DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers Plural

Kaman

My thought is that the title of the next book may forshadow some future events more than just a rescue attempt at the Tower of Ghenjei. The spelling of the word towers is plural. Also, the use of the word midnight may have some deeper meaning. Midnight could be implying a dark coloration or it could just be referencing some sort of evil. There is one Tower of Ghenjei and it is described as "shining" and "metal", and the finns aren't evil exactly though Mat might argue the point.

My speculation is that the title is pointing to multiple towers coming into play. This could easily be pointing to the Black Tower since the color is right and it fits in with the plural of towers. It is time for some resolution concerning the Black Tower and Taim.

There is also another tower that could fit in with the title of ToM, that being the Seanchan Tower of Ravens. In TSR chapter 53 Perrin has a wolf dream concerning Mat.

"Mat stood naked and bound, snarling; an odd spear with a black shaft had been thrust across his back behind his elbows, and a silver medallion, a foxhead, hung on his chest".

My thought is that Mat could be sent to the Tower of Ravens by Tuon as a punishment for un-Seanchan behavior before the empress. This could be were he is branded as property by the raven tattoos. 

Well, I guess I answered my own question. A quick Google and I found this.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Towers_of_Midnight

"The Towers of Midnight form a fortress complex located within the city of Imfaral, located on the northern landmass of the Seanchan continent. There are thirteen towers in the fortress. The Towers of Midnight are first noted in history as the place where Deain, the creator of the a'dam, was imprisoned after being betrayed by Luthair Paendrag Mondwin during The Conquest.

The Towers of Midnight and the city of Imfaral were captured early during Luthair's invasion, and were the primary base of operations for the invaders before they took Seandar later in the war".

Please also bear in mind, that when the title was confirmed, attention was specifically drawn to the lack of the word 'The' at the beginning - implying that The Towers of Midnight in Seanchan are only one part of its meaning.

Additionally, Brandon originally wanted it to be called the "Three Towers" or that was his working title or some such. I'd suspect the Towers are in reference to Tower of Ghengi, Towers of Midnight (in reference to Seanchan plot) and Black Tower. Or it could be plot lines involving the White Tower, Black Tower and ToG. Or something else entirely. 

RJ said that we would not visit the Seanchan continent in the main series, so i doubt the actual towers of midnight will play a part in it, at least in the literal sense.

Besides, Tuon isnt going back to Seanchan until this side of the ocean is secured, which i doubt will be happening in the remaining story.

I think, however, you are correct in saying two of the towers will be the ToG, and the Black Tower.

The supposed third tower,  I admit I dont know. My best guess would be the White Tower, although most of Egwene's storyline has been mostly been completed in tGS, there are a number of AS in the BT, and, will most likely play a vital part in its rebellion. So my guess would be the BT interaction with the WT.

There are more towers, the towers of Cairhien, Stone of Tear, Malkier Towers, and such like, they could also play a part.

Final note, I also like the Malkier Towers, for we know that Lan is marching towards abandoned Malkier, and we could see a fight there, perhaps liberating Malkier? Or at least revenge. As many people have said about the time frame, it would not be enough time for him to get there, but we dont know the time line in ToM, and there is Travelling available, and Rand now may be partial to help.

Anyway, the point is, unless RJ outright lied, or Brandon has changed it, we will not be going to Seanchan.

If the Seanchan find out who Elaida is, she might earn herself a trip to the towers of midnight. For questioning maybe, although i'm uncertain they will value one marath'damane over another...

I am still very concerned with them finding out about travelling btw :-\

RJ said that we would not visit the Seanchan continent in the main series, so i doubt the actual towers of midnight will play a part in it, at least in the literal sense.

Besides, Tuon isnt going back to Seanchan until this side of the ocean is secured, which i doubt will be happening in the remaining story.

I think, however, you are correct in saying two of the towers will be the ToG, and the Black Tower.

The supposed third tower,  I admit I dont know. My best guess would be the White Tower, although most of Egwene's storyline has been mostly been completed in tGS, there are a number of AS in the BT, and, will most likely play a vital part in its rebellion. So my guess would be the BT interaction with the WT.

There are more towers, the towers of Cairhien, Stone of Tear, Malkier Towers, and such like, they could also play a part.

Final note, I also like the Malkier Towers, for we know that Lan is marching towards abandoned Malkier, and we could see a fight there, perhaps liberating Malkier? Or at least revenge. As many people have said about the time frame, it would not be enough time for him to get there, but we dont know the time line in ToM, and there is Travelling available, and Rand now may be partial to help.

Anyway, the point is, unless RJ outright lied, or Brandon has changed it, we will not be going to Seanchan.

I think someone needs to read the first paragraph of Towers of Midnight again:

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose around the misty peaks of Imfaral. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

Notice Imfaral.

Admittedly, it is highly likely that the wind will then move across the Aryth Ocean, but still - the wind has been there.

Also, if I remember correctly Jordan said that "the action" would never go to Seanchan. Depending on what he calls action.....

I think someone needs to read the first paragraph of Towers of Midnight again:

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose around the misty peaks of Imfaral. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

Notice Imfaral.

Admittedly, it is highly likely that the wind will then move across the Aryth Ocean, but still - the wind has been there.

Also, if I remember correctly Jordan said that "the action" would never go to Seanchan. Depending on what he calls action.....

I know what it said, but really? I admit, there is a suspicious connection there, but there is not enough book to go to the Towers of Midnight. Unless someone randomly travels there, or the seanchan learn travelling and end up there, i dont see what the point would be. I for one would be annoyed if they did go to the seanchan continent.

