DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

I agree with what Krak says about covering Classical Music - it is difficult to make it better. But I thought the ELO cover was good, but it doesn't beat the original.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A close and narrow victory 3-2 for the Original.

While I watch coverage of the UK election, I will get the next "Original vs. Cover" up.

ORG points for April done to here.

~Jea

Song 80: William Tell Overture

Next up is a well known piece from 1950s television - the William Tell Overture. The programme was The Lone Ranger, which originally came from Gioachino Rossini's opera, William Tell. And the cover comes from Mike Oldfield, a well-known English multi-instrumentalist musician.

ORIGINAL: Gioachino Rossini

Rossini's opera William Tell was first performed in 1829. The piece is in four parts, with each being slightly different. It starts off slow, before moving into the whole orchestra, then a cor anglais to signify daybreak, before the famous "cavalry charge" of trumpets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkymTHSbWe0

vs.

COVER: Mike Oldfield

Mike Oldfield is an English multi-instrumentalist musician. His style blends progressive rock, folk, ethnic or world music, classical music, electronic music, New Age and more recently dance. So a broad range of genres! He released his cover of the William Tell Overture in 1977.

Voting ends Monday 10th May 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Song 81: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565

Next up is probably one of the most famous pieces of Organ music out there - Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565. The original was composed by Johann Sebastian Bach, and the cover is by English classical/rock fusion band, Sky.

ORIGINAL: Johann Sebastian Bach

Bach composed the original sometime between 1703 and 1707, and has become one of the most famous pieces of organ music out there. BWV 565 exhibits a typical simplified north German structure with a free opening (Toccata), a fugal section (Fugue), and a short free closing section. It is a very recognisable piece of music. There are those who question whether Bach did actually compose this piece.

vs.

COVER: Sky

I shouldn't use the word "cover" during this month. What I should be using is transcription! In the 1980s, Sky, and English classical/rock fusion band transcribed it, and created a top 10 hit as a result - it reached number 5 in the UK! It was simply named Toccata. The work was arranged for five-piece electric-acoustic rock band.

Voting ends Thursday 13th May 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Song 82: Jupiter

This is an interesting cover this time around as I head East to Japan. Out there, the cover proved very popular. And for me, it is one of my favourite pieces of Classical Music. I am talking about Gustav Holst's Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity, from The Planet Suite. And it seems like a battle of Japan, since my original recording features a Japanese orchestra!

ORIGINAL: Gustav Holst

The Bringer of Jollity. And the music is jolly and happy. Composed between 1914 and 1916, it first premièred in 1918. Both brass and strings feature heavily in Jupiter, the centrepiece of Holst's The Planet Suite. It is a beautiful piece of music!

vs.

COVER: Ayaka Hirahara

It seems giving words to Jupiter is common practice, when you consider the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country. Japan's Ayaka Hirahara has added vocals to the music and released it as a single in December 2003. It is a nice mix. The electronic music doesn't quite have the power that a full orchestra commands. However, that didn't stop it reaching number 2 in the Japanese charts, where it stayed for an incredible 3 years!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92dSNdiAaL8

Voting ends Monday 17th May 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Archived