DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another possible use for the Eye

C0ldfyre

Alright, there has been a lot of discussion as to whether the Eye of the World was used for the correct purpose and what its intended purpose was.  I've been rereading EOTW and thought of something.  What if the part (or all of) the eye's purpose was to help teach Rand how to channel?  A number of things point to this.  First, we know that the odds of someone teaching themselves how to channel are pretty slim (about 1 in 4), we also know that most(no concrete numbers) of those who do develop some sort of block (or bar) as the case may be.  Rand never shows any signs of this.  One could argue that Rand isn't always able to grasp the source when he wants to until he gets Asmodean as a teacher.  That brings me to my next major point.  Rands initial reactions to channeling the source.  Moirraine describes a persons reaction to touching the source on their own in pretty good detail (sudden onset of sickness, giddiness, etc) and we see Rand afflicted with it several times.  By the time he and Mat escape from Gode at the 4 kings the reactions comes within less then 2 days.  After the incident at the eye of the world no more mention of any such reactions is made.  We're told earlier that the reactions only stop if the wilder reaches the point of no return, in which case they're pretty much a walking corpse, or when they reach some degree of control.  My theory is that the eye provided Rand with a "safe" means of learning control (at least enough to stop the reactions)  What greater need could there be then for the dragon to learn enough to not die before the last battle?  Thoughts? Comments?

Yeah that's right we never did find out exactly where Rand got all the info needed to cleanse the source.  Maybe it was partially the Finn's and didn't he see the eye being creating in the glass columns?  Maybe he got part of the idea from that, like now he knew the taint could be removed, he saw the syphoning effect and integrated that into his thoughts.  But instead of using people as the conduit, and bodies to hold the taint, he used saidar and SL.

Yeah that's right we never did find out exactly where Rand got all the info needed to cleanse the source.  Maybe it was partially the Finn's and didn't he see the eye being creating in the glass columns?  Maybe he got part of the idea from that, like now he knew the taint could be removed, he saw the syphoning effect and integrated that into his thoughts.  But instead of using people as the conduit, and bodies to hold the taint, he used saidar and SL.

he never saw the pool getting made, the green man told them a bit about it before his memory forgot. I like the idea that Harid Fel gave rand a hint, and it shows rand is very creative. I know i never would have put together how to cleanse the source from a fragmented story, moraine saying that the taint of SL is opposite the DO, and a few hints from a dead philosipher.

I am curious could he now refill the pool with OP (both halves) and use that to seal the DO, since then only the pool would be corrupted and then bury it

Indeed, a riddle about "sounds principle in both natural philosophy and high philosophy."

Something like : What is the difference between a bird?

Seriously, what could be this riddle? I thought about something like : "Find the opposite". It's the sort of riddle they would say, no?

Alright, there has been a lot of discussion as to whether the Eye of the World was used for the correct purpose and what its intended purpose was.  I've been rereading EOTW and thought of something.  What if the part (or all of) the eye's purpose was to help teach Rand how to channel?   A number of things point to this.  First, we know that the odds of someone teaching themselves how to channel are pretty slim (about 1 in 4), we also know that most(no concrete numbers) of those who do develop some sort of block (or bar) as the case may be.  Rand never shows any signs of this.  One could argue that Rand isn't always able to grasp the source when he wants to until he gets Asmodean as a teacher.  That brings me to my next major point.  Rands initial reactions to channeling the source.  Moirraine describes a persons reaction to touching the source on their own in pretty good detail (sudden onset of sickness, giddiness, etc) and we see Rand afflicted with it several times.  By the time he and Mat escape from Gode at the 4 kings the reactions comes within less then 2 days.  After the incident at the eye of the world no more mention of any such reactions is made.  We're told earlier that the reactions only stop if the wilder reaches the point of no return, in which case they're pretty much a walking corpse, or when they reach some degree of control.  My theory is that the eye provided Rand with a "safe" means of learning control (at least enough to stop the reactions)  What greater need could there be then for the dragon to learn enough to not die before the last battle?  Thoughts? Comments?

I completely agree. I also think it was the 13th Depository who came up with a similiar thought as well. There seemed to be a big difference between Rands channeling ability before and after the Eye, and to some extent I think the Eye forced Rand to reach his potential sooner then would normally be possible, effectivily jump starting his strength. In a limited amount of time he went from being able to barely channel to destroying armies of Trollocs.

