DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Breaking

Well i got to thinking Tonight about the Original breaking and the new one that has been Prophizised...

It's been pretty well established throughout the series that when the male side of the source got tainted that the men driven mad by it were the cause of the breaking, hence why LTT was also blamed for it all happening..

But here's the interesting thing. In the Prophecies it clearly says that the Dragon will cause a new Breaking.. How would this happen if

he has cleared the taint off the source preventing male channelers from going mad which should prevent them causing a breaking.

My theory is this.. It was not the Male channelers that caused the breaking but the act of Locking away the Dark One. I think it altered the pattern to such a Degree that with the Pattern snapping back into place this is what caused the Breaking, meaning LTT still gets the blame but the Male Aes Sedai were more an affect of what happened in SG. If that's the case then if Rand happens to Destroy or Reseal away The Dark One then that act would again likely cause another breaking.

I like this idea you could be on to something big. Something else to consider is what would the new breaking look like, would it set the world to look like the AoL again because DO was locked up then. That's something I'm likely to think about the whole time I'm at school today. When I get home I'll probably think of something to post tonight and not be abe to post it. I hate not having internet!T-T

. I think it altered the pattern to such a Degree that with the Pattern snapping back into place this is what caused the Breaking, meaning LTT still gets the blame but the Male Aes Sedai were more an affect of what happened in SG.

No. The Breaking was not an immediate consequence of sealing the Bore. That was two things and two things only: the taint, and the surviving Companions and LTT going instantly mad. They caused a lot of destruction in the short term, but there was no insta-Breaking.

If there were, the prologue of EotW wouldn't have happened.

What Rand experienced in Rhuidean would have been impossible.

There would have been no time to save any of the Da'shain Aiel, or gather the objects of the Power and chora cuttings they took with them, or create the Eye or any of that.

There would have never been a Seed Singing where a young Da'shain heard news that the Bore had been sealed and the war ended. That took place hours and hours after the Strike had succeeded, and I'm pretty sure they'd have noticed, you know, geography being completely rewritten in the interim.

The Ogier would not have records of searching for the stedding for so long DURING the Breaking that they were afflicted with the Longing, nor of sheltering male Aes Sedai who gave them the means to create the Ways in gratitude for being spared the madness for a time.

In short, everything we know about the history of the world wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

No, it actually took a fairly long time for the rest of the male Aes Sedai to go insane, and it wasn't until they did that the world began to be drastically altered. If that hadn't have been the case, no one would have ever survived the Breaking. The alterations would have been far too rapid and drastic.

My theory is this.. It was not the Male channelers that caused the breaking but the act of Locking away the Dark One. I think it altered the pattern to such a Degree that with the Pattern snapping back into place this is what caused the Breaking, meaning LTT still gets the blame but the Male Aes Sedai were more an affect of what happened in SG. If that's the case then if Rand happens to Destroy or Reseal away The Dark One then that act would again likely cause another breaking.

What I like about this theory is not that I have some evidence, but one of the points of WoT is that history in the Wheel of Time is like real history, i.e. our knowledge is only as good as our sources. Rand saw some female AS talking during the breaking about some male AS actually destroying a city, but we'll see. Again, the thing I love about WoT is that you could be right. Even if you're not, it shows how awesome these books are that you can just raise the question.

Rand saw some female AS talking during the breaking about some male AS actually destroying a city, but we'll see.

He also saw what happened immediately after the Bore was sealed: the world wasn't Broken, and his Da'shain ancestor never thought "Gee, that was so weird how the whole Pattern just re-arranged everything this morning. Oh well. Guess I'll just go sing now. Probably not important." And he also saw the stages of it in earlier visions of the past: it lasted centuries. It took decades before people could no longer pick out landmarks or recognize any geography.

Rand saw some female AS talking during the breaking about some male AS actually destroying a city, but we'll see.

He also saw what happened immediately after the Bore was sealed: the world wasn't Broken, and his Da'shain ancestor never thought "Gee, that was so weird how the whole Pattern just re-arranged everything this morning. Oh well. Guess I'll just go sing now. Probably not important." And he also saw the stages of it in earlier visions of the past: it lasted centuries. It took decades before people could no longer pick out landmarks or recognize any geography.

I dont think i said it was an instant effect?

Plus how can there be another breaking if all the Ashaman can't go insane now? the taint would have to still be in effect.

Maybe because Rand, Logain or other Asha'man are going to "fix" the World. Make it as it was before. Or the destruction/sealing/traping of the DO is going to have some bad effect on the land...

Either it is a literal Breaking, and the World is geographically changed, or it is a metaphorical Breaking, and it is bonds, ties, allegiances, nations, etc.. that will be broken.

As far as we know, the breaking is exactly what the pattern intended. Up to this point in the books, the only thing we know that can alter the pattern away from its original intent is balefire, which creates the balescream effect you described. There was no groan of the pattern rearranging to account for this (which would have happened immediately), nor, as Didymos pointed out, did anyone feel anything out of the ordinary. Surely such a monumental re-weaving of the pattern would have had these effects on a global scale.

Also, what we know about the Land of Madmen suggests that the breaking was a man-made occurrence. Apparently the interior of the Land of Madmen is as if the breaking never ended. The channelers there are constantly reshaping that landmass, like the breaking never ended.

Archived