DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How to prevent Avi's vision of Seanchan dominance

Lord D

106 members have voted

1. 1. How should Avi's vision be prevented?

• Change Aiel culture
    • Destroy Seanchan
    • Change Seanchan culture
    • Avi's vision can't/won't be changed
    • The DO will WIN!!!
    • Other
    • Both Seanchan and Aiel cultures must change

Aviendha's vision of a post-Last Battle world dominated by the Seanchan with the Aiel exterminated was, in my opinion, one of the most disturbing moments of the whole series. It was a world where the DO had been defeated, but where the Seanchan had eventually come to dominate the world. A Seanchan world empire could have lasted a very long time, as Traveling makes instant communication and transportation of armies easy, and it thus becomes straightforward to crush rebellions before they can gather steam. In the vision, the Aiel make mistakes themselves that lead to the Seanchan becoming dominant, so it's not a complete Seanchan takeover - the Aiel were somewhat responsible for what happened. Here are options on how this vision could be prevented.

Change the Aiel culture: Although the Aiel made mistakes that lead to war, and then Seanchan dominance, I don't think just changing their culture works. If the Aiel had gone back to the Waste, or adopted the Way of the Leaf, the Seanchan would have been the only major power in Randland after the Last Battle. While Tuon would presumably have honoured her bargains with Rand, the next Emperor/Empress might not honour these bargains, and might well decide to gobble up Randland and then the Waste, etc.

Destroy the Seanchan: Darth Rand was about to do this with the Choedan Kal, but pulled out at the last minute. I don't think this is viable anymore, as the Light will need to focus on the Last Battle now, and afterwards the Asha'man will be severely weakened, especially as they're fighting Dark Asha'man at the Black Tower. The Seanchan empire is in the southwest corner of Randland, and thus won't take such a huge amount of damage from the LB as much of the rest of Randland.

Change the Seanchan culture: This is the option I like best. A lot of the future conflict will be due to the Seanchan insistence of chaining any female who can channel. If this Seanchan attitude were changed, a lasting peace would be more likely. In order to convince the Seanchan what they're doing is wrong, they'll need to be convinced that sul'dam can in fact channel. I am really hoping that someone leashes Tuon very publicly. The damane business is the most abhorrent piece of the Seanchan culture, so I'd certainly like it to end.

The vision can't/won't be changed: This would be a depressing option, but it's certainly a possiblity. The inconsistencies regarding channnelers' lifespans don't matter if something happened to the channelers.

The Dark One wins: This event would make post-LB visions meaningless, as the DO would break the wheel. However, I really don't think the worst baddies are going to win in WoT, and we do have writings from the 4th Age that seem to show that the goodies won.

Edit 14 Feb: I've added an option for both cultures changing. I probably should have made it clear that voting for Aiel culture changing means only that, while voting for Seanchan changing can also mean Aiel changing. Hopefully adding this option will reduce the "Other" vote. I think the Aiel do need to change too, otherwise they could be unpleasant themselves in the new world.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You left out the most obvious, and easiest solution: Change Rand's plans.

You saw how Rand and Avi's kids and the other Aiel were so focused on the fact that the Car'a'carn had planned for everyone else, but not the Aiel. He made treaties with the Seanchan, created a large coalition of nations, and created the Dragon's Peace... and none of that dealt with the Aiel who were still on theAlmoth Plain. Had Rand accounted for them, they would not have felt abandoned. They would have had a goal to work towards, and a clear mandate... and would not have to look to the wisdom of children.

To prevent her vision from happening, Aviendha simply has to go to Rand and convince him to act like the Chief of Chiefs. It is his duty to lead all the Aiel people, not a single clan, and it is not leadership to leave the people without a plan. If she forces him to recognize that his desire to protect the Aiel, to leave them how they were when he found them, is not in their best interest, then it will be an easy step to convincing him to create a plan for them... a new purpose for the Dedicated.

I think the Aiel and the Seanchan both have to change. It's not just going to be the Seanchan; the vision made it too clear that the Aiel have to change their purpose to maintain cohesion in an age of peace and also survive.

You saw how Rand and Avi's kids and the other Aiel were so focused on the fact that the Car'a'carn had planned for everyone else, but not the Aiel. He made treaties with the Seanchan, created a large coalition of nations, and created the Dragon's Peace... and none of that dealt with the Aiel who were still on theAlmoth Plain. Had Rand accounted for them, they would not have felt abandoned. They would have had a goal to work towards, and a clear mandate... and would not have to look to the wisdom of children.