Alright, there has been a lot of discussion as to whether the Eye of the World was used for the correct purpose and what its intended purpose was.  I've been rereading EOTW and thought of something.  What if the part (or all of) the eye's purpose was to help teach Rand how to channel?  A number of things point to this.  First, we know that the odds of someone teaching themselves how to channel are pretty slim (about 1 in 4), we also know that most(no concrete numbers) of those who do develop some sort of block (or bar) as the case may be.  Rand never shows any signs of this.  One could argue that Rand isn't always able to grasp the source when he wants to until he gets Asmodean as a teacher.  That brings me to my next major point.  Rands initial reactions to channeling the source.  Moirraine describes a persons reaction to touching the source on their own in pretty good detail (sudden onset of sickness, giddiness, etc) and we see Rand afflicted with it several times.  By the time he and Mat escape from Gode at the 4 kings the reactions comes within less then 2 days.  After the incident at the eye of the world no more mention of any such reactions is made.  We're told earlier that the reactions only stop if the wilder reaches the point of no return, in which case they're pretty much a walking corpse, or when they reach some degree of control.  My theory is that the eye provided Rand with a "safe" means of learning control (at least enough to stop the reactions)  What greater need could there be then for the dragon to learn enough to not die before the last battle?  Thoughts? Comments?

I completely agree. I also think it was the 13th Depository who came up with a similiar thought as well. There seemed to be a big difference between Rands channeling ability before and after the Eye, and to some extent I think the Eye forced Rand to reach his potential sooner then would normally be possible, effectivily jump starting his strength. In a limited amount of time he went from being able to barely channel to destroying armies of Trollocs.

well look at nyn she could barely channel (never being able to embrase the source, to throwing suian around like a rag doll. Plus rand could have a lot of talent in earth and fire, more than normal. It is a bit strange we never hear about rands talents (except for the lack of healing talent)

It neither knows how to fly.

The 'finns certainly do seem somewhat Delphic-Oracle in their utterances! For example, 'The two must be as one' might refer to anything.. or to everything that is currently divided.

Well, my answer(or the french answer) to this riddle is : it has one foot shorter than the other, especially the left one.

I never made the parallel with the Delphic Oracle! It did seems so obvious...!

I thought he saw it when he was seeing his ancestor's lives in Ruidean...I'm pretty sure because at some point we learn his name,\...in the eye he is just the Green Man.  They made the Eye and he was ther to tskr on the task of guarding it.

He saw the planning of it, but not its creation.

It is a bit strange we never hear about rands talents (except for the lack of healing talent)

That's because it isn't true. For example, Rand is one of the precious few who can keep a Gateway from closing. I'll try to come up with other examples.

He can Read Residues. For the Gateway, IIRC, only Semirhage and Demandred can do that.

We only have hints to understand his Talents. Never a true statement as Aviendha's ter'angreal reading.

Aviendha can read residues too. (Path of Daggers, chapter 2)

I know he isn't the only one with this Talent, I just said that Aviendha told us of her Talent. Or we discover clearly that she reads ter'angreal.

For Rand, we have a fight in which he follows his opponent with a close gateway that leads him to the place Sammael fled. And remember his fight woth Asmo while Skimming. I had to go to my third re-read to understand he is Reading Residues.

Alright, there has been a lot of discussion as to whether the Eye of the World was used for the correct purpose and what its intended purpose was.  I've been rereading EOTW and thought of something.  What if the part (or all of) the eye's purpose was to help teach Rand how to channel?   A number of things point to this.  First, we know that the odds of someone teaching themselves how to channel are pretty slim (about 1 in 4), we also know that most(no concrete numbers) of those who do develop some sort of block (or bar) as the case may be.  Rand never shows any signs of this.  One could argue that Rand isn't always able to grasp the source when he wants to until he gets Asmodean as a teacher.  That brings me to my next major point.  Rands initial reactions to channeling the source.  Moirraine describes a persons reaction to touching the source on their own in pretty good detail (sudden onset of sickness, giddiness, etc) and we see Rand afflicted with it several times.  By the time he and Mat escape from Gode at the 4 kings the reactions comes within less then 2 days.  After the incident at the eye of the world no more mention of any such reactions is made.  We're told earlier that the reactions only stop if the wilder reaches the point of no return, in which case they're pretty much a walking corpse, or when they reach some degree of control.  My theory is that the eye provided Rand with a "safe" means of learning control (at least enough to stop the reactions)  What greater need could there be then for the dragon to learn enough to not die before the last battle?  Thoughts? Comments?

well look at nyn she could barely channel (never being able to embrase the source, to throwing suian around like a rag doll. Plus rand could have a lot of talent in earth and fire, more than normal. It is a bit strange we never hear about rands talents (except for the lack of healing talent)

He's pretty good at travelling, and using Balefire...

Archived