DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Tower Database Project

Matalina

I am not sure if Elgee said anything but she has given me access to this board for only one reason - to get the info I need for the new White Tower Database I'm working on.

I currently have 3 things I need from someone in this lot.

1. Taei: You are the webmistress of the White Tower, if you have a bit of time can you design me a new White Tower header and maybe a background. I'd like to move ya'll to a 3.0esque WordPress Theme instead of the outdated one you currently have. I'd like to base it off of the default theme which you can currently see at http://www.aliciawilkerson.com/dev/wtdb. The header dimensions are: 940 × 198 pixels. You don't have to choose a background if you don't want to and we can change colors easily enough and anything pretty much related to style, but the structure of the site I'd like to keep the same as it is as it makes for updating things much easier as I'm working on a child theme.

2. I need to have a pretty finalized set of requirements for the Weapon Score Increases for the White Tower. I don't have a set deadline as of yet, but the sooner I have this the sooner we can test all the functions out and provide instructions for those that need it.

3. I need to have a pretty finalized set of requirements for returning characters who have been gone for six months or more. Elgee says ya'll are working on this. But as above I really do need the information.

A few notes about the new Database.

1. I will probably add forms to the website that people can submit directly from to the appropriate email.

2. You will have to add in each element by hand into the database. I don't want ya'll to spam the database up, we will have a captcha on the forms to prevent spamming the inbox though.

3. This is a static page and information. I will provide a helpful instruction guide for Taei if she needs to edit things in the future. I am always available to help even if I'm not at dm, I'm only an email away.

I think that's it for now.

There is nothing to see at the site at this time. I'm working on the back end so there is nothing in the database yet as soon as I have all the admin panel stuff set I'll work on the public stuff.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3. I need to have a pretty finalized set of requirements for returning characters who have been gone for six months or more. Elgee says ya'll are working on this. But as above I really do need the information.

Elgee didn't I send this to you? I could swear I did. I'll track it down and send it again and get Elgee's input and get back to you Mat. :)

Will see what I can dig up for you Mat. And I'm familiar with the platform, so as long as there's no errors that come up I should be able to tweak whatever they need, no worries. :smile:

I'll give you a run down before you need it. I'll work on a tutorial so you can see including pictures.

Do you need any help Mat? I have a lot of experience with HTML and some with CSS.

Right now I don't need any help with it. I'm working off of an existing theme in which whatever we can come up with to change it I can do easily.

Attached is an image of what the back end of the new Character Database will look like with Information for Kate filled in.

post-10-0-43900700-1291847692_thumb.png

Kate's Visible Bio - this is a functioning view of what I've done of the individual bio to date. This can posibly error out as I am working on this page at current. Tho I probably won't start more until tomorrow.

Mat

http://aliciawilkerson.com/dev/wtdb/?page_id=855 - WT Database main page

http://aliciawilkerson.com/dev/wtdb/?page_id=859 - OP Scores Table

I will be adding in a few different bios over the next few days to make sure that all the fields are saving right. And things are sorting right. After I get all the tables and pages working I work on making the tables "sortable" and "paged" but that will be the very last thing.

I have to finish the "bio" page yet.

After that all I need to finalize it is all the stuff I've mentioned above.

Mat

Just an fyi at godaddy.com whitetower.info is only 1.99 not sure how long it will stay that way or if you can do multiple years.

But if you want your own domain, I can conintue to host it for free with someone purchasing the domain for a price. Or you can pay me through paypal and I can keep it through my domains and remind you about it.

Okay I just checked its 1.99 for the first year and 9.99 for every year after that, prices are subject to change each year.

Mat

WS and Talent pages haven't been setup. Did I have access to the login info? Can't remember. >.< Was going to make sure all of it was working right. :)

And personally, I love the new theme. :biggrin:

Edited by Taei

Yes I know they've not been set up. I don't have WS information so thus I can't do anything with it.

Talent I just haven't coded yet.