To prevent her vision from happening, Aviendha simply has to go to Rand and convince him to act like the Chief of Chiefs. It is his duty to lead all the Aiel people, not a single clan, and it is not leadership to leave the people without a plan. If she forces him to recognize that his desire to protect the Aiel, to leave them how they were when he found them, is not in their best interest, then it will be an easy step to convincing him to create a plan for them... a new purpose for the Dedicated.

No, the easiest solution is for Avi to kill herself before ever getting pregnant.

both the Seanchan and the Aiel will change. There is no question in my mind about it. The Seanchan will stop collaring women in AMoL, probably before the LB. I have no idea exactly how it will happen but I'm sure that it will. Mat will likely be instrumental in that.

It's much less clear how the Aiel will change. Avi's visions make it clear that they will change and very significantly. that is the whole point of the visions - to show that the Aiel must change. almost nothing from those visions (except for the peace of the Dragon which is promised by the prophecies) will actually come to pass. But it's much less clear exactly how they need to change. There are multiple hints that they may have to return to the way of the leaf. But this can not be all of it. They need a new goal as a people and I don't know what exactly that's going to be. I also don't know how how something as drastic as going back to the way of the leaf can be naturally incorporated into the storyline.

Other.

In Avienda's vision, it was stated that the Dragon had knealt to the Senchean Empress. Since we know that this is part of the corrupted prophecy, and in the uncorrupted prophecy it is Rand who binds her to serve him, I think it is Rand's and Fortuona's next meeting that will set the stage for how the future plays out.

Naturally whatever happens, some aspects of both cultures are going to have to change drastically in order to prevent Avienda's visions from coming true, but the keystone will be whom ends up kneeling to whom.

I dunno, seems to me the whole circumstance that leads to the future Aiel vs. Seanchan is one of Avienda's kiddos spinning up the rationale for going to war.

Would it be too simple to say, maybe Avienda should work on her parenting skills? I know it sounds kind of lame, but apparently one of the big things for Rand, by his own words, for turning out as he has is because he was raised better, this go around.

I mean I'm not saying the Aiel would have to undergo sudden transformational change on a whole, it very well can end up that way over time (way of the leaf), but generally speaking it'd probably help if she, Avi, helped bring her munchkins up to not have such big heads & make crappy choices?

From the Seanchan side, it's hard for me to speculate because in my opinion, throughout the series, they're the ones that take the undertaking of oaths as one of, if not, the most important aspects of their culture. If a Seanchan made an oath, they'll keep it. If peace was a part of the sworn upon plan, they won't start the future aiel war - but they'll sure as hell finish it.

The Seanchan could change though - there could be a breakdown in social norms to where oaths aren't taken as seriously, which would be a shame. That being said based on what we see in Avienda's vision, her spawn are the ones that throw down the gauntlet.

Correct me if wrong, but didn't Avi see in the columns that the Aiel had not accepted the 'Dragon's Peace'?

I'll dig my book out and have a look.

Edit: here it is:

"Thhe Dragon left us!.. I refuse to follow the memory of a man my greatfathers knew. We made no oaths to follow his foolish plan'"

And on p732:

"The Aiel are not bound by the Dragon's Peace."

So the Aiel started to fight the Seanchan.

Also, it seemed that the Dragon had indeed bowed to the Empress (p729).

So that's two things Avi can try to change..

I think the Aiel and the Seanchan both have to change.

Agreed.

Aviendha simply has to go to Rand and convince him to act like the Chief of Chiefs. It is his duty to lead all the Aiel people, not a single clan, and it is not leadership to leave the people without a plan. If she forces him to recognize that his desire to protect the Aiel, to leave them how they were when he found them, is not in their best interest, then it will be an easy step to convincing him to create a plan for them... a new purpose for the Dedicated.

That might work. He IS very good at listening and taking advise (especially now that he's back from rehab) when it is delivered in non-manipulative manner.

Would it be too simple to say, maybe Avienda should work on her parenting skills? I know it sounds kind of lame, but apparently one of the big things for Rand, by his own words, for turning out as he has is because he was raised better, this go around.

Good point.