Theres so much still unresolved, Mat, Perrin, the Black Tower, it would be disappointing to take a chunk of the book to an entirely different continent, with, presumably, a fairly "new" story line (albiet a continuation of the Seanchan struggle, it would nonetheless be new.)

So personally, I just dont see it happening, but it is as you said, possible, but I dont think likely. And in regards to the first sentance. When has that "wind" ever actually played a part in the novel to come. Honestly, I think that the choice to use Imfaral was Brandon stirring the pot for exactly this reason.

If the story does take us to Imfaral, ill admit i was wrong, and will enjoy it, if it is written well within the flow of the story, but I just dont see it happening. Again, the one question, What would bringing an entirely new "city/prison" into the story achieve, with the story about to end? (Note, this does not include the "city/prison" of the ToG, we have already been into the Finn realms.)

Egwene dreams once that Rand sits on a chair, and the chair's owner (it was a she) didn't like it.

I'm going to posit that Rand, in his typical 'blitzkrieg' style, will strike at Seandar and carry off the Crystal Throne. Which would be awesome for his next meeting with the Empress, may she live forever.

Also, isn't there a tower of gold in the black hills, Queen Ethenielle POV in PoD or CoS? I want 3 elfin towers !!

I think that dream of Egwene's was about Rand taking the throne of Andor.  I know he didn't actually sit in it, but dreams are rarely very literal.  And Elayne was quite upset over it, IIRC:)

ALEA IACTA EST

I think that dream of Egwene's was about Rand taking the throne of Andor.  I know he didn't actually sit in it, but dreams are rarely very literal.  And Elayne was quite upset over it, IIRC:)

ALEA IACTA EST

This was the general consensus, and I would have to agree now.  Though for a while my personal theory was that it was the Amerlyn Seat.

I think that dream of Egwene's was about Rand taking the throne of Andor.  I know he didn't actually sit in it, but dreams are rarely very literal.  And Elayne was quite upset over it, IIRC:)

Rand did actually sit the Lion Throne briefly.

“They’re both dead,” Rand said bleakly. He sat down on the throne, his head resting against the moonstone Lion of Andor. The throne had been sized for women. “I killed Gaebril, but not before he killed Morgase.”

If I am not mistaken, doesn't Ishy/Moridin have Black Towers/Black Fortress deep into the Blight?

Yes he does. It was described as a fortress made of black stone deep in the Northeastern Blight (I'd put it due north of Shienar, perhaps north of Tarwin's Gap). Greandal speculated that Moiridin had "found" it and wondered at the oddity. She particularly found the use of black rock to be an annoyance because the bloody thing got really hot.

The very first thing that came to my mind in hearing "Towers of Midnight" was the divisions within the white and black towers. It seems like Robert Jordan designed the end to be a series of dichotomies; everyone needs someone equal and opposite to face at the last battle. To me, "Towers of Midnight" will be about the Aes Sedai associated with Egwene and the Asha'man associated with Logain versus the Aes Sedai associated with Mesaana and the Asha'man associated with Taim. Basically, there is a taint within both the white and black towers, and these tainted sections are the towers of midnight. The best part about all of that is that there is all kinds of interplay, e.g. good Aes Sedai have bonded Taim's Asha'man, both Egwene and Mesaana probably are within the white tower, etc. For me, I think that by the end of this book, it will be clear for the last book and the last battle who will be paired up to fight. (Of course, there will have to be suprises though, too.) Taim will declare himself as evil, Mesaana will be revealed and will separate from the white tower, both take up residence at the black tower. Logain will join with Egwene at the white tower. Then, in A Memory of Light, all hell breaks loose.

If I am not mistaken, doesn't Ishy/Moridin have Black Towers/Black Fortress deep into the Blight?

Yes he does. It was described as a fortress made of black stone deep in the Northeastern Blight (I'd put it due north of Shienar, perhaps north of Tarwin's Gap). Greandal speculated that Moiridin had "found" it and wondered at the oddity. She particularly found the use of black rock to be an annoyance because the bloody thing got really hot.

Depends on what frame of reference Graendal was using. The deep northeastern blight could be above Shara.

I don't understand how anyone could still think that Tuon is going to do horrible things to Mat.  ???  How could you think she'd send him to get tortured? People have been saying stuff like this since WH & CoT. I thought it would be done with after KoD, but no =oP. Tuon was just having fun with Mat in CoT. I never for once thought he'd actually be made da'covale.

Anyway, if we have a ton of Perrin/Mat stuff, I don't know how a full BT resolution could fit into this book, but at the very least we'll have some Black Tower stuff.

I can't remember where it is exactly, but I'm sure I've read a Tuon PoV in which she thinks of Mat shaving his head and becoming a true member of the Blood, and she finds herself not liking that idea.. Also, in tGS Ch19, she relises that she felt safer with Mat than with her guards, and wishes Mat were with her. So no, I don't think Tuon is likely to hurt Mat - though she may find herself in a position where it's a choice between that and something else she doesn't want to do. If so, I think she'd still support/defend Mat.

I think the hwole senachan order is going to be shaken and destroyed (hope they keep the raising people to the blood type stuff)

its the WT, BT and Ganja

it has a nice balance of white silvery and black (clouds anyone?)

And in regards to the first sentance. When has that "wind" ever actually played a part in the novel to come. Honestly, I think that the choice to use Imfaral was Brandon stirring the pot for exactly this reason.

Have you read tGH? Lol, the "wind" in the beginning of this book (which I am currently re-reading) literally pushed Rand like a wall, and was a consistent thought through at least the beginning of the book. It also was (IMO) our first "bubble of evil". The wind is important, don't doubt it ;)

Archived