DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers Plural

Kaman

1. tGH wind was a bubble of evil

2. Yes, I know that it shows the state of the pattern, but it doesnt dictate where events will be played out. The wind has started from various places in earlier books that have not been cenrtal to the story, or even visited.

I believe that the Towers here refer to the Tower of Ghenjei, and the Black Tower. If you remember, Semirhage had slaughtered the royal family in Seandar, and the country was in chaos and civil war. Tuon cannot go back unless she takes a large force to take back the land.. This is not likely to happen in the short time to TG, and so I don't think Mat or Elaida go to TOM in Imfarel.

I believe that the Towers here refer to the Tower of Ghenjei, and the Black Tower. If you remember, Semirhage had slaughtered the royal family in Seandar, and the country was in chaos and civil war. Tuon cannot go back unless she takes a large force to take back the land.. This is not likely to happen in the short time to TG, and so I don't think Mat or Elaida go to TOM in Imfarel.

i agree with not going to Imfarel, however, Brandon has said that the working title of Towers of Midnight had been "the Three Towers", so BT and ToG, and one other, thats the debate here

Additionally, Brandon originally wanted it to be called the "Three Towers" or that was his working title or some such. I'd suspect the Towers are in reference to Tower of Ghengi, Towers of Midnight (in reference to Seanchan plot) and Black Tower. Or it could be plot lines involving the White Tower, Black Tower and ToG. Or something else entirely. 

I think this post sums up the candidates nicely, with the exception of Moridin's Black Tower in the Blight. So, we have:

1. The Towers of Midnight (in Seanchan). The literal title.

2. Moridin's Tower in the Blight. Literally and symbolically Black.

3. The Black Tower. Named black, and partially Black in nature as well.

4. The Tower of Ghenji. Though actually described as gleaming steel.

5. The White Tower. Mesaana still resides there. A hint of Black?

Anyway, we have three that are literally/symbolically black (Seanchan ToM, Moridin's Palace, Black Tower). We have three where a lot of the action in the book will likely take place (Tower of Ghenji, Black Tower, White Tower). We have three Towers where the ebb and flow of events (Light progress vs. Dark Progress) has played out recently (White Tower purge, ToM in chaos, Black Tower events).

Anyway, three ways to look at the book being about three towers.

Archived