DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 70: Now We Are Free

With the Band's music theme for April being Soundtracks, I am going to see if I can get a few soundtracks pieces into "Originals vs. Covers". And continuing the week of Now We Are Free from the film Gladiator, we have the original and a remix version that I like.

ORIGINAL: Original by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard

A truly fitting finale for one of the great films of the last decade. There is a tinge of sadness in the music, but it also offers plenty of hope. A masterpiece, despite the "copying" issues that surrounded the music from the film.

vs.

COVER: Juba Mix

While it is pretty much the same as the original, it alters in a few places to give it the ability to be played in clubs. In my eyes, the remix version intensifies the happiness that comes out of the sadness. 

Voting ends Friday 9th April 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Song 71: Dambusters March

Next up is some music from a classic British war film from the 1954.

ORIGINAL: Eric Coates

The Dambusters March is Eric Coates's theme for the 1954 film The Dam Busters. The composer's son Austin recounted in a radio interview for the BBC that the march was not actually written for the film and had in fact been completed a few days before he was contacted by the producers. It also has a distinct feel of a march written in the style of Edward Elgar.

vs.

COVER: Jethro Tull

The progressive rock band Jethro Tull took the Dambusters March and used it as conclude their concerts in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It has a more rock music feel than orchestra. It can also be heard on the live 1978 album Bursting Out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbv0Pf4F3g

Voting ends Friday 9th April 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Time to wrap up both the votes.

Song 70 saw Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard secure an easy 4-0 win over the remix cover.

And song 71 saw Eric Coates get another win for original with a 4-1 win.

The next tie is on the way.

Song 72: James Bond Theme

The next theme song is probably one of the most iconic and recognisable bits of music to come from the world of film. All I need to say is "The name's Bond, James Bond".

ORIGINAL: Monty Norman Orchestra

The original. The piece has been used as an accompanying fanfare to the gun barrel sequence in every James Bond film. The guitar riff heard in the original recording of the theme was played by Vic Flick.

vs.

COVER: Moby

Moby is an American DJ, singer-songwriter, and musician. The cover was released in 1997 on I Like to Score, a collection of his music that had been used in movies.

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQiJ-NNK7MI or

Voting ends Monday 12th April 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Archived