DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which major cities will be destroyed in the last two books?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the time is coming when a choice will have to be made about the oaths.  I can Ishamael, Demandred, Greandal or Aran'gar being smart enough to exploit the flaw in the not use the power as a weapon, say attack the army but not the AS or use a DF army.  I can see all sorts of ways that oath could be exploited.  Best example being the rebel embassey having to nearly die to be in danger and fight the Shaido to get to Rand.  Then there's Jolien, Teslyn and Edescina who got member of the band killed while they waited for danger.

i've said it before and i'll say it again.

i firmly believe that the only way the oaths will ever disappear would be if the Rod was destroyed or vanish.

that wouldn't change anything for those who are already sworn to it but they'll be a "dying breed"

i hoped it would happen during the fights in the tower but we're not that lucky i guess

That wouldn't destroy the oaths, it would just destroy what forces the Aes Sedai to follow them. As has been said many times, the Aes Sedai are made by the Oaths. Without the oaths, they are nothing but some power-hungry witches hiding in a tower.

i firmly believe that the only way the oaths will ever disappear would be if the Rod was destroyed or vanish.

that wouldn't change anything for those who are already sworn to it but they'll be a "dying breed"

i hoped it would happen during the fights in the tower but we're not that lucky i guess

That wouldn't destroy the oaths, it would just destroy what forces the Aes Sedai to follow them. As has been said many times, the Aes Sedai are made by the Oaths. Without the oaths, they are nothing but some power-hungry witches hiding in a tower.

no without the oaths they have to work to prove themselves. The oath rod is just the easy way out. AS would be a lot more respected if they worked hard to earn the trust of people, and then people may value their opinion instead of A) ignoring it or B) being brow beat into following their commands

no without the oaths they have to work to prove themselves. The oath rod is just the easy way out. AS would be a lot more respected if they worked hard to earn the trust of people, and then people may value their opinion instead of A) ignoring it or B) being brow beat into following their commands

Most people value the opinion of Aes Sedai greatly. We have been spoiled into thinking otherwise by the PoV's of the book, in which most of the characters are not in awe of Aes Sedai anymore and see them as normal people. To most people in WoT, Aes Sedai are not commonplace, and they are still held in awe and immense respect.

AS are not held in immense respect, they are held in fear and distrust except in the borderlands, andor, and tar valon.

With fear comes respect. And in most lands they do not fear Aes Sedai, just respect them for their wisdom and fear them for their powers. Arad Doman, Tarabon, and Cairhein do not fear and distrust Aes Sedai, though the Cairheinien distrust everyone. Tear, Illian, Amadicia, and Altara I think all fear and distrust Aes Sedai, but the other nations have respect for them.

It depends on who you are talking about.

The common people, or the nobility.

The Nobility of Andor does respect AS, but the common people (Two Rivers anyone?) distrust them.

Same with all of the other lands except the Borderlands and Tar Valon itself. Although, in many the Nobility and royalty respect AS and heed their words, the general populous do not, almost every common man (barring as said before, Borders and TV itself) distrust them, so I would not say widely respected. Perhaps amongst Royalty, but not spread across the people.

Also, we must remember that the Aiel, Windfinders and Senchan (all other societies of Female Channelers) hold the AS in contempt, which does not say much for their abilities.

Fear in this case is not respect, the commoners would not interfere with AS because they could use the power on them, respect is not gained by having a big sword (channeling), it is how you use that sword that gains respect and loyalty. That is why the other societies of Channelers hold AS in contempt.

At least thats how I see it anyway.

Wise Ones get by fine without the Oaths; they are extradionarily respected in the Aiel community, even more so then Aes Sedai are in standard Randland. Then you have the Windfinders as well. I can see Aes Sedia existing without Oaths, but they will have to go a long wya to change peoples views concerning them. So it probably won't be in the lifetime of the books. Maybe a mention or two of it possibly happening by Egwene just to get the speculation going  :P

If Asha`man and Aes Sedai become one again, I can see the oaths eventually discarded.

Archived