DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue Length and Predicitions

Luckers

And if we are very lucky, maybe Moiraine.

Oooh. Interesting thought. It would be a good way to introduce Finnland and show what Moiraine's been up to prior to the rescue beginning--plus it'd retain the rescue tension should Mat have to do other things prior to heading to ToG (fulfil Verin's requests, for instance).

Lots of delicious possibilities, and some good suggestions.

The Prologue has been a time where mid to minor level characters have gotten some POV love, so, with that in mind, here's the things I fancy:

1) Something at the BT (Pevara, Myrelle, Taim). Happened before tGS.

2) Lan riding across the Borderlands.

3) Something from the Borderlanders camp. Has been ongoing for a couple books.

4) Fain. Haven't heard from him in a while.

5) Some sort of Forsaken PO. Mesaana or Demi.

6) Moiraine.

7) Avi.

8) Tuon. Seanchan reaction to the raid.

9) Alviarin or some other fleeing Black Sister.

Some interesting notes on POV's, for the stat geeks.

Rand hasn't had the most POV's in a book since Winter's Heart, though he leads overall with 199. Don't think he'll be in the prologue.

Nor any of the other "major" characters, who I would define as the other 5 who have over 50 POV's: Perrin and Egwene with 97 each, Mat with 79, Elayne with 58, and Nynaeve with 55. If any of these gets a POV in the prologue, I'd think it means we won't see much from them in the rest of the book. All of them had POV's in tGS except Elayne (first time shut out, other than NS, since her first POV in tSR).

Among the minor characters (who are still alive):

a) Moiraine has 31 (22 in NS). I'd look for her to make a return.

b) Min has 24. She needs some scenes with Rand, but not in the Pro.

c) Siuan has 14. 5 in tGS. Pretty settled for the moment.

d) Faile has 14. Has some work to do (shaving Berelain), but not in the Pro.

e) Cadsuane has 14. 5 in tGS. More work to do here. Maybe

No one else hits double digits, the closest:

9: Fain (nothing since LoC), Gawyn

8: Lan (all in NS), Morgase

7: Avi, Elaida (captured), Galina (ditto)

6: Tuon, Moghedien, Sevanna (captured)

5: Demandred, Alviarin, Ituralde, Graendal (likely dead), Verin (dead), Niall (dead), Geofram Bornhald (dead),

4: Thom, Byrne, Domon, Furyk Karede, Liandrin (captured), Carridin (dead)

3: Moridin, Cyndane, Pevara, Seaine, Delana, Romanda, Merana, Suroth (captured), Osan'gar (dead), Sheriam (dead), Valda (dead), Elza (dead).

Lots of 2's and 1's, but some notable zeros include: Taim, Berelain, Logain, Rhuard, Amys, Dobraine.

Due to the apparent likelihood that the prologue was split, I think it is safe to assume that nothing will be in it pertaining to any of the goings on in tGS.  I think we'll see some of the march for Tarwin's Gap, possibly from Lan's PoV, but it wouldn't have to be.  Very likely we will catch a glimpse of the borderlander army, perhaps the decision to send Hurin as the envoy to Rand.  I expect to see another Forsaken take some short spotlight time (I'm looking at you, Demandred.  Throw us a freaking bone here.)  A Galad, or even Byar, PoV updating where they are, possibly even getting word from scouts about Perrin's massive collection of refugees.  And I also could see some Tinker drama unfolding, perhaps they have a meeting near Ebou Dar, since they feel safe there.  It isn't very often that so many caravans collect in one location, and I doubt an entire chapter would be needed to divulge anything they may discuss.  I could be wrong, of course.

I doubt we'll see main character POV's like Rand or Mat--Brandon was speaking recently how RJ liked to use the prologue to show small characters in other parts of the world.

There were exceptions, like Elayne in Winter's Heart and Rand IIRC, and Perrin in LOC, and I think a few others...but probably Brandon's comment does make it less likely.

Maybe we'll see a POV from a Green on the fact that a Brown and a girl they thought of as a novice did better than the whole green Ajah.  I would think a POV from either Tarna or Pevara(we probably won't get one from Taim until right before the $hit hits the fan, if then), if they got that far I think we need a POV of Reds bonding warder(s).  A POV from a captive Moiraine would be nice.  I still want to know who that tinker DF is, maybe a Rein POV.  Maybe a POV of Ebou Dar's defenses if any; possibly a Birgitte POV of Elayne getting crowned.  Lan POV; don't know about the borderlanders just because a POV from there might ruin the shock value when the trap closes.

Lots of delicious possibilities, and some good suggestions.

The Prologue has been a time where mid to minor level characters have gotten some POV love, so, with that in mind, here's the things I fancy:

1) Something at the BT (Pevara, Myrelle, Taim). Happened before tGS.

2) Lan riding across the Borderlands.

3) Something from the Borderlanders camp. Has been ongoing for a couple books.

4) Fain. Haven't heard from him in a while.

5) Some sort of Forsaken PO. Mesaana or Demi.

6) Moiraine.

7) Avi.

8) Tuon. Seanchan reaction to the raid.

9) Alviarin or some other fleeing Black Sister.

Some interesting notes on POV's, for the stat geeks.

Rand hasn't had the most POV's in a book since Winter's Heart, though he leads overall with 199. Don't think he'll be in the prologue.

Nor any of the other "major" characters, who I would define as the other 5 who have over 50 POV's: Perrin and Egwene with 97 each, Mat with 79, Elayne with 58, and Nynaeve with 55. If any of these gets a POV in the prologue, I'd think it means we won't see much from them in the rest of the book. All of them had POV's in tGS except Elayne (first time shut out, other than NS, since her first POV in tSR).

Among the minor characters (who are still alive):

a) Moiraine has 31 (22 in NS). I'd look for her to make a return.

b) Min has 24. She needs some scenes with Rand, but not in the Pro.

c) Siuan has 14. 5 in tGS. Pretty settled for the moment.

d) Faile has 14. Has some work to do (shaving Berelain), but not in the Pro.

e) Cadsuane has 14. 5 in tGS. More work to do here. Maybe

No one else hits double digits, the closest:

9: Fain (nothing since LoC), Gawyn

8: Lan (all in NS), Morgase

7: Avi, Elaida (captured), Galina (ditto)

6: Tuon, Moghedien, Sevanna (captured)

5: Demandred, Alviarin, Ituralde, Graendal (likely dead), Verin (dead), Niall (dead), Geofram Bornhald (dead),

4: Thom, Byrne, Domon, Furyk Karede, Liandrin (captured), Carridin (dead)

3: Moridin, Cyndane, Pevara, Seaine, Delana, Romanda, Merana, Suroth (captured), Osan'gar (dead), Sheriam (dead), Valda (dead), Elza (dead).

Lots of 2's and 1's, but some notable zeros include: Taim, Berelain, Logain, Rhuard, Amys, Dobraine.

Interesting, I had assumed Berelain had a POV by now.  She's definitely due for one, and I think she's a good bet to have one in the Prologue.  I think Logain's a likely one from that list too.

Archived