DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What about Jorlan Corbesan?

Demiandre

In The Gathering Storm, Rand think about a famous searcher from the Age of Legend. Jorlan Corbesan was the most brilliant crafter of Ter'angreal. He died during the drilling of the Bore and the explosion of the Sharom , as his research facility was located there.

Rand complaints about the fact that the Seanchan, the Atha An'Miere and the Aiel are more or less killing people who can channel (I don't remember which chapter it is, but Rand is speaking with Harine and she describes the choice given to Male Channellers). Rand is mad about the fact that there could be another Jorlan Corbesan among those killed.

Why mention something like this? To make people see that Lews Therin memories are flooding more and more toward Rand? Or because it will have any relevance in the following books?

If the latter, It could be nice to have a male channeler crafting Ter'angreal, and see him working with Elayne.

Its been a common theme since LoC, about how Rand remembers more and more of being LTT. In WH, we see Rand pick up some of LTT's mundane skills (drawing) and memories (tunes). I suspect that that scene was there to reinforce the fact that more and more of LTT's memories are coming in and importantly, that the memories coming complete, not just phrases, weaves or skills without background. (As in, he fully understands the meaning and significance of the memories, instead of phrases that he doesn't understand.)

As for why a ter'angreal crafter is mentioned specifically, I wouldn't mind seeing one of the asha'man working with elayne, perhaps even making an'greal. Then again, it could have no special significance at all. We will see soon enough, I guess.

Well, Narishma already has a specificity, as he is known to be particularly stong in Air (Aviendha's PoV in "the Death of Aldrin") and is currently the Burden-Bearer (Callandor). Flinn is good at Healing per example. It could be cool to see Logain do it.

Or the Big Joke : Taim  ;D

If Ilyena can be Reborn, and Lews Therin, Aemon, or whoever else, why not Jorlan? I expect him to come into play (not as himself, mind, but a reincarnation). If not, I would be highly disappointed. I look forward to such since I read the paragraph.

Only a matter of time until the AM start making ter'angreal and heartstone (men are stronger in Earth then women after all).  In about 1 1/2-2 years they have effectively matched everything the AS have done in over 3000 years. 

And they had traveling and skimming before Egwene figured it out and Flinn figured out how to heal stilling on his own, he hadn't even heard of Nyneave's work.

Not to mention Flinn's awesome healing.

I think the AS should fade away as an order and the women join the AM.

Well, the Ashamen have the advantage of being trained by the Forsaken.  Rand got a lot of stuff from Asmodean and Taim got a lot of stuff from Ishamael (face it, he did) as well as having Aginor hang around for a bit.  It gave them a running start that the Aes Sedai only caught up to with the bits they got from Moghidien.

Also, the Aes Sedai are fairly pathetic as a group and can't do anything, so that put them at a disadvantage too.

Reintegration of men into the tower seems like something that will be worked on.  Especially with all the empty space it has. 

it does have alot of empty spaces, especially sicne the seanchan blew big holes in it. I hope it collapses and AS become a decentralized faction that becomes more integrated with the ashaman and the common populous

Its an interesting idea but I doubt it means anything other then to signify how their thoughts and memories are bleeding more and more together. There was something similiar about Beidomon; because he was mentioned briefly as someone important, speculation went rampant that he was Taim reincarnated or Moridin or I dunno, heaps of stuff :P RJ just likes to make mention of various minor stuff to flesh out his world. Birgitte and Mat do similiar things as well; mention locations that are never referenced in the books again.

Its a cool name though.

Well, I wanted to point out that beforr remembernig the thing about Mr Corbesan, Rand is asking Harine din Togara about the fate of men who can channel in the Atha an Miere. Rand then thinks that those punishment (the Aiel who goes to the blight alone, the Seanchan who I-don't-remember-what-they-do-them, and the suspicion of the main Randlanders). And Rand says there could well be another Jorlan Corbesan among those men.

A hint at something? something to dismiss? totally irrelevant? ...

Well, I wanted to point out that beforr remembernig the thing about Mr Corbesan, Rand is asking Harine din Togara about the fate of men who can channel in the Atha an Miere. Rand then thinks that those punishment (the Aiel who goes to the blight alone, the Seanchan who I-don't-remember-what-they-do-them, and the suspicion of the main Randlanders). And Rand says there could well be another Jorlan Corbesan among those men.

The seanchan simply hunt down and kill men who can channel, as if they were rabid dogs. Rand thinks of it in tFoH, while he is in seanchan with Aviendha.

Rand thinks of it in tFoH, while he is in seanchan with Aviendha.

Well, I thought we learnt of it while having a PoV from a Seanchan person (Tylee Khirgan, Suroth, Tuon, or others). How could Rand possibly learn it while tripping for the first (and the last, if we are to believe BS) time to Seanchan??

But that is off-topic anyway

Perhaps a reborn Jorlan could repair the flaw in Callandor..

Perhaps a reborn Jorlan could repair the flaw in Callandor

Then why should Rand link with two woman to use it, as is (probably) stated in the Prophecies?

