DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Verin Sedai . . . a mystery to me.

Limedust

What is Verin doing? She is almost omnipresent-- there when the most important things are happening and she seems to know much more than most give her credit for. She also is very protective of Rand . . . but maybe not in that motherly sort of way. She was going to poison Cadsuane! She is manipulating people with compulsion. WHY? I can't figure it out, but one of my recurring premonitions is that she, and perhaps the leaders of the Brown Ajah are not so much intereted in Knowledge as much as they are interested in the knowledge of the Dragon Reborn and assuring his survival. No real proof . . . but I'm curious. In my opinion, this question is more important than that of who killed Asmodean, and whether Bashere will die or be exposed as Darkfrined. It seems somehow integral to the continuation of the of Rand's story. I may however, be completely off base--perhaps this question was sufficently covered but I didn't get to it?

Verin is definitely "up to something". But, she is the most "Aes Sedai" of all the Aes Sedai in the books, not in the literal "Servants of All" sense, but in the "none of you have any clue what I'm really up to" sense. She actually keeps secrets, unlike a whole lot of the Aes Sedai, whose gums seem to flap incessantly, with meaning. She's mastered the art of talking all day without saying anything. Cadsuane's is the only "will" remotely comparable (among Aes Sedai, and with Moiraine currently in duress), and even she hasn't really deflected Verin at all.

As to a possible Brown Ajah secret mission ... this is just my feeling ... or at least, I don't have any direct evidence to cite, but the impression I get is that this is a personal thing with Verin. I think that she, like Cadsuane, has or had access to some unusual knowledge/training that has given her a clearer picture of some things that have to happen to and around Rand. And she is SMART (unlike some I could name *cough* Elaida *cough*).

So in conclusion, there isn't really enough to reach a conclusion! Thats why she's one of my favorites, its truly difficult for me to anticipate her.

I have wondered whether she is the third point to the triangle - siuan and moiraine were friends as novices and people remembered that - perhaps verin is the third 'friend' but people have forgotten - she's a safeguard for Rand's protection in case Siuan and Moiraine are killed / put out of the way. Funnily enough...

She tends to travel with Allanna - who as we know is not all goodness and light, and in book 3 / 4 she warned Perrin to beware of her. Perhaps she is with Allanna again to protect Rand and eventually somehow free him of his bond to her?

Verin is a wonderful complex character and one of my personal favorites. I for one truly do not know what she is up to. My inclination is that she is working on her own motivated by something she has learned in her studies as a Brown. I do not think she is Black, but she does not seem to be bound by the three oaths (Moriane sent me). She also uses complusion which is questionable. How strong is Verin in the power? I cant remember.

I did take a wild hair once and suggest that the Creator sent Verin and she is on a mission from him. This is a bit crazy and has no basis I will freely admit.

Reading pgs. 96-98 in "The Great Hunt"...Verin is amazing. She talks with fearlessness, seems completely detached, and through that freedom she lays out her obvious fascinations about Rand, without spilling her other motivations, knowledge and experience. She is able to join the fold with Moraine and Suiane, with such ease. I think almost anyone else would have gotten incinerated bringing up the information the way Verin did it. That's some skill.

What is she up to? Very interesting...If I remember correctly, she even lies to Ingtar and Perrin about being sent by Moraine. Perrin's instincts tell him that she's definelty there for Rand. To what end, though? That is a big question.

Throughout the other books she seems to display things you'd expect from her ajah, but yet there is MUCH more to her motivations and actions...

RJ has done a masterful job on us readers...we can only guess where this is going. Any other ideas out there? Is she absolutely under the Light?

Verin is not a third friend of Suine and Moiraine's from their days as a novice. For one thing she is among the older Aes Sedai--somewhere between 160 and 200, according to Merana's concideration of the pecking order in the Lord of Chaos.

I too think that what she is doing is the result of personal knowledge rather then some Ajah or Tower plot. In many ways i think Verin has chosen to do the jobs no one else knows to do. Manipulating the entire light to ensure that everything is in place.

She said she has been working towards something for around 70 years, though we do not know what it is. Only that she worries that rand will endanger it with his hamfistedness, which suggests it has something to do with the Last Battle.

My suspicion is that her plans have to do with all the nitty gritty stuff that has to be done before the last battle... my guess given her actions is that it has to do with making sure the Aes Sedai follow Rand.

There is some confusion about chronology. In LoC Merana says she had been Aes Sedai for 10 years when Alanna was born. and that she was 11 years in training. Lets say she started at 20... rough average, that makes her 41 years older then Alanna.

Here's the problem though. Cadsuane thinks to herself that Alanna has worn the shawl for 40 years, but in New Spring she was an accepted... thats 20 years ago. Moreover Sheriam, who was also accepted at that time has stated that they were novices together. I think we have to trust this and not Caddy. This makes Alanna 36, and Merana 77.

Merana then thinks that Verin may very well be as much older then her as she is of Alanna. Which would put Verin at around 118. Merana seems uncertain in saying that, and the thing is ive always thought Verin seemed older. She seems to be thought so by other Aes Sedai.

Wasn't there supposed to be a third group of Aes Sedai hinted at from time to time? One which is "willing to support Rand". Maybe she's a member of this group.

