DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Tower Database Project

Matalina

A)

I don't spot a table anywhere that has the handle plus characters, like this one: http://whitetower.al...com/?page_id=40

There is one called "character listing", but I'm not sure what the purpose of that one is. If at all possible, I'd like one that is alphabetical according to character, with the OP breakdown, and one that lists all characters by every member, alphabetical according to member names (handles).

Alphabetical Character OP Breakdown - http://aliciawilkers...abase/op-table/ it's called OP Table in the menu. It doesn't have the handles but the table really can't have another table I had to finesse it so that it looked okay as it is.

Sorry, I didn't express myself properly. I meant to say that I see the OP Table, but not an "Alphabetical according to handle and including all characters" Table.

That last one doesn't need to have the OP breakdown again, though a few things in there would be nice, for instance: Handle, character name, rank (novice / accepted / Ajah + position), age, OP strength+skill=Pot, Talent, BRS score

I can change the character listing to include handle, it already has rank.

And just as an FYI everything is sortable on every heading!!!!

Yes please and ... so THAT'S what those icons do! *Goes into nerdy ecstasy* :biggrin:

Man, that's soooo handy!

B)

The NSW list: would that not be better moved to either Databases or the Ajahs? It seems a bit out of place under "About us"

That's where you had it I just copied it from where it was. We can move it wherever you want.

Yeah it was under Aes Sedai and Ajahs in the old version, but it does make more sense to have it with the rest of the databases.

C)

The AS Age System: Would it be possible to put this into some kind of table form too? I'm not sure how complicated your database can go ... if we enter someone's data, and their age is put at say 99, could it automatically be put into the group aged 90+ ?

My point being that at the moment it looks like we have to "manually" update the existing "form", instead of it automatically getting routed into a pre-generated format, like OP score, etc.

I can do this it's just a matter of sorting the data and putting it in the right area. But again right now if we add Age to the character listing we can sort on age as well.

*Loves the sorting function*

It would be good to have them in the groups, with descriptions of what those age groups mean, though.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for the double post multiple posts, but when I try to do more than a few quotes in one, all coding goes screwy :mad:

D)

Requirements Table: Would it be possible to copy the old req tables to the new site as is, just for record keeping?

It's still there. You can view it, if you want to add it to the menu that's cool just tell me where you want it and if you want it. You as staff can always see it easily by going to the page views... I'll add in a plugin called pageMash which will let you see all the pages at the same time with out having to change pages.

It would be good if everyone could view it. For instance, if someone comes back after a long time and wants to pick up where they left off, they can see what they've already done.

Not sure what that pageMash does?

E)

Bonus OP Skills table: I can't find that on the new site, like this one on the old site: http://whitetower.al...com/?page_id=13

1. You said you were going to record those type notes in the admin notes area as to which classes they did etc. The skills number is currently only displayed per the op table as a +0 for most and a +whatever to anyone else. You didn't request more than that. I can have a skill table but right now it's just going to be displaying the op score +.5 + 1 type information not like the one, you did not ask for that when we spoke you said to just keep it private in the character notes section.

*nods* I recall that now. You've got to remember that it's been a VERY long time since I worked with stuff like this, and I don't always understand what you're saying, or misunderstand. It's very difficult for me to conceptualize, or express what I mean in the correct terms, and quite often it's only when I see the results that the penny drops.

What I understand by "record those type of notes in the admin areas" is that only "admin" can input the data, but the end result will be viewable by all. Is that wrong?

F)

Talent request form: Could the blurb at the top of this page on the old site be put at the top of the form on the new site?

We can add whatever text you want to the page. Its just like any other wordpress page.

And the only things I know about wordpress is what I taught myself through trial and error ... lol ... hence the many dumb questions I ask.

G)

Use or Submit an Object of Power: There's no form for this on the old one, though it says fill out the form :rolleyes: ... could we make one?

sure tell me what you want it to have on it. No problem at all.

Great :biggrin:

Ok looks like there would be 4 forms:

Please note: ALL Object of Power submissions or requests for use MUST be approved, so please wait to hear back from us!

A) Submit an Object of Power

If you wish to add to our collection of objects of power, please fill out the following form and send it to dmwhitetowerstaff [at] gmail [dot] com.

1) Submit an Angreal

• Angreal Name
  • Angreal Description
  • Angreal Effect
  • Angreal History
  • If you plan on using your newly submitted Angreal in an RP (Aes Sedai or Accepted with AS Supervision), please let us know that as well, with an RP Outline of how it will be used and how long it will be used.

