DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My favourite parts of ToM

Thor

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me weird but my favourite parts were

1) battle in TAR, death of Hopper (btw, perrin seriously saved egwene's ass there)

2) Birgitte telling Mat about her experience in Finnland

Those were both pretty cool parts. I've always loved the Birgitte-Mat interaction, and that scene was no exception. And yes, Perrin definitely saved Egwene's bacon in the Tower.

For me, my favorite scenes were the ones in the Tower of Ghenjei, simply because I was looking forward to that part of ToM the most. I also liked the Black Tower scenes, there is definitely going to be some serious time devoted to that plot in AMOL. I also thought Aviendha's journey to Rhuidean was well done.

-Specifically Perrin stopping the fireball, and Egwenes freak out about it.

-Avienda crying *mostly because it was the first time an Aiel actually cried despite them all claiming they would openly cry if the situation called for it lol*

-Rands darkfriend rooting out

-When Rand introduced Tam to Min

I prob have others, but can't remember atm

My absolute favourite part was when Rand met Tam in Tear. I almost started to cry when Rand hugged Tam and asked for his forgivnenes. And after that he tried to introduce Min in an old fashion way. "She is very special to me." Ahhh.... So cute. Love new Rand.

Second favourite part is Avi´s experiens in Rhuidean. Really scary future for the aiel! Don´t think it will happen but just the thought of evil seanchan chasing aiel all across the dessert...

My third choise is Mat´s way of rescuing Moiraine. I have waited for this to happen ever since Moiraine "died". Mat has never been one of my favourite characters but I like him more and more. He IS a bloody hero!

My last choise is kind of suprising. I have grown sooooo tired of Egwene but her fight with Mesaana was kind of cool. So she ends up on my list to.

Then there is Nyn hugging Rand, Nyn confronting Myrelle, Perrin making an awsam hammer, Perrin and Faile actually talking to eachother, Rand telling Caddy "You can call me Rand Sedai"...

(Did I mention the BT scenes?)

Not many people seem to comment on it, but Noam/Boundless revelation... I was actually bawling like a baby. It also marks the complete end of Perrin's wolf-angst. But I just really loved that bit. It was very sweet, and I didn't see it coming at all.

I really liked Rand restoring Bandar Eban.

Also loved the Gholam death scene, kick that sucker into oblivion.

Those two were up there for me, my two were:

- Perrin/Slayer battle / chase with the dreamspike and how it tied into the trap/battle that Egween and Mesaana had going on.

- a tie for next best for me. The Tam / Rand reunion and Perrin making his hammer.

Rand confronting Egwene in the Tower. the way it was written... even thinking of it sends chills down my spine.

pretty much every Rand scene

when elayne gets in trouble again and shows how good her reflexes are and how she doesnt freeze up

What did you all forget about Ituralde's defense of Maradon? I thought that part was awesome.

Also I really enjoyed Gawyn's fight against the Blood knives simply because it showed even the lamest characters can do cool things every once in a while.

Guest danlroy

Hello, first time poster. Been coming here off and on for a while.

Favorite scenes:

1-Mat in the TOG.

2-Rands rescue of Iturldes army.

3-Rand coming to the WT.

The entire Maradon sequence. Ituralde, Yoili(?) and Rand all had their own moments of awesome.

The Kandori tower scene in the prologue, which was what the Ride of the Malkieri should have been, and wasn't.

Jain dying clean.

Olver's reaction to the attack on Caemlyn, the reaction to which ("Olver's a budding psychopath", etc) has been wrongheaded in the extreme.

Certain witches having their certainties shaken (Rand at the WT, Perrin in TaR leaving Egwene spluttering, Rand Sedai).

Mat's thoughts on honor. A very brief moment, a single sentence in fact, but it encapsulates why the unwarranted cynicism of the very young, who imagine themselves too worldly and sophisticated to believe in concepts like courage and honor, is not only obnoxious but also actually indicative of a LACK of experience and sophistication.