It would also help if he saw, and truly felt, that the Aiel are "his people" other then in name (People of the Dragon) only or in blood. I don't think he does yet, not like he does for the TR folk. In FoH he DID call them "my people" but it didn't come off as a deep "belonging to" feeling to me. That was one of the tasks the WO handed to her, which she has not done a very good job at. Granted, it hasn't been easy for her to control her emotions while around him as she thinks she should have. It has been speculated on another thread I think that marrying him would help, which she will probably do in AMOL.

She'd do it Aiel fashion where (if I read it right which I'm not to confident)after the vows are said the groom's family helps him get through the bride's and then the sister-wives(though w/ Elayne pregnant she might not be able to) help him toss her over his shoulder (which will be needed since Rand only has one hand) she puts up a fight then he takes her to the door of the hold (probably a tent for now) where he asks permission to come beneath her roof. I assume the "marriage dues" :wink: are paid (Aiel honeymoon) where she gets pregnant.

Rand's "family" would include his near-brothers Mat and Perrin, his half brother (if he agrees to do it), Tam, and the Maidens of his blood-father's clan & sept, possibly of other societies (Red Sheilds, Stone Dogs, etc) too. Aviendah has Rhurac, Amys(sp?), maybe some spear sisters, her near-sister (if she still considers Egwene as such and if she agrees to do it), who else? Her sister is still gaishen(sp?), yes? I guess she could also have members of various societies as long as they are of her clan & sept.

The whole concept of the Dragon's Peace seems to be flawed. As long as it doesn't bind everyone it can't work. So excluding Aiel and Seanchan will inevitably doom it.

If it's just preventing the Seanchan dominance I'd say abolishing the practice of damane is enough. If there are no damane the Seanchan will be unable to win the war. The destruction of most adam and the knowledge of their manufacture would put a stop to that.

However I don't think that would be enough to change the ultimate fate of the Aiel. The Aiel need to change, find some way to adapt to the future. The rest of the world seems to be embracing technologic advance and while an Aiel is right now pretty much the deadliest creature under the sun which is untainted by the shadow spears and quick feet won't win against the steamengine and gunpowder. If they want to retain as much of their ways as possible they'll need some new power.

It's much less clear how the Aiel will change. Avi's visions make it clear that they will change and very significantly. that is the whole point of the visions - to show that the Aiel must change. almost nothing from those visions (except for the peace of the Dragon which is promised by the prophecies) will actually come to pass. But it's much less clear exactly how they need to change. There are multiple hints that they may have to return to the way of the leaf. But this can not be all of it. They need a new goal as a people and I don't know what exactly that's going to be. I also don't know how how something as drastic as going back to the way of the leaf can be naturally incorporated into the storyline.

Well, in the Age of Legends they earned honor through service rather than war, and that seems to be where they are headed again. Obviously they cannot be warriors in an age of peace.

The theory is far from popular for obvious reasons, but I have a tendency to think they will end up earning honor through serving the Empire (no really, the arguments against this are obvious, so don't bother). It could be a key to abolishing slavery as we know it; the hierarchy is necessary in a way for the Seanchan Empire to work as well as it does, but slavery is reprehensible, so...

The reason why I suggest this is that the Da'shain were essentially slaves in the Age of Legends. Of course, it doesn't seem that way because they are all quite happy with the way things are, but that's only because their masters are nice and their service is respected. There's a very blatant reference to slavery in the fact that Charn has to ask Mierin Sedai to grant him a transfer to Zorelle Sedai so that he can be with the woman he is going to marry. Of course, in real world slavery institutions, these requests were rarely granted or respected in any way, and I think that is part of the difference that RJ was trying to show. Also, the concept of 'ownership' in reference to the Da'shain was never mentioned, and I think that is probably the most important point. There were some studies done in the early 20th century concluding that many freedmen felt their lives were easier and happier as slaves because they did not have to worry about a place to live or food to eat. During the Reconstruction, it was almost impossible for freedmen to earn a living wage. The Emancipation was, quite obviously, very necessary, but the main reason was the concept of ownership, which in turn tends to lead to inhumane treatment, but honestly, many real-world employers are not much better.

Anyway, the Seanchan have to abandon the idea of ownership of humans, which is a very convenient place for the Aiel to step in, and it also ties in with the fact that the war was started in the first place over the Aiel who were being held as da'covale and damane (not just Shaido).

The funny thing is, in the future that Aviendha saw, the 'remnant of a remnant' prophecy must have been fulfilled by those Aiel who were captured by the Seanchan. There's a hint there that this is the only way for them to survive.

Other.