Glad ya'll like the theme.

Taei you don't have a login in as this is on a dev site so I can work with out interfering with a working site. If you'd like to look at the back end I'm more than willing to set you up an account. Shoot me an email so I can set you up one.

Once it's all done I'll move everything to the WT site and there should be very little set up.

I am also going to enable "pretty-urls" as the urls look bad with the custom stuff we are doing. You won't have to change any links as they will all still work they are what wordpress uses as short links.

I need to get with Elgee at some point to make sure we got all things covered so it's just a matter of making public pages.

I've been trying to get that WS story sorted out, but we've been hit with temps of near 40C (That's 104 F), which means I'm mostly puking my guts out or otherwise lying in a cold bath. (Anything over 30C makes me physically ill).

I've been trying to get that WS story sorted out, but we've been hit with temps of near 40C (That's 104 F), which means I'm mostly puking my guts out or otherwise lying in a cold bath. (Anything over 30C makes me physically ill).

Yuck. I hope it cools down some for you.

I have coded the talent page. Just waiting on WS stuff now as far as I can tell. But Elgee and I need to discuss all that she wants done with this.

Mat

column sorting and paged tables are in but they aren't working not exactly sure why. I think I need to look for another script to do it as this one doesn't give me instructions on the pager, so I might take it out for the time being. To see if the sort comes back.

Mat

column sorting and paged tables are in but they aren't working not exactly sure why. I think I need to look for another script to do it as this one doesn't give me instructions on the pager, so I might take it out for the time being. To see if the sort comes back.

Mat

everything is working now.

All public displays should be set now. And working. If some display would be helpful let me know. This I don't have a public display for are the Returning Character Reqs, 2nd/3rd Reqs and WS Reqs. These things are displayed on a per character basis so for example you'd be able to see 2nd/3rd Reqs on Alicatia and Returning Character Reqs as well as those are what she's done. And Kate would have Novice and once an Accepted Req is added you'd start to see that as well.

The only thing I have left to do is forms for submissions. These are the following forms I intend to have made:

Bio Submission - emailed to ?

Bond Submission - emailed to ?

Talent Request - emailed to ?

WS Training Request - emailed to ?

Wilder Request - emailed to ?

We could also have one for requirement submissions if you feel that is needed.

These will not show up on the dev site as I would have to recreate them anyway on the live site so I will be making them on the live site. I will probably added the forms to the dev site afterwards for completion for my portfolio but I may not do that so it will only be on the live site.

Mat

To my knowledge this project is complete.

I need to write some tutorials but they aren't needed just yet so I don't have to produce them right now.

All the character information is stored, displayed and all forms currently work.

Things that need doing before going live.

1. You (the staff - elgee etc) must verify all the pages that are required are displayed in the menu and remove anything that is not needed to clean up the navigation. Note: All pages from the live site are avaialbe on the dev site just not navigatable through the menu - this will remain to be the case for when this new site goes live!

2. I will have to move/recreate all the forms on the live site so they will work accordingly on the live site.

3. You need to provide email addresses to where these forms need to go to. Bond Information Submission, Talent Requests, BRS Requests, Bio Submissions, Wilder Request I will then add them to the live site. All dev site forms point to my personal email address for testing.

After these things are completed I will recreate the pages to the live site from the dev site and set up the live site per the dev site standard. This may take a few days I hope that it will not interfer with the working of the site.

Mat

This is one amazing piece of work, Mat! I'm going through it page by page at the moment, and I've got a few notes:

A)

I don't spot a table anywhere that has the handle plus characters, like this one: http://whitetower.aliciawilkerson.com/?page_id=40

There is one called "character listing", but I'm not sure what the purpose of that one is. If at all possible, I'd like one that is alphabetical according to character, with the OP breakdown, and one that lists all characters by every member, alphabetical according to member names (handles).