2) Submit a Ter'Angreal

• Ter’angreal Name
  • Ter’angreal Description
  • Ter’angreal Uses
  • Ter’angreal Trigger
  • Other History
  • If you plan on using your newly submitted Ter'Angreal in an RP (Aes Sedai or Accepted with AS Supervision), please let us know that as well, with an RP Outline of how it will be used and how long it will be used.

B) Use an Object of Power

If you wish to check out/use an existing Object of Power, please fill out the following form and send it to dmwhitetowerstaff [at] gmail [dot] com.

1) Request to use an Angreal

• Angreal Name
  • Angreal Description
  • Angreal Effect
  • Your Rank
  • Do You Have any other Objects of Power currently?
  • If yes, how many?
  • RP Plans for this Object
  • How long will you need this Object?

2) Request to use a Ter'Angreal

• Ter’angreal Name
  • Ter’angreal Description
  • Ter’angreal Uses
  • Ter’angreal Trigger
  • Your Rank
  • Do You Have any other Objects of Power currently?
  • If yes, how many?
  • RP Plans for this Object
  • How long will you need this Object?

Quotes are getting too over run so I'm just gonna summarize:

OP Table _ I will try to add the handle to the existing form however it may make names all squished an multiple lined. I was unable to make the formatting as I wished as I didn't explore their CSS 100% it was annoying hehe.

NSW Page - Well everything in the database is either dynamic or a form. Unless you intended to enter the NSWs into your bios (which I think you should btw), it really doesn't fit in there as it's a manual page. We can make it not manual if you put them into the database.

I intended to make an Age sorting system I just haven't gotten to it yet as I have to do a bit of programming to make the if then else stuff work and display properly and need to think on the best method.

Requirements page (old) - I link it into the requirements table so that someone old can find it. Like I said all the information is there, it's just not accessible through the menu.

pageMash is just a plugin that lets you see all your pages and drag and drop them into the right order. But it doesn't help with the new menu system so it's just a "See all my pages plugin"

OP skill page - When I said you can record those type notes I'm pretty sure I told you that only an Admin would be able to see said notes. They cannot be viewed by the public. If you want more I need specific information because when discussing it before you said just a place to record the pluses and that was all I did.

Objects of Power - no problem I'll work on those it's already on my list of things to do.

My To Do List Before Live:

1. Add info to the Character Listing - Handle, BRS, Talent, OP Skill/Strength - done

2. Create an Age Table - http://aliciawilkerson.com/dev/wtdb/white-tower-database/aes-sedai-age-list/ done

3. Submit an Object of Power form created

4. Add handle to OP Table - unable to complete see item #6

5. Link in old Requirements page to New Page

6. Create a handle vs name table (no other table can handle the added column)

I totally forgot to give you the addresses for the forms :blush:

Bio Submission & Wilder Request - email to dmwtbios@gmail.com

Bond Submission, Talent Request, WS Training Request - email to dmwhitetowerstaff@gmail.com

We could also have one for requirement submissions if you feel that is needed.

I don't think that will be necessary - they can just post and request it from the MoN, or email it to staff, as per usual.

OP Table _ I will try to add the handle to the existing form however it may make names all squished an multiple lined. I was unable to make the formatting as I wished as I didn't explore their CSS 100% it was annoying hehe.

*nods* it would get quite squishy in there - best place to put the handles would be in the other form. We could shorten the rank entries a bit to make more room (for instance, Brown Sister instead of Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah).

NSW Page - Well everything in the database is either dynamic or a form. Unless you intended to enter the NSWs into your bios (which I think you should btw), it really doesn't fit in there as it's a manual page. We can make it not manual if you put them into the database.

I agree with entering the NSWs into the database - that's what I was thinking we'd be doing anyway *nods*

OP skill page - When I said you can record those type notes I'm pretty sure I told you that only an Admin would be able to see said notes. They cannot be viewed by the public. If you want more I need specific information because when discussing it before you said just a place to record the pluses and that was all I did.

*nods* as I said, I probably misunderstood you. This is the first time in months I've had both the energy and the uninterrupted time to look at things properly, which is why I only picked up on it now. That being said, it's not a train smash that only the Admins will be able to see it - as long as we CAN see it, that's fine :biggrin:

My To Do List Before Live:

1. Add info to the Character Listing - Handle, BRS, Talent, OP Skill/Strength - done

2. Create an Age Table - http://aliciawilkerson.com/dev/wtdb/white-tower-database/aes-sedai-age-list/ done

3. Submit an Object of Power form created

4. Add handle to OP Table - unable to complete see item #6

5. Link in old Requirements page to New Page - done added to menu (can't add to page as is)

6. Create a handle vs name table (no other table can handle the added column) - http://aliciawilkerson.com/dev/wtdb/white-tower-database/handle-v-character-listi/ - done

Btw, I tried to add my Esther to the database ... not sure if it worked, though.

