DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bound to the Horn

Miseo

I'm sure this has been asked in the past, but I couldn't find a thread for it. So I just figured I'd start one. Who from the third age is going to be bound to the Horn? I read somewhere that RJ confirmed that Rand was going to be, but I don't really see that happening. LTT wasn't tied to the horn, so why would Rand? I guess if I had to choose only one I would have to go with Mat since he blew the horn back in TGH. Perrin would of course be an easy guess with him being ta'veren. So I guess my questions will all three of them be bound? Or none of them? Or other then our three favorite village boys, will anyone else you isn't ta'veren?

Rand is lews therin so lews therin being bound to the horn is the same as rand being bound, just like birgitte being bound to the horn with her 100 different aliases that she has had over the ages. Mat and Perrin seem likely additions and i think that noal (jain farstrider) will be a none taveran and maybe even hurin. (possible foreshadowing from artur hawkwing)

Nynaeve and Egwene, I'd guess. Maybe Lan? And Faile, obviously.

Its hard to argue against Nynaeye, Egwene, or Lan, but why would you say obviously Faile? She would be one of the least people i'd expect.

I like the idea of Verin, but i don't know if id see that actually happening though.

There is no reason to believe that anybody but Rand is bound to the wheel. There is absolutely no evidence to argue for any of the others.

Mat and Perrin for sure aren't bound to the Wheel since none of the Heroes of the Horn recognized them at Falme. Also, there are very few Heroes overall (less than 100). Hawkwing mentioned that sometimes the wheel adds new Heroes but given that there has been many thousands turnings of the wheel this must be very rare indeed. Else there would be hordes of Heroes already.

I always thought of it as a "chicken or egg" thing.

How many of the "new to be bound" people being suggested are already bound to the Horn but we just don't know it?

For all we know, most of lead characters are Hero's of the Horn spun out already.

Not saying they all are but separating who's new and who isn't would seem a daunting task imo.

I think that Mat and Perrin are heroes, but that the precepts kept Hawkingwing from acknowledging them because, unlike Rand/LTT, they didn't already know.

If any hero gets added from the books, my money is on Jain Farstrider. He's been everywhere and done everything, and he died an epic hero's death.

I think that Mat and Perrin are heroes, but that the precepts kept Hawkingwing from acknowledging them because, unlike Rand/LTT, they didn't already know.

Rand didn't remember anything at the time and Hawkwing and the others knew that very well. They mention it when they talk to Rand. Besides, there have been no mentioning of any precepts affecting this situation. Precepts are for people entering TAR which is a completely different story.

There is no reason to believe that anybody but Rand is bound to the wheel. There is absolutely no evidence to argue for any of the others.

Mat and Perrin for sure aren't bound to the Wheel since none of the Heroes of the Horn recognized them at Falme. Also, there are very few Heroes overall (less than 100). Hawkwing mentioned that sometimes the wheel adds new Heroes but given that there has been many thousands turnings of the wheel this must be very rare indeed. Else there would be hordes of Heroes already.

I have never agreed with this conclusion personally.

I'm not convinced that the Hero's can even truly recognize other Hero's spun out.

That was a special moment and they knew the Dragon would be there, HAD to be there and with the Banner.

That's the only reason they know him or maybe even allowed to say they did.

I have never agreed with this conclusion personally.

I'm not convinced that the Hero's can even truly recognize other Hero's spun out.

That was a special moment and they knew the Dragon would be there, HAD to be there and with the Banner.

That's the only reason they know him or maybe even allowed to say they did.

They recognized Rand specifically. There were plenty of others around starting with Mat who actually blew the Horn. Yet, they all picked Rand right away and were never in any doubt even though he denied being the Dragon. Hawkwing said

"I know you even if you don't know yourself". This clearly speaks of recognition, not just a guess.

They recognized Rand specifically. There were plenty of others around starting with Mat who actually blew the Horn. Yet, they all picked Rand right away and were never in any doubt even though he denied being the Dragon. Hawkwing said

"I know you even if you don't know yourself". This clearly speaks of recognition, not just a guess.