In Avienda's vision, it was stated that the Dragon had knealt to the Senchean Empress. Since we know that this is part of the corrupted prophecy, and in the uncorrupted prophecy it is Rand who binds her to serve him, I think it is Rand's and Fortuona's next meeting that will set the stage for how the future plays out.

Naturally whatever happens, some aspects of both cultures are going to have to change drastically in order to prevent Avienda's visions from coming true, but the keystone will be whom ends up kneeling to whom.

I don't think so. We don't know which prophecies are corrupted at all, and the Aiel were the problem, not the Seanchan. They started the war, and regardless of what Oncala thought, the Seanchan were NOT planning on breaking the Peace because Rand had knelt to Tuon. They only defended themselves against the Aiel, and the Seanchan kept their vow not to move against the other nations until Oncala convinced them to enter the war, at which time they were released from their promise.

Correct me if wrong, but didn't Avi see in the columns that the Aiel had not accepted the 'Dragon's Peace'?

Yes, this had to do with this:

"They have chained Wise Ones," Edarra said, her too-young face growing dark. She smelled dangerous. Angry but cold, like the smell before a person planned to kill. "Not just Shaido, who deserve their fate. If there is an alliance with the Seanchan, it will end as soon as the Car'a'carn's work is finished. Already, many of my people speak of a blood feud with these invaders."

"I doubt Rand wants a war between you," Perrin said.

"A year and a day," Edarra said simply. "Wise Ones cannot be taken gai'shain, but perhaps the Seanchan ways are different. Regardless, we will give them a year and a day. If they do not release their captives when we demand them after that time, they will know our spears. The Car'a'carn cannot demand any more from us."

The pavilion grew still.

The whole concept of the Dragon's Peace seems to be flawed. As long as it doesn't bind everyone it can't work. So excluding Aiel and Seanchan will inevitably doom it.

The Seanchan were not excluded.

I for one welcome our new Seanchan overlords.

How could you!? Don't you know they'll have us toiling in the sugar mines?!

There is no sugar in WoT. :wink:

Well, in the Age of Legends they earned honor through service rather than war, and that seems to be where they are headed again. Obviously they cannot be warriors in an age of peace.

yes, I agree with that. also, Avi's visions make it extra clear that the thing they need to change is their war culture.

The theory is far from popular for obvious reasons, but I have a tendency to think they will end up earning honor through serving the Empire (no really, the arguments against this are obvious, so don't bother). It could be a key to abolishing slavery as we know it; the hierarchy is necessary in a way for the Seanchan Empire to work as well as it does, but slavery is reprehensible, so...

well, at least it's a theory. I don't really have any myself. and it is some kind of service which I think is what the Aiel we'll have to do if they are to "take back their places of old". the problem with various service possibilities (including this one) is that we have some indications that the Aiel will remain somewhat independent because of the elaborate arrangement set up by Egwene between the Aiel Wise Ones, Aes Sedai and the windfinders. while one can argue that within the story this does not prove anything and can be changed in the future, I don't think BS would go to all the trouble of describing it if the Aiel were destined to become Aes Sedai servants for example. That was their primary function in AoL and yes, as you say, it was some kind of slavery (although I doubt if it was enforced in any way). other than serving Aes Sedai in general, the Aiel served the Dragon so maybe they have to keep doing that. But it's hard to see what exactly that could entail as I'm pretty sure Rand is going to depart somewhere after the LB (if he survives). As near as i can tell, the only other thing they did in AoL was seed singing (or more generally, singing to enhance channeling). I suppose Rand could teach them now how to do that if he wanted to. but I don't see how that could qualify as a goal for the whole Aiel people.

I haven't seen anyone mention this quote. This isn't exact by any means, but it stood out to me. It goes something like "The old empress had been more willing to listen to their arguments." Tuon dies before the Aiel attack the Seanchan post TG. I got the impression she died during TG.

Save Tuon and maybe there can be peace. Mat has knowledge, and probably respect for, the Aiel ways. Through Tuon he can influence things, but if she dies the Seanchan will have no caring for the Aiel at all.

I think if the Aiel accept the Dragon's Peace, as Aviendha will certainly make them do, they'll go to Shayol Ghul with everybody else. Then an Aiel, probably Aviendha or another who can channel, will save Tuon. Specifically in such a way that a Damane couldn't (probably a circle?). This influences Tuon and the Seanchan against hating channelers.