Nope doesnt' appear so. You need to make sure to hit Publish at the top right hand corner or you'll lose your data.

Craptard. Yeah I hit "publish", but there was a glitch while I was halfway through entering the data, so maybe it didn't work because of that. Will try again tonight.

Btw, will it accept the whole if some cells are left empty? For instance, I couldn't enter Esther's links to her req RPs, since they lead back to DM7 *sighs*. Also, there were a few cells which confused me a bit as to what should go in them - i'll post more about that later.

Craptard. Yeah I hit "publish", but there was a glitch while I was halfway through entering the data, so maybe it didn't work because of that. Will try again tonight.

Btw, will it accept the whole if some cells are left empty? For instance, I couldn't enter Esther's links to her req RPs, since they lead back to DM7 *sighs*. Also, there were a few cells which confused me a bit as to what should go in them - i'll post more about that later.

Check the tutorial I posted first maybe it'll explain it.

Also you do need to put something in the link fields as exlained in the tutorial if you use # it will not go anywhere, but it will be create a link for you.

and yes if it didn't finish loading it probably didn't save the info

Done 2 ... man that is SO much better than the old way!

A few glitches I've noticed:

1) the descriptions differ a bit from what's in the bio format, for instance:

• there's no "other", but there's a "description"
  • Weaknesses: there's 3 in the bio format, but only the generic weaknesses there. I've just put all 3 in the one cell, but it's a bit cramped. Workable, though

2) How exactly should the height's be typed in? Most people do it in feet and inches, ie 5"7', but then it only displays as 5

3) the Bondings: instead of displaying as Warder or Asha'man, it shows the number (ie either 1 or 2)

4) would it be possible to put "other" in by the req choices, since some of the old choices are no longer there?

All in all, though ... BLESS YOU!!:wub:

* there's no "other", but there's a "description"

* Weaknesses: there's 3 in the bio format, but only the generic weaknesses there. I've just put all 3 in the one cell, but it's a bit cramped. Workable, though

This is done by design, as they kinda fill out the same thing.. its only going to be cramped reading it in the box, it'll display fine on the page.

2) How exactly should the height's be typed in? Most people do it in feet and inches, ie 5"7', but then it only displays as 5

Well that's wrong notation lol. the single quote is feet and the double quote is inches. You should do 5'7" it won't display the " I will add that to the tutorial page

3) the Bondings: instead of displaying as Warder or Asha'man, it shows the number (ie either 1 or 2)

I thought I fixed that. I'll take a look.

4) would it be possible to put "other" in by the req choices, since some of the old choices are no longer there?

I suppose but that's only really needed for old characters. You don't need novice/accepted reqs etc for old characters, all the links will be dead and such. I can but I don't really see the uses of it other than to record it. I can add a public general notes if you want so you can record things like that. But for old characters I wouldn't even put any of the reqs in place but that's me. Just let me know which method you want and I'll check it out.

* there's no "other", but there's a "description"

* Weaknesses: there's 3 in the bio format, but only the generic weaknesses there. I've just put all 3 in the one cell, but it's a bit cramped. Workable, though

This is done by design, as they kinda fill out the same thing.. its only going to be cramped reading it in the box, it'll display fine on the page.

They do look a bit bunched up in the new format:

Weaknesses:Knowledge Weakness: Though not brilliant, she is of above average intelligence: Physical Weakness: Does not like “roughing it.”: Personality weakness: Has a temper that gets out of control when she finds a Darkfriend.

as opposed to how it looks in the Bio:

Knowledge Weakness: Though not brilliant, she is of above average intelligence

Physical Weakness: Does not like “roughing it.”

Personality weakness: Has a temper that gets out of control when she finds a Darkfriend.

Is there some coding whereby one can make them appear in 3 separate lines?

Well that's wrong notation lol. the single quote is feet and the double quote is inches. You should do 5'7" it won't display the " I will add that to the tutorial page

duh ... sorry, I'm used to the metric system and I always get that mixed up. Fixed it now :blush:

I thought I fixed that. I'll take a look.

K thanks :smile:

As for the reqs: it's fine as is - I misread and thought one HAD to fill in something there to make it add the character, but that was just my computer glitch that made it not add, not the blank reqs.

Okay.

Other than the objects of power forms is there anything else that needs to be done.

I fixed the bond display issue. And I think everything else is done.

Let me know.

If that is all then I will finish those up and then start the move to the live server.

Mat