Uhm, I think you're refering to Rand's misinterpretation of the letter he recieved in FOH. That the letter was written by Alviarin should give a hint about how much "support" he can expect from that group...

She said she has been working towards something for around 70 years, though we do not know what it is.

I’m guessing it involves male channelers in general, I doubt she even knew the last battle would be in her lifetime 70 years ago and she has expressed an interest in male channelers and the dissipation of channeling in general. I strongly suspect her goal is related to that, and Rand’s mistreatment of the Aes Sedai could definitely get in her way if that is the case.

You see i think it has more to do with the Aes Sedai and making sure that THEY will be willing to take their position in the Last battle... not as the leaders but merely as participants. I think Verin is amazingly realistic about the Aes Sedai's natures, and has been actively working to ensure they don't ruin things.

Uhm, I think you're refering to Rand's misinterpretation of the letter he recieved in FOH. That the letter was written by Alviarin should give a hint about how much "support" he can expect from that group...

I don;t know if i'd call it a misinterpretation. Alviarin intended him to think that she supported him. Nevertheless he seems at least suspicious of the offer.

god i can't wait to see what the dickins is going on with verin!

this particular mystery is why i think i've stuck with the series so long. who killed asmodean never really caught my imagination , but this.....

my own personal feeling is that she's been working towards the world surviving TG (and not just the dragon winning it). in doing so she's immersed herself in the prophesies and learnt all kinds of forgotten knowledge. if she's not pulling the strings for the light , which is a bit too high powered for her really, then she at least has a good idea of which strings to give a tweak to every now and then.

and tomas. he's got to have some major skills in there somewhere! i can't wait to see him in action. verin remarks that he has skills in suprising areas and i hope to god it's not just carrying books and talking to inn keepers . surely he can't have spent so much time close to mystery without picking some up himself?

bring on the big verin reveal!!!

For a bit of Clarification: I did not mean to imply that Verin was in league with Siuan and Moiraine from the beginning. It is obvious that she wasn't. Furthermore, I don't think of Moiraine and Siuan as a "secret society;" those two were victims of circumstance, and two women hardly sounds like a society to me. The questions that I have about Verin stem from her actions directly--the lying part is very interesting, and something I had not considered before. Furthermore, Verin claims she hadn't made a "mistake" in seventy years--what was that mistake, and in what way did she make it?

Finally--in New Spring, Cadsuane is much in evidence. In one of the later books, she asks an Aes Sedai (can't remember who) something to effect of "Were you part of that vileness that happened right after the Aiel War." I wonder what the vileness was, but suspect it had something to do with the death of the then Amyrlin and the raising of Sierin Vayu. Was Verin involved? She was in the tower at the time, as was shown in New Spring, and full Aes Sedai. Just some more chum for the sharks.

Guest cwestervelt

The Vileness was the Red Ajah running rampant and Gentling men outside of Tower Law. Rather than bringing them to Tar Valon as required, they simply Gentled them on the spot and left them to the mercy of the local inhabitants. Thom's nephew Owyn was one of the victims, which is why he had his falling out with Morgase. It is also the reason that several of the current Red Ajah hierups were sent into exile. From Toviene's PoV we also know that Elaida was involved. I suspect she is the one that Moiraine promised to tell Thom about if he went with Nynaeve and Elayne.

The Vileness also provided the cover the Black Ajah needed to attempt to eliminate any male channellers thus killing the Dragon Reborn before he was identified.

There is something else decidedly suspicious about Verin because wasn't it revealled in one of the later books (not sure which) when everyone's in Far Madding, that Verin is from there and was forced to flee for some reason or another? Or was it someone else entirely and I'm imagining things?

Verin's indiscression took place 40 years ago, and was significant enought that there might still be arrest warrents around for her. Romanda's was more recent and her maid helped her escape. Cadsuane has no problems with the law in Far Madding.

Guest cwestervelt

No Aes Sedai is really welcome in Far Madding. That Cadsuane has the audacity not only to come back but to and run roughshod over the matriarch isn't going to make her popular.

In Verin's case, it isn't an Arrest Warrent but an Exile Warrent. Verin was officially banished from Far Madding. She might have fled before it went into effect but it is also possible she was actually arrested, tried and found guilty of whatever violation of Far Madding Law she was accused of. She's concerned she might actually be flogged for returning if they realize who she is.

Something else that may be of interest, isn't Verin the one that called upon Egwene and gave her the dream ter'angreal? And also told her all about the last dreamer the tower had (can't remember name). Immediately after giving it to her the chapter goes to Verin's perspective and implies some extensive scheming I think. I need to re-read to find out exactly what though.

Verin is hip deep in everything that happens it seems.

For me, one of the biggest questions concerning Verin that i want answered, is what she said/did to the red sisters that she interrogated. I found that incident quite compelling and that was the act that really cast a huge mystery over her for me. Are those sisters still under compulsion or still carrying out Verins wishes in some way? She certaintly is a mystery.

Given Elza's actions i think its safe to assume that the interogation revolved around Elaida's plans for Rand, and then went on to compelling the captured Aes Sedai to do everything in their power to keep Rand alive and aid him in reaching Tarmon Gai'don.

Archived