That last one doesn't need to have the OP breakdown again, though a few things in there would be nice, for instance: Handle, character name, rank (novice / accepted / Ajah + position), age, OP strength+skill=Pot, Talent, BRS score

B)

The NSW list: would that not be better moved to either Databases or the Ajahs? It seems a bit out of place under "About us"

C)

The AS Age System: Would it be possible to put this into some kind of table form too? I'm not sure how complicated your database can go ... if we enter someone's data, and their age is put at say 99, could it automatically be put into the group aged 90+ ?

My point being that at the moment it looks like we have to "manually" update the existing "form", instead of it automatically getting routed into a pre-generated format, like OP score, etc.

D)

Requirements Table: Would it be possible to copy the old req tables to the new site as is, just for record keeping?

E)

Bonus OP Skills table: I can't find that on the new site, like this one on the old site: http://whitetower.aliciawilkerson.com/?page_id=13

F)

Talent request form: Could the blurb at the top of this page on the old site be put at the top of the form on the new site?

G)

Use or Submit an Object of Power: There's no form for this on the old one, though it says fill out the form :rolleyes: ... could we make one?

A)

I don't spot a table anywhere that has the handle plus characters, like this one: http://whitetower.al...com/?page_id=40

There is one called "character listing", but I'm not sure what the purpose of that one is. If at all possible, I'd like one that is alphabetical according to character, with the OP breakdown, and one that lists all characters by every member, alphabetical according to member names (handles).

Alphabetical Character OP Breakdown - http://aliciawilkerson.com/dev/wtdb/white-tower-database/op-table/ it's called OP Table in the menu. It doesn't have the handles but the table really can't have another table I had to finesse it so that it looked okay as it is.

That last one doesn't need to have the OP breakdown again, though a few things in there would be nice, for instance: Handle, character name, rank (novice / accepted / Ajah + position), age, OP strength+skill=Pot, Talent, BRS score

I can change the character listing to include handle, it already has rank.

And just as an FYI everything is sortable on every heading!!!!

B)

The NSW list: would that not be better moved to either Databases or the Ajahs? It seems a bit out of place under "About us"

That's where you had it I just copied it from where it was. We can move it wherever you want.

C)

The AS Age System: Would it be possible to put this into some kind of table form too? I'm not sure how complicated your database can go ... if we enter someone's data, and their age is put at say 99, could it automatically be put into the group aged 90+ ?

My point being that at the moment it looks like we have to "manually" update the existing "form", instead of it automatically getting routed into a pre-generated format, like OP score, etc.

I can do this it's just a matter of sorting the data and putting it in the right area. But again right now if we add Age to the character listing we can sort on age as well.

D)

Requirements Table: Would it be possible to copy the old req tables to the new site as is, just for record keeping?

It's still there. You can view it, if you want to add it to the menu that's cool just tell me where you want it and if you want it. You as staff can always see it easily by going to the page views... I'll add in a plugin called pageMash which will let you see all the pages at the same time with out having to change pages.

E)

Bonus OP Skills table: I can't find that on the new site, like this one on the old site: http://whitetower.al...com/?page_id=13

1. You said you were going to record those type notes in the admin notes area as to which classes they did etc. The skills number is currently only displayed per the op table as a +0 for most and a +whatever to anyone else. You didn't request more than that. I can have a skill table but right now it's just going to be displaying the op score +.5 + 1 type information not like the one, you did not ask for that when we spoke you said to just keep it private in the character notes section.

F)

Talent request form: Could the blurb at the top of this page on the old site be put at the top of the form on the new site?

We can add whatever text you want to the page. Its just like any other wordpress page.

G)

Use or Submit an Object of Power: There's no form for this on the old one, though it says fill out the form :rolleyes: ... could we make one?

sure tell me what you want it to have on it. No problem at all.

My To Do List Before Live:

1. Add info to the Character Listing - Handle, BRS, Talent, OP Skill/Strength - done

2. Create an Age Table

3. Submit an Object of Power form created

As we discuss more I will add to this list.