DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Last Book was renamed?

I believe there was a time that "A Memory of Light" was going to be a series within the series. The last three books were originally going to be one called "A Memory of Light". The idea was the last three would all have it in the title, as well as something else. The last one had a place-holder name of Tarmon Gaidon while that was still the idea they were going with. Book stores objected to this so the last book will be named what RJ intended the last book to be named; A Memory of Light.

Originally the last three books were going to be titled "A Memory of Light: Gathering Clouds", "A Memory of Light: Shifting Winds", and "A Memory of Light: Tarmon Gaidon." But like Elend said, the bookstores didn't like this idea. So then the first was going to be called "The Gathering Storm", the second "Shifting Winds", and the last "Tarmon Gaidon." But Brandon and most of the fan base hated this idea. So they went ahead with "The Gathering Storm" because it had already been decided, and Brandon pushed for the third book to be named "A Memory of Light" as that was Robert Jordan's wish for the last book. Then they still needed a name for the second one and Brandon came up with "Towers of Midnight." And honestly I think "Towers of Midnight" and "A Memory of Light" are waaaaaaaaaaay better than "Shifting Winds" or "Tarmon Gaidon."

Shifting Winds and Tarmon Gaidon were only working titles. I would guess that Brandon just slapped on three titles, to help him see how to organize and focus the books. Turned out TGS worked as a real title, where the other two did not.

Wasnt there a time that the final book was going to be called Tarmon Gaidon ? I seem to recall this.  I was totally stoked by that title.  Who else wishes it was this still? and not 'Memory of LIght' or whatever it is now.

Actually RJ's intention was for the last three books to be written as one book with the title "A Memory of Light."  After BS took over it was decided that they needed to split the book to make it more manageable.  The idea then was to write the books as a trilogy under the title "A Memory of Light:  *" (where * is the individual book subtitle).  The bookstores said no to this idea so they decided to drop the "A Memory of Light" part and simply go with the subtitles as the main titles.  At that point though, the subtitles were still just working titles and they hadn't set on them for sure.  After a short while Brandon realized that "A Memory of Light" would be more fitting as a title considering that was what RJ intended in the first place.

So no, I'm glad that they decided to go with "A Memory of Light."  Actually, I felt "Tarmon Gaidon" was very unimaginative for a title anyway.

Could you imagine them trying to print it as one book. It would be three times the size of tGS, try to hold that and read it. So far I have liked the titles but they of course do not matter to me. I have never read a book that I liked and said, yeah it was great but the title just ruined it.

Originally the last three books were going to be titled "A Memory of Light: Gathering Clouds", "A Memory of Light: Shifting Winds", and "A Memory of Light: Tarmon Gaidon." But like Elend said, the bookstores didn't like this idea. So then the first was going to be called "The Gathering Storm", the second "Shifting Winds", and the last "Tarmon Gaidon." But Brandon and most of the fan base hated this idea. So they went ahead with "The Gathering Storm" because it had already been decided, and Brandon pushed for the third book to be named "A Memory of Light" as that was Robert Jordan's wish for the last book. Then they still needed a name for the second one and Brandon came up with "Towers of Midnight." And honestly I think "Towers of Midnight" and "A Memory of Light" are waaaaaaaaaaay better than "Shifting Winds" or "Tarmon Gaidon."

Agree on all counts.

I kinda also wanted to point out that it's kinda silly to say you don't like or don't think the title of a book is appropriate before you even read it.

That being said, if you take what we know/can assume about the series, it seems that even though the Last Battle will take up a LARGE portion of the last book, the "point" of the story isn't about the fight...idk my opinion.

Archived