was not included on the band's Best of... hits collection of 2006.

vs.

COVER: Dishwalia

The song has proved popular to sample. Some, like Dishwalia, have covered the track. The cover version features on the 1998 Depeche Mode tribute album For the Masses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXsZasVDd0

Archived