DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin and Lanfear

NetSlider

So, after re-listening ToM here's what I'm thinking.

Perrin might be the one who will actually take out Lanfear in TAR. Here's couple reasons:

1. He didn't kill any women yet (Rand and Mat did their share) and I think after accepting his responsibilities he would not blink to do it. He has a thought that he would take every man that is barely grown to defeat DO. This shows that he more than anyone else understand that sometimes things should be done no matter what.

2. I think that Rand will not be able to kill her (his previous confrontation with her is a forshadowing of it IMO).

So why Perrin, you ask? Well, b/c he thinks that TAR is his domain and so does Lanfear. This will put them in the same space/time (a very high probability at least). I don't think that he will go against her in an open confrontation (like "I will go fight Lanfear now") but instead he will come across her and will kill her (without even flinching once he knows who she is). I just think that all three Two Rivers guys will have to spill some woman's blood before it's all over.

I like the idea. 2 things though...

1. I find it hard to believe that Perrin hasn't killed any women in any of his fights with the Shaido.

2. I think that Rand Sedai would be able to kill Lanfear if it was needed.

Other than that, excellent idea.

If Perrin with his 2 months or so of training in TAR beats Lanfear, who's an expert on this even among the Forsaken, this would be even worse than the usual display of total incompetence by the bad guys in WoT. I hope for something much better as a way to deal with her.

I like the idea. 2 things though...

1. I find it hard to believe that Perrin hasn't killed any women in any of his fights with the Shaido.

2. I think that Rand Sedai would be able to kill Lanfear if it was needed.

Other than that, excellent idea.

I think Rand Sedai needs Lanfear for a bit longer, but needs to kill her after he's sealed the bore since she's the only one who knows how to drill it again.

If Perrin with his 2 months or so of training in TAR beats Lanfear, who's an expert on this even among the Forsaken, this would be even worse than the usual display of total incompetence by the bad guys in WoT. i hope for something much better way to deal with her.

The forsaken say allot of things. They probably believe them. But you may have noticed that they don't bother to learn anything new. Whereas the RandLanders need to learn quickly and are throwing themselves into it. They also have good trainers. I get the feeling that in AOL knowledge wasn't always shared freely.

Forgive me for raining on the parade of this theory, but...

Save for Tel'aran'rhiod, there is little or no connection with Lanfear. Perrin does have his enemies among the Forsaken and the Dark that are no doubt his to confront and defeat, but Lanfear?

The indications and foreshadowing seem to indicate that Lanfear will be a turncoat, after Rand rescues her from her Moridin captivity. To draw a parallel, and please forgive it's looseness; I see her as similar to Achren in the Prydain Chronicles, who betrayed Arawn at the end and died for it, but did ultimately help defeat her old master.

I suspect something similar will happen with Lanfear. Her betrayal will help tip the scales to the light, but she will die for it. Not at the hands of our heroes, but more likely at the hands of the Dark.

If we imagine that Sha'rah is like chess (with some Fisher King type differences) then let us picture two masters playing (Rand and Moridin). If two chess greats play, they often draw, because it is so very difficult to gain an advantage. The value of piece advantages are quantified in terms of pawns:

Pawn - 1 piece advantage

Knight - 3 piece equivalent

Bishop - 3 pieces (although believed to be slightly more valuable than knights)

Rook - 5 pieces

Queen - 9 pieces

If you imagine that, master vs. master, all is equal; then the defection of ranking piece makes a big difference. Lanfear, as a knight or bishop, could help the light win simply by turning from black to white.

• 2 weeks later...

If Perrin with his 2 months or so of training in TAR beats Lanfear, who's an expert on this even among the Forsaken, this would be even worse than the usual display of total incompetence by the bad guys in WoT. I hope for something much better as a way to deal with her.

I have to say that even though Lanfear thinks she "owns" TAR I really doubt that she's all that. I'm not completely sold on this myself yet, but more and more I begin to think that wolves would kick her butt if they were humans or thought like humans. Perrin is a human but was trained by wolves. And the whole running with wolves was even somewhat of a legend in the AoL so AS from that age don't know the whole picture (or at least it seems that they only think they know the whole picture).

Plus, let's say Lanfear was the best in her time, it does not mean she's all that, it's now like she spent the last 3000 years in TAR as she was sealed off. So, let's say she was about 300 years old when she was sealed, that does not mean she has an upper hand on wolves who spend very, very long time in TAR. And if wolves teach their knowledge to a human (aka Perrin) he indeed might be very, very formidable. In TAR power means nothing (after all he stopped balefire) but it's all about understanding and well, for the lack of a better word, stubborness. And we all know that Two River guys are very, very stubborn.

As i said, I'm not completely decided myself on this, but I am sure not ready to give TAR to Lanfear just b/c she and other forsaken think that it's her domain. We've seen again and again how forsaken think that they are the best and the smartest yet it took a wisdom from Two Rivers to heal stilling and madness. Sometimes people from AoL are simply over confidant and too fat and happy.

Guest svgrob

Pretty sure Perrin killed women at Dumai's Wells. He was visualizing vegetation but he knew what he was slicing.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see Perrin killing any Forsaken in TAR. The Power has no effect on Perrin in TAR, including balefire. We already know that balefire in TAR will kill a Forsaken (Rahvin). The wolves have been ruling TAR 'forever'.

With that kind of skill, Perrin will have a distinct advantage over any Power user...who are too used to creating weaves = takes time. Thought on the other hand...

Perrin abilities are greater than Egwene's in TAR. Same Egwene who defeated Messana, same one that escaped Moggy's (best Forsaken in TAR) trap.

Slayer > Perrin > Egwene > any Forsaken in TAR. Not sure where LTT ranks, but he would be near the top and in a purely contest of wills (i.e. Egwene vs. Messana) he would defeat anyone.

I think Perrin and Slayer will meet each other for a final battle in TAR. Perrin has become stronger now and we will see if that is enough.

Archived