DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for the results!

Song 143 was Wuthering Heights, where Kate Bush won by 5 votes to 2 for the original, beating China Drum's cover.

Physical was song 144, where Goldfrapp's cover beat Olivia Newton-John's original by 4 votes to 3.

We did have a tie in song 145, but Talya's vote meant that Real Life's original of Send Me An Angel beat Zeromancer's cover by 3 votes to 2.

And our final song, number 146, was Listen to Your Heart, where Roxette's original beat D.H.T. featuring Edmée's cover by 5 votes to 2.

Time for the next two songs!

Song 147: Message in a Bottle

We're heading back to 1979 and Message in a Bottle, originally performed by The Police. The cover and challenge comes from American John Mayer.

ORIGINAL: The Police

This was The Police's first number 1 hit in the UK. The song didn't do very well in the US, where it only peaked at number 74. The song is all about a story of a castaway on an island, who sends out a message in a bottle to seek love. One year one, the castaway has not received any kind of response, and despairs, thinking he is destined to be alone. The next day, he sees "a hundred billion bottles" on the shore, finding out that there are more people like him out there.

vs.

COVER: John Mayer

Quite a few artists have covered the song, especially in the world of punk. However, I have picked American rock-pop artist John Mayer for my cover version. It is a song he regularly covers on his live shows. A recorded performance can be found on Any Given Thursday, a live album recorded in Birmingham, Alabama. Mayer originally started out covering acoustic rock songs, but has started moving towards blues. He is also a Grammy winning artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmYys-ZjNrg

Voting ends Monday 21st March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 148: The Neverending Story

Time for the title song from the 1984 film of the same name, The Neverending Story. There is both an English and French version. I have picked the English version, which was performed by Limahl and Beth Anderson, and the cover version comes from The Birthday Massacre.

ORIGINAL: Limahl and Beth Anderson

This is the title song for the 1984 German epic fantasy film based on the novel of the same name written by Michael Ende. Limahl is an English pop singer, better known as the lead singer of the 1980s pop group Kajagoogoo, whereas Beth Anderson is an American singer and voice actress. The song was a number one hit across Europe (Sweden and Norway), and peaked at number 4 in the UK.

vs.

COVER: The Birthday Massacre

Yet another song that has proved popular to cover. The covering band is Canadian synthrock band The Birthday Massacre. The group was formed in 1999 under the name Imagica. I believe the song was one of their first demos back in either 1999 or 2000. However, the band do not list the song.

Voting ends Monday 21st March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

So, time now for the results.

In tie 147, Message in a Bottle was the song, with the original by The Police beating John Mayer's cover by 6 votes to 2.

And in tie 148, The Neverending Story was won by the original, performed by Limahl and Beth Anderson, which easily defeated The Birthday Massacre's cover by 8 votes to 0.

Time for the next two songs!

Song 149: Landslide

Next up is the soft rock song Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. The cover comes from the country group The Dixie Chicks.

ORIGINAL: Fleetwood Mac

Written by Stevie Nicks, Landslide first appeared on Fleetwood Mac's 1975 album Fleetwood Mac. Nicks wrote the song while contemplating going back to school or continuing on with guitarist Lindsey Buckingham after both being dropped by Polydor and not getting on with each other. Formed in 1967, the British-American rock band are still performing.

vs.

COVER: Dixie Chicks

The Dixie Chicks, the award winning alternative country group, covered Landslide on their 2002 Home album. It reached number 7 on the US Billboard and number 2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. In the UK, it reached number 55. According to lead singer Natalie Maines, she was partly attracted to the song because she was then the same age that Nicks was when she initially performed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SklvQAJWz7E

Voting ends Thursday 24th March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 150: Tell It To My Heart

Time for a bit of dance. The dance-pop original of Tell It To My Heart was performed by Taylor Dayne, with competition from Kelly Llorenna as the cover.

ORIGINAL: Taylor Dayne

Tell It To My Heart was Taylor Dayne's first single from her début album. The single was Dayne's first major exposure to the world of music, which led her to be known for her up-tempo, dance-oriented music. During late 1987 and early 1988, it peaked at number 7 in the US Billboard over a 27 week period. In the UK, it peaked at number 3, and was the 23rd best-selling single of 1988 in the UK. The music video shows some terribly bad hair for Taylor Dayne!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccmE_a2yFK4

vs.

COVER: Kelly Llorenna

The English female dance music and Euro-trance singer Kelly Llorenna recorded her cover version of Tell It To My Heart in October 2002, where the single reached number 9 in the UK charts. She has yo-yoed between working for N-Trance and having a solo career since she started her music career in 1992. She released her version as a solo artist.

Voting ends Thursday 24th March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Archived