DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Greetings and Good Cheer!

LadyWordsmith

I just typed a reply to you, but my internet borked as I was posting it! -tears hair out-

(IT DID IT AGAIN! But I copy/pasted, because I'm savvy.)

Anyways, I think I'm the only person online, so I'll say hi to you! :) (I probably post way too much in this board, haha)

I read your introduction thread and you seem like good fun to be around... Perhaps you could start a Kin Recipe Thread at some point. ;) Also, you've been reading WoT since the month I was born! Strange thought, that! (For me, anyway.)

I'll stop rambling (I'm quite tired) and tell you that Lor has to officially accept new Kinsters, but since the rest of us are allowed to throw parties.

party-hat-puppy.jpg

*laughs and shakes her head* don't really like dogs, huh?

*grins and wraps a blue sash around LadyWordsmith's hips, then kisses both cheeks*

Welcome to the Kin! :D

I do so enjoy making people's day and stuff. ;)

So, party or I hurt something... maybe the hat on the dog's head? *ponders and winks*

... What's clogging?

It shares a lot of similarities with tap dancing, but uses double-taps on the shoes...here's a pretty nice example of what she is talking about. :)

My sister clogged with the Sooner Clogging Company in Oklahoma for many years. I was not that coordinated. ;)

Wow, that is pretty cool! While we're on this topic, what's the difference between line dancing and square dancing? :laugh: Are they just different traditional dances? In Scotland we have loads of different dances but they're all just different types of ceilidh dancing. Is that similar?

On American TV programmes, they always seem to make fun of their southern states. I don't get that, they seem to have a much more interesting culture than the other ones...

Wow, that is pretty cool! While we're on this topic, what's the difference between line dancing and square dancing? :laugh: Are they just different traditional dances? In Scotland we have loads of different dances but they're all just different types of ceilidh dancing. Is that similar?

On American TV programmes, they always seem to make fun of their southern states. I don't get that, they seem to have a much more interesting culture than the other ones...

Line dancing is everyone doing the same moves but standing in a line (The Electric Slide is a line dance, for example). Square Dancing involves changing patterns and dancing with a partner (think medieval European dances. Especially English. Most of the moves are modified forms of that). At least for all of the line and square dances I have seen (or been required to learn in Elementary School). Most of the dances I do for fun are medieval European dances, so I can't tell you much more about "American" dancing after about the late 1960s. :wink:

Well I think it depends on which Southern States. I don't see a lot of shows making fun of Florida (for example), or Virginia, or even the Carolinas. And I think it depends on the current political situation. "The South" is traditionally more conservative (often viewed by other folk as backwards, old fashioned, and less intellectual). There are a variety of reasons for this, but some are tradition and some are based on statistics. And really, the "South" has gotten a bad rap ever since the Civil War for people who care to make fun of it. I expect it's somewhat socially ingrained and some people don't necessarily give it a lot of thought.

To me, the cultures of all 50 states (cause really, you're dealing with 50 semi-related subcultures that you can 'loosely' group by region) are pretty interesting, North and South. It's a lot of fun to go exploring and learn about each of them in turn. I have family and friends in pretty much every corner of the country, and there's a lot of intermixing with people moving. So the cultures blend a lot in the cities. :biggrin:

To me, the cultures of all 50 states (cause really, you're dealing with 50 semi-related subcultures that you can 'loosely' group by region) are pretty interesting, North and South. It's a lot of fun to go exploring and learn about each of them in turn. I have family and friends in pretty much every corner of the country, and there's a lot of intermixing with people moving. So the cultures blend a lot in the cities. :biggrin:

You can say that again! I love exploring the US, but I really do hope to get out and go explore England, Scotland, Ireland, and Australia someday (for a start). ;)

I agree. I really enjoy English Country Dance. Russian is fun. Italian is tooooo complicated...though they did have equality down to an art.

I was actually going to make the same comment about square dancing being like English Country Dance. Line Dance has a lot of variety and the ones I have done have moves similar to clogging except without the toe-tapping.

I only know about Scottish dancing, haha. That's probably bad! I know the English have Morris Dancing, but I didn't know they had "country dancing" as such.

We get a lot of "urban" (is that the right word?) American culture here across the pond, filtered through the media. It's a bit annoying, really, because you always hear/see British teenagers using American slang/pronunciations/spellings. I've done it myself, it's pretty inescapable. :(

You know, I went to a clogging workshop a few years ago and there was a visiting group there... FROM SCOTLAND! :D Apparently, there are regions even that far away that have adopted American Clogging as a step between Step Dancing and Tap, too! :D I've met cloggers from Australia and even Africa! It's really gaining a lot of popularity in weird places!

As for people picking on us Southerners... it's mostly because they don't know any better. They like to think we're all still the backwards cousins we were 100 years ago. Since we're not, I could rant for a while about Yankees. LOL I'll be nice and just smile about it for now. ;)

I could rant for a while about Yankees. LOL I'll be nice and just smile about it for now. ;)

*giggles* I could actually enjoy that...but then I would have a few other people annoyed with me. They worked for many years to get me to stop ranting and since I've gone into theatre and may have to work with those Northerners...yeah, I should play nice. :rolleyes: lol

That is awesome that clogging has spread that far. I didnt' realize that.

Some people are just fair game to pick on, I guess. :P Good that you folk seem good natured about it, though, haha. I have to deal with some Scots who flip out every time anyone makes a haggis joke or something... gah.

I can't dance to save myself, except ceilidh dancing. Except that's not really dancing so much as running manically in circles to accordions and fiddles.

LOL, if there's music, it's dancing... so sayeth my 3 year old! ;)

And my favorite moments are the ones when reality sets in and people realize that there's more to Georgia than Atlanta. It makes me grin like a lunatic every time someone gets online and croons about how beautiful Savannah is (that's where I live and it's one of the most beautiful and historically accurate places in the world!). I just want to thump them on the head and say "DUH!" And I could thump Paula Dean on the head, too, since now that's what half the country (if not the world!) thinks Savannah is like and they're shocked when I don't sound anything like that on the phone.

I do have a healthy appreciation for butter, though. ;) That's just a southerner talking, though. *grins*

Archived