But a Reborn Jorlan could find a way to lock the Dark One away, with some kind of Ter'angreal seal that neglect the True Power (Logain and his glory to come, see the point?), thus as Herid Fel stated, bringing back the wheel to were the Dark One was primarily bound and couldn't reach the Pattern.

Would be awesome!

The prophecy that apparently led Cadsuane to find that flaw: "He shall hold a blade of light in his hands, and the three shall be one" is more than a little ambiguous. For one thing, Rand currently only has one hand.. and the '3 shall be one' may refer to the three ta'veren coming together. They've already been compared to a tripod, which will fall if one of the legs is removed.

Circles of three have already been used to handle Callandor, during the cleansing, but that in itself doesn't mean it had to be that way. Also IIRC, when Rand tried to use it on his own and lost control, he was in the region where the OP had been destabilised due to the use of the Bowl of the Winds.. so that isn't diagnostic either.

I think the question is still open.

However, I like your point as well!

Well, the Ashamen have the advantage of being trained by the Forsaken.  Rand got a lot of stuff from Asmodean and Taim got a lot of stuff from Ishamael (face it, he did) as well as having Aginor hang around for a bit.  It gave them a running start that the Aes Sedai only caught up to with the bits they got from Moghidien.

Also, the Aes Sedai are fairly pathetic as a group and can't do anything, so that put them at a disadvantage too.

On the other hand, the (female) Aes Sedai were never completely wiped out and lost all of their history and had to start from scratch EXCEPT for what they picked up from the Forsaken.  I'm still a little unclear on WHY the Aes Sedai lost all of their knowledge.  If it was all because they were individually hoarding knowledge so that they could be more powerful than the other sisters...  That's kind of petty and irresponsible since the fate of the world is ultimately hanging on the preservation of those skills, although it IS the reason that's hinted at in the books (and petty/irresponsible basically describes most of the AS we've seen).

@Shazzai:

It's noted multiple times that the Trolloc Wars destroyed an incredible amount of knowledge and culture. Also remember that the "open-source" culture of the Aes Sedai came to an end when men started going insane. The Age of Legends seems to have had an information network comparable in function to our internet, but they mentioned most of the infrastructure was destroyed or abandoned in the aftermath of the War of Power (with male channelers going insane everywhere and destroying everything in sight).

Think of how much must have been lost in the Library of Alexandria. Now imagine random attacks of that size all over the world for a long time. Things get lost and destroyed. Not to mention the Aes Sedai gave a lot of their artifacts to the aiel who ended up losing or dumping it.

On the other hand, the (female) Aes Sedai were never completely wiped out and lost all of their history and had to start from scratch EXCEPT for what they picked up from the Forsaken.  I'm still a little unclear on WHY the Aes Sedai lost all of their knowledge.  If it was all because they were individually hoarding knowledge so that they could be more powerful than the other sisters...  That's kind of petty and irresponsible since the fate of the world is ultimately hanging on the preservation of those skills, although it IS the reason that's hinted at in the books (and petty/irresponsible basically describes most of the AS we've seen).

The Breaking lasted between 239-344 years. It was a continuous, rolling apocalypse that no woman who could channel survived an appreciable portion of. Since traveling, five power healing and making ter'angreal (which seems to need a Talent as well) are among the most complex weaves known, and making cuendillar takes great strength in Earth which is rare, it is clear that the women who knew how to do these these things died before being able to pass these on their apprentices.

The Breaking lasted between 239-344 years. It was a continuous, rolling apocalypse that no woman who could channel survived an appreciable portion of. Since traveling, five power healing and making ter'angreal (which seems to need a Talent as well) are among the most complex weaves known, and making cuendillar takes great strength in Earth which is rare, it is clear that the women who knew how to do these these things died before being able to pass these on their apprentices.

Except that we know the AS that ended up with the Jenn Aiel survived the Breaking.  They eventually died of old age (which means 600+).  I would be willing to guess that there were quite a few women who could channel who survived.  After all, they would have something of a leg-up on surviving compared to non-channelers and LOTS of them survived.

@miyori Why would MEN going insane end the sharing of knowledge between FEMALE AS?  The parallel to the destruction of the Great Library isn't really valid.  A channeler doesn't need an industrial base to make use of most of their knowledge.  They can share it with others just by demonstrating it.  It doesn't require a functioning infrastructure to work.

Except that we know the AS that ended up with the Jenn Aiel survived the Breaking.  They eventually died of old age (which means 600+).  I would be willing to guess that there were quite a few women who could channel who survived.  After all, they would have something of a leg-up on surviving compared to non-channelers and LOTS of them survived.

That's simply not true. The BWB says so and Jordan confirmed it in an interview. Those women who ended up with the Jenn Aiel did not survive the whole breaking.

That's simply not true. The BWB says so and Jordan confirmed it in an interview. Those women who ended up with the Jenn Aiel did not survive the whole breaking.

My mistake then.  I must have missed that bit in the BWB and the interview.  That still seems rather counterintuitive though.

Archived