DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My favourite parts of ToM

Thor

I didn't enjoy TOM quite as much as TGS, which I loved, but it ended well, my list would include just about everything in Ghenjei, as well as some slowly developing scary things in the Black Tower, those 2 elements towards the end closed TOM with a bang. Aviendha in Rhuidean I had a hard time actually getting through, but once I did it became one of my favorite parts of the story, if that makes any sense. It got me looking forward that much more to AMOL.

But there are also plenty of more minor moments. I loved Rand introducing Min to his father.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aviendha in Rhuidean I had a hard time actually getting through, but once I did it became one of my favorite parts of the story, if that makes any sense. It got me looking forward that much more to AMOL.

But there are also plenty of more minor moments. I loved Rand introducing Min to his father.

Two of my favorite movies are "Dune" and "2001" and first time I watched them, I thought I was drinking a giant cup of boredom, but when they were done I liked them, so I get what you mean I think.

I guess for me it was just I went in to that sequence finding it to be depressing side stories, or just, I don't know, some kind of history lesson for Aviendha's own personal growth, but then it becomes something else, and clearly involves the entire Aiel culture and how they relate to Rand.

I thought Perrin was very good once it got rolling, and he had most of my favorite scenes. Though I must say Rand and Nynaeve were very strong, some of my favorite scenes came from their arcs as well. Plus one or two others.

1) Perrin's arc. Not so much at the beginning, but boy, did it get going. His learning how to master the Wolf Dream with Hopper. The night with Faile on their anniversary. The classic battle with Slayer, his going all Neo with Egwene (there is no spoon, er, weave), and the death of Hopper, which was saddest moment in the books for me, right up there with Ingtar and Mo. The forging of the Hammer. The battle where he rides down to save Galad. Great stuff there.

2) Nynaeve. Showed she's really growing up by swallowing her pride and behaving like an AS should, and still being human. Going back to the tower, healing Naeff, trying to heal Rand. Telling the AS off about their stupid test. Standing up to Egwene about Rand. Bravo, indeed.

3) Rand's arc. Apple's First was cool. The reunion in Tear, the halo, the unmasking of DF's, make up with Cadsuane, and of course, with Tam and introducing Min properly was wonderful. The re-taking of Bandar Eban was wonderful, and the whole Maradon sequence fantastic.

4) I also thought Avi's sequence in Rhuidean was fantastic.

Some of the stuff I wanted to see most kind of fizzled. Maybe my fault for building it up too much. Rand confronting Egwene. Moiraine's rescue. Verin's letter to Mat. Mat vs. the Gholam. Morgase/Galad/Elayne reunion.

Still some nice moments from unexpected sources. Faile really grew up. Galad. Gawyn. Even Dain.

Some of the stuff I wanted to see most kind of fizzled. Maybe my fault for building it up too much. Rand confronting Egwene. Moiraine's rescue. Verin's letter to Mat. Mat vs. the Gholam. Morgase/Galad/Elayne reunion.

I'm hoping for a Rand v. Egwene v2 at the FoM. I find scenes like that, with two main characters facing off, fascinating to read.

Favorite moments...

Rand in Bander Eban, when he goes quantum on the grain. Telling Cadsuane to call him "Rand Sedai" was great, too.

Perrin in Tel'aran'rhiod, when he stops balefire through dream manipulation (as well as Egwene's hilarious reaction).

Mat bringing Perrin a badger. Mat vs. the gholam.

Pevara and Tarna. Sent shivers down my spine.

Loads of others.

love all the points mentioned, but i grow fat on all the minor points...the presence of asha'man as more than wierd killing mashines..."they are NOT Asha'man" (I para-phrase deepe at maradon). the bracer that aradol made with the mottos defend guard protect.

My all time favorite moment was Aviendha's visit to Rhuidean. The thought of the Seanchan taking over is almost as horrifying, to me, as losing the last battle is. Also the way of life the proud Aiel had to succumb to too survive were tragic.

On a side note. I don't get Lan and his Golden Crane bullshit. If he wants to fight the shadow, why not join with the other forces instead of charging 150k trollocs with 15k humans. It's pointless and it's a waste. It's not the same kind of honor as Noel's is. Lan's death will now serve no purpose but his own.

Archived