For myself, my favorite part was Nynaeve in and after the test for the Shawl. She ripped into Egwene and all the Aes Sedai pointing out exactly what was wrong with them, exactly how Nynaeve would. Choosing Lan over the shawl and TG over Aes Sedai plots was excellent.

then of course, Mat in ToG.

Black Tower.

Anything with Rand.

Perrin from about half way.

I agree with most all of the points raised..I loved Perrin showing up Egwene by just brushing aside balefire, the fight for Maradon, the making of the hammer and the TOG sequence, but there are two parts I loved that no one has mentioned: Rand in Bandar Eben..How he came in and made everything right..how he apologized to the poor guy he left holding the bag, etc and Perrin winning the allegience of The White Cloaks..That charge down the hill was way cool ( Also the comment by Aguenda about it not being the most sensible decision, but defintely the honorable one).

Mat's thoughts on honor. A very brief moment, a single sentence in fact, but it encapsulates why the unwarranted cycnicism of the very young, who imagine themselves too worldly and sophisticated to believe in concepts like courage and honor, is not only obnoxious but also actually indicative of a LACK of experience and sophistication.

Can you please give a quote ? I don't remember that. Although we know well that Mat is honorable, the way he says it can only be interresting :)

Mat's thoughts on honor. A very brief moment, a single sentence in fact, but it encapsulates why the unwarranted cycnicism of the very young, who imagine themselves too worldly and sophisticated to believe in concepts like courage and honor, is not only obnoxious but also actually indicative of a LACK of experience and sophistication.

Can you please give a quote ? I don't remember that. Although we know well that Mat is honorable, the way he says it can only be interresting :)

I suppose that for context, more than a sentence is needed. It comes just after Noal's, "you tell him Jain Farstrider died clean" moment.

He and Thom entered another chamber. Thom was weeping, but Mat held his tears. Noal would die with honor. Once, Mat would have thought that kind of thinking foolish ---what good was honor if you were dead? But he had too many memories of soldiers, had spent too much time with men who fought and bled for that honor, to discredit such notions now.

Dorm-room philosophers still tend to think as Mat once did, and see that way of thinking as proof that they have moved beyond childish and romantic notions of justice, courage and honor. But in reality, they just haven't seen enough in their safe and pampered lives to come to appreciate the importance, and the truth, of such concepts.

He and Thom entered another chamber. Thom was weeping, but Mat held his tears. Noal would die with honor. Once, Mat would have thought that kind of thinking foolish ---what good was honor if you were dead? But he had too many memories of soldiers, had spent too much time with men who fought and bled for that honor, to discredit such notions now.

Dorm-room philosophers still tend to think as Mat once did, and see that way of thinking as proof that they have moved beyond childish and romantic notions of justice, courage and honor. But in reality, they just haven't seen enough in their safe and pampered lives to come to appreciate the importance, and the truth, of such concepts.

ToM also contains the opposite message. Romanticizing honor is a way of making sacrifice more bearable to us, which is important when sacrifice is necessary. But the Aeils' refusal to let go of war culture in a time of peace is what will destroy them as a people, perhaps the greatest tragedy in the series, if it's not avoided.

ToM also contains the opposite message. Romanticizing honor is a way of making sacrifice more bearable to us, which is important when sacrifice is necessary. But the Aeils' refusal to let go of war culture in a time of peace is what will destroy them as a people, perhaps the greatest tragedy in the series, if it's not avoided.

The possible future of the Aiel is in absolutely no way "the opposite message."

If anything, it further reinforces the point. In that possible future, the Aiel act dishonorably, and are consequently destroyed.

The possible future of the Aiel is in absolutely no way "the opposite message."

If anything, it further reinforces the point. In that possible future, the Aiel act dishonorably, and are consequently destroyed.

just to throw in a personal note for me. If there was one thing in the world I could do, it would be to make honour a core value again. . . it is so sad that it was lost through time

Archived