We also know Tuon has an interest in returning to Seanchan and restoring order. Keep her alive and she'll take them away from Randland. Just as RJ said would happen in the outrigger he planned.

Save the Empress, save the world.

The funny thing is, in the future that Aviendha saw, the 'remnant of a remnant' prophecy must have been fulfilled by those Aiel who were captured by the Seanchan. There's a hint there that this is the only way for them to survive.

Hmm, I always assumed the 'remnant of a remnant' prophecy referred to the several hundred Shaido that returned to the Wastelands with Therava. If the Aiel under Rand become servants again and never return to the Three Fold Land, then this Shaido remnant from Malden would be the closest thing to the old Aiel ways.

Hmm, I always assumed the 'remnant of a remnant' prophecy referred to the several hundred Shaido that returned to the Wastelands with Therava.

Presumably, they were destroyed along with the rest. I assume they were hunted down by the other clans first.

If the Aiel under Rand become servants again and never return to the Three Fold Land, then this Shaido remnant from Malden would be the closest thing to the old Aiel ways.

Depends on your definition of 'old'.

Also, Rand is supposed to personally save the 'remnant', which he can hardly be said to have done for the Shaido.

No, the easiest solution is for Avi to kill herself before ever getting pregnant.

You really think Avi's kids will be the only Aiel that want to fight the Seanchan? Or that we have seen anything from the Seanchan that indicate that they will not eventually want to consolidate all lands and leash all marat'damane?

I hope you don't have a daughter that can channel.

Nah, mankind will always find a reason for war somewhere. Plus "The great battle done but the world not done with battle" or whatever the exact wording of the foretelling was.

Nah, mankind will always find a reason for war somewhere. Plus "The great battle done but the world not done with battle" or whatever the exact wording of the foretelling was.

Everyone assumes that refers to the Last Battle, but it probably doesn't. Too many logical contradictions. War will not go away completely, but Rand's dream is of an era of peace to follow the Last Battle, at least in Randland proper, and I think that is what RJ was going for. The Empire will probably conquer the world just as Aviendha saw, and that will probably require some fighting, starting with the Seanchan continent, but they will conquer with a vision of peace and liberty for all (like Hawkwing), rather than the evil empire that they became in the vision. Hawkwing's vision was a noble one, hence Ishamael's desire to destroy it:

"Fool, I have never been bound!" The fires of his face roared so hot that Rand stepped back, sheltering behind his hands. The sweat on his palms dried from the heat. "I stood at Lews Therin Kinslayer's shoulder when he did the deed that named him. It was I who told him to kill his wife, and his children, and all his blood, and every living person who loved him or whom he loved. It was I who gave him the moment of sanity to know what he had done. Have you ever heard a man scream his soul away, worm? He could have struck at me, then. He could not have won, but he could have tried. Instead he called down his precious One Power upon himself, so much that the earth split open and reared up Dragonmount to mark his tomb.

"A thousand years later I sent the Trollocs ravening south, and for three centuries they savaged the world. Those blind fools in Tar Valon said I was beaten in the end, but the Second Covenant, the Covenant of the Ten Nations, was shattered beyond remaking, and who was left to oppose me then? I whispered in Artur Hawkwing's ear, and the length and breadth of the land Aes Sedai died. I whispered again, and the High King sent his armies across the Aryth Ocean, across the World Sea, and sealed two dooms. The doom of his dream of one land and one people, and a doom yet to come. At his deathbed I was there when his councilors told him only Aes Sedai could save his life. I spoke, and he ordered his councilors to the stake. I spoke, and the High King's last words were to cry that Tar Valon must be destroyed.

"When men such as these could not stand against me, what chance do you have, a toad crouching beside a forest puddle. You will serve me, or you will dance on Aes Sedai strings until you die. And then you will be mine. The dead belong to me!"

Woot, a little bit of /. in Dragonmount, who would've thought ...

I believe the Aiel will have to face a change so big that they won't come out of TG with the same mind set, if alive at all. The Seanchan's mindset however seem unmovable. I hope they'll also have their "big" moment. However they cannot "die" as a people. Most are just people like you and me (so to speak) so only a fraction of them will be at TG, while almost all the Aiel people will be.