Even if they are allowed to say something or they do recognize them, tell me, 11 books later who is still the Bannerman and who is still the Horn Sounder?

It's also pretty hard to discount everything the Snakes and Foxes name Mat. He's definitely been spun out before and at important times no less as in Aemon himself as being a very notable possibility.

Even if they are allowed to say something or they do recognize them, tell me, 11 books later who is still the Bannerman and who is still the Horn Sounder?

hah??? I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Would you not say that Perrin is still Rand's (The Dragon's) Bannerman 11 books later?

...and there's far too much going on with "The Gambler", "The Trickster", "Son of Battles" and "Horn Sounder" Master Matrim Cauthon to ignore.

Either way, there's no getting around that blowing the Horn at that particular moment was special and not the norm. Even RJ said as much.

They knew the Dragon was going to be there, HAD to be there.

Would you not say that Perrin is still Rand's (The Dragon's) Bannerman 11 books later?

I don't see what this has to do with anything. They didn't start calling Perrin the bannerman until after he picked up the banner. there is nothing at all strange that they would remember this less than 2 years later. that was a momentous event as you say.

...and there's far too much going on with "The Gambler", "The Trickster", "Son of Battles" and "Horn Sounder" Master Matrim Cauthon to ignore.

you may have something there but that was the Finns not the Heroes.

Either way, there's no getting around that blowing the Horn at that particular moment was special and not the norm. Even RJ said as much.

They knew the Dragon was going to be there, HAD to be there.

as I said, they recognized Rand and did not recognize either Perrin or Mat. There is no getting around that.

as I said, they recognized Rand and did not recognize either Perrin or Mat. There is no getting around that.

Right but Rand/The Dragon is all that they were SUPPOSED to recognize at that very special moment.

Putting too much stock into the non-recognition that may or may not have even been allowed or that may or may not of even been possible at that point.

Again, all we know for sure it that The Dragon would be there and HAD to be there and they, The Hero's, knew this.

In the end you have to ask yourself this...at this epically climatic time in history, are you seriously of the belief that only a single Hero of the Horn (The Dragon) has been spun out to participate in it?

I'm sorry but that seems juuuust a little doubtful to me heh

Right but Rand/The Dragon is all that they were SUPPOSED to recognize at that very special moment.

This is a rather large assumption not supported by evidence. I see no reason to make it.

Putting too much stock into the non-recognition that may or may not have even been allowed or that may or may not of even been possible at that point.

Again, all we know for sure it that The Dragon would be there and HAD to be there and they, The Hero's, knew this.

We don't really know this and neither would the Heroes. They came for the horn and RJ said that they would still come if the shadow controlled the Horn. This wasn't even the Last Battle.

In the end you have to ask yourself this...at this epically climatic time in history, are you seriously of the belief that only a single Hero of the Horn (The Dragon) has been spun out to participate in it?

there is something in that but as i said, with less than 100 Heroes overall this is quite possible. besides, Gaidal has just been spun out too.

I'm sorry but that seems juuuust a little doubtful to me heh

I think this is a valid point. I mean we know that Gaidal is out and that even though she was not spun out, but torn - Brigitte.

And perhaps we could use the theory of there always being a balance between good and evil. So if we consider how many of the Forsaken are now running loose, we'd have to have some type of heroes to balance them out. What better than Heroes of the Horn then?

Because all these heroes have been built up in legends and stories, and now for the first time since before the Age of Legends they are all being summoned back via the horn at the same time. Seems pointless to have a great number of them spun out on top of that.

I agree. He is the Dragon Reborn for crying out loud; he is the most important soul of the wheel. If anyone wants to make a comparison of who they did or didn't recognize, then use Hurin. Rand's soul is too important in his own right; I would wager they would recognize him even if he wasn't a hero of the horn.

Nynaeve and Egwene, I'd guess. Maybe Lan? And Faile, obviously.

Its hard to argue against Nynaeye, Egwene, or Lan, but why would you say obviously Faile? She would be one of the least people i'd expect.

I like the idea of Verin, but i don't know if id see that actually happening though.

Because I am a huge Faile fan and believe the Light shines out her backside. So yeah, sarcasm on my part.:tongue:

Archived