DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, time to wrap up those 4 "Originals vs. Covers".

Song 131, Call Me was won by Blondie's original by 4 votes to 2.

Song 132 was a comfortable 7-0 victory for The Kinks and their original You Really Got Me.

We saw a tie in Song 133, where The La's and Sixpence None The Richer tied 3-a-piece with the song There She Goes.

And finally, Eternal Flame was won by The Bangles' original by 5 votes to 2 for song 134.

Song 135: You Keep Me Hangin' On

Time for some giants from Motown - The Supremes. We have their song You Keep Me Hangin' On, with the cover from British artist Kim Wilde.

ORIGINAL: The Supremes

You Keep Me Hangin' On was The Supremes eight number 1 on the US Billboard, topping the chart in November 1966 for 2 weeks. Rooted in proto-funk and rhythm and blues, the single uses the call and response elements similar to gospel. Lead vocals are by Diana Ross. The morse-code sounding guitar part came from radio signal heard by Lamont Dozier, the producer.

vs.

COVER: Kim Wilde

Covered in 1986, You Keep Me Hangin' On became a huge worldwide success for Kim Wilde. The song topped the US Billboard, and reached number 2 in the UK. Wilde reworked the song, turning it from a Motown Sound into a 1980s power pop song. This was Wilde's biggest hit in her career.

Voting ends Monday 28th February 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 136: Missing You

This time, our original comes from the 1980s. It is John Waite's hit single Missing You. Competition in the way of a cover comes from Country and Western duo Brooks and Dunn.

ORIGINAL: John Waite

Taken from the album No Brakes, Missing You was his biggest success as a solo artist. He is also known as being the lead singer of the groups The Babys and Bad English. Released in 1984, Missing You peaked at number 1 on the US Billboard and number 9 in the UK. The song has appeared on the 1997 film Selena, the popular 1980s inspired video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and the second episode of the TV series Miami Vice.

vs.

COVER: Brooks & Dunn

Missing You has proved a popular song to cover. Tine Turner had an attempt in 1996. I have picked the version by Brooks & Dunn, the country music duo. They released their version in 1999 on their Tight Rope album. The song peaked at number 15 on the US Billboard Country Chart, as well as number 75 on the actual US Billboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRWn39HASc

Voting ends Monday 28th February 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Time to wrap the latest two songs up.

Song 135 saw a win for The Supremes' original version of You Keep Me Hangin' On by 4 votes to 2, which defeated Kim Wilde's cover.

It was much easier for John Waite and Missing You as he eased to a 6-0 win over Brooks & Dunn.

Song 137: Love Is The Drug

Time to move away from the 1980s theme that has dominated "Original vs. Cover" for the last month. Our first stop after the 1980s is 1975 with Roxy Music and Love Is The Drug. The cover comes courtesy of the Aussie rock group Divinyls.

ORIGINAL: Roxy Music

Love Is The Drug is the 1975 UK hit for Roxy Music, as well being successful in the US. This gave the group its first substantial exposure in the US, where it reached number 30 on the US Billboard. In the UK, it reached number 2. The song originally started out as an instrumental, but lyrics came to Bryan Ferry while he was kicking leaves in Hyde Park, London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci9jA_4O3GI

vs.

COVER: Divinyls

Both Kylie Minogue and Grace Jones have covered the song. Instead I have picked the Australian rock group Divinyls version of Love Is The Drug, which was recorded in 1993. They recorded a version for the Super Mario Bros. film soundtrack. They also released versions on their compilation albums The Collection in 1994 and Make You Happy in 1997.

Voting ends Thursday 3rd March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 138: Baby Got Back

Time for a bit of cringing. The original of Baby Got Back was performed by hip hop artist Sir Mix A Lot. I am surprised it has been covered, but it has. Vanilla Ice and hardcore band Throwdown have done so, but I have opted for Richard Cheese's cover.

ORIGINAL: Sir Mix A Lot

Somehow Baby Got Back reached number 1 on the US Billboard! It spent an incredible 5 weeks at the top of the US charts in 1992. The song won a 1993 Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance. The song starts with a memorable discussion between two thin, white girls. The song caused a lot of controversy when released, with its outspoken and blatantly sexual lyrics about women, as well as specific and objectionable references to the female anatomy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY84MRnxVzo

vs.

COVER: Richard Cheese

The song has proved popular to parody. Mark Jonathan Davis, whose stage name is Richard Cheese, released his version of the song in 2002 on his Tuxicity album. Cheese fronts the group Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine, a group that cover popular songs in a lounge/swing style reminiscent of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Tony Bennett. And I have to say, it works really well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAGHkoVjPqo

Voting ends Thursday 3rd March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Results time!

Song 137, which was Love Is The Drug, saw an easy win for the original by Roxy Music, winning by 6 votes to 0.

And song 138, which didn't seem to go down well at all with some people, was also won by the original, where Sir Mix A Lot picked up a 3-2 victory.

The next two songs are on the way.

ORG points for Feb 2011 done to here.

~Jea

Song 139: Heaven Is A Place On Earth

Time for Heaven Is A Place On Earth. The original is by Belinda Carlisle. And I believe the cover is by the oddest musical genre ever - rock-inspired Gregorian chant. Yeap, you read that correctly! Enjoy!

ORIGINAL: Belinda Carlisle

Belinda Carlisle, the lead singer of The Go-Go's, released Heaven Is A Place On Earth in September 1987. The song interpolates the aria Schlafe, mein Liebster, genieße der Ruh' from Johann Sebastian Bach's Christmas Oratorio. It topped the US Billboard in December 1987, and was her only chart topper in the US. A month later, it topped the UK charts, as well as a host of other countries. The song was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

vs.

COVER: Gregorian

So, hands up, if you ever knew the musical genre of rock-inspired Gregorian chant existed? Gregorian is a German band who perform Gregorian chant-inspired versions of modern pop and rock songs. The band features both vocal harmony and instrumental accompaniment. Started in 1991, they have gone on to produce seven albums in their Masters of Chant series, as well as many other albums. Sarah Brightman (under the pseudonym Hepsibah) and her Amelia Brightman often provide vocals for the group. Extremely enjoyable!

Voting ends Monday 7th March 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Archived