Everyone assumes that refers to the Last Battle, but it probably doesn't. Too many logical contradictions. War will not go away completely, but Rand's dream is of an era of peace to follow the Last Battle, at least in Randland proper, and I think that is what RJ was going for. The Empire will probably conquer the world just as Aviendha saw, and that will probably require some fighting, starting with the Seanchan continent, but they will conquer with a vision of peace and liberty for all (like Hawkwing), rather than the evil empire that they became in the vision. Hawkwing's vision was a noble one, hence Ishamael's desire to destroy it:

I don't think that the Seanchan will subsume the entire Randlands. At least not in the near future. There are several prophecies and dreams about Rand cutting the wetlands in two with a sword. The meaning is pretty clear there I think. so in short term there will be peace of the Dragon with the Seanchan controlling the half they already conquered just like they do in Avi's visions. Any fighting there that might occur after the LB will probably occur some considerable time in the future.

Of course, it all could be a part of the peace of the Dragon somehow to fulfill the bolded part of the Aelfinns answer.

"The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die."

But I don't think it will simply mean that the whole Randlands become a part of the Seanchan empire, else there is no need for two halves at all.

"Fool, I have never been bound!" The fires of his face roared so hot that Rand stepped back, sheltering behind his hands. The sweat on his palms dried from the heat. "I stood at Lews Therin Kinslayer's shoulder when he did the deed that named him. It was I who told him to kill his wife, and his children, and all his blood, and every living person who loved him or whom he loved. It was I who gave him the moment of sanity to know what he had done. Have you ever heard a man scream his soul away, worm? He could have struck at me, then. He could not have won, but he could have tried. Instead he called down his precious One Power upon himself, so much that the earth split open and reared up Dragonmount to mark his tomb.

"A thousand years later I sent the Trollocs ravening south, and for three centuries they savaged the world. Those blind fools in Tar Valon said I was beaten in the end, but the Second Covenant, the Covenant of the Ten Nations, was shattered beyond remaking, and who was left to oppose me then? I whispered in Artur Hawkwing's ear, and the length and breadth of the land Aes Sedai died. I whispered again, and the High King sent his armies across the Aryth Ocean, across the World Sea, and sealed two dooms. The doom of his dream of one land and one people, and a doom yet to come. At his deathbed I was there when his councilors told him only Aes Sedai could save his life. I spoke, and he ordered his councilors to the stake. I spoke, and the High King's last words were to cry that Tar Valon must be destroyed.

"When men such as these could not stand against me, what chance do you have, a toad crouching beside a forest puddle. You will serve me, or you will dance on Aes Sedai strings until you die. And then you will be mine. The dead belong to me!"

That's an interesting quote especially the bolded part. After reading it it occurred to me that

if you are right about the unification it could also be fulfillment of a part of the Shadow prophecy from TGH

The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree.

Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.

Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.

Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.

Now the Great Lord comes.

It could be that the ancient wrong that needs to be slayed is breaking up of one land into many nations. Hawkwing fixed it and now the Seanchan are about to do the same.

One way would be if there were no Dragon's Peace at all.

The concept of the Dragon's Peace, coming from Jordan, always perplexed me a bit. War is the human condition, a fact that Jordan knew well. A world without war is enough to make a world with magic and fantastic creatures seem realistic.

Another way would be a forced re-ordering of the political structures of the various peoples, especially the Seanchan, but others as well. If, in Avi's vision, it wasn't enough to persuade the Andoran Queen, but the Aiel also needed to persuade a council or senate or some such, disaster in the form of a war of agression would be less likely. Not impossible, but less likely.

One way would be if there were no Dragon's Peace at all.

The concept of the Dragon's Peace, coming from Jordan, always perplexed me a bit. War is the human condition, a fact that Jordan knew well. A world without war is enough to make a world with magic and fantastic creatures seem realistic.

The peace of the Dragon is going to come because of this

And the Glory of the Light did shine upon him.

And the Peace of the Light did he give me.

Binding nations to him. Making one of many.

Yet the shards of hearts did give wounds.

And what was once did come again

—in fire and in storm

splitting all in twain.

For his peace . . .

—for his peace . . .

. . . was the peace . . .

. . . was the peace . . .

. . . of the sword .

And the Glory of the Light did shine upon him.

—from "Glory of the Dragon"

composed by Meane sol Ahelle, the Fourth Age"

-FoH, Ch56

Another way would be a forced re-ordering of the political structures of the various peoples, especially the Seanchan, but others as well. If, in Avi's vision, it wasn't enough to persuade the Andoran Queen, but the Aiel also needed to persuade a council or senate or some such, disaster in the form of a war of agression would be less likely. Not impossible, but less likely.

something like this might have to occur.

Archived