DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mesanna/Silviana

Musenge

Since she likes to teach so much how come nobody stresses this idea?

I mean the Danelle and Tarna theories get most prominence because of mannerisms and look or clothes but when you read about Messana it goes on and on about her teaching. Surely being the Mistress of novices would be her ideal role?

Beating Egwene would be right up her ally too. Explains how she knew about Elaida's private pennance thing too.

Guest cwestervelt

Beating Egwene would be up Semirage's alley. Everyone in the Tower knew about Elaida's "private" penances.

The most likely reason no one even considers that she could be Silvianna is because Messaana hates teaching and made her "schools" a mockery of what an education system should be. She turned to the Shadow because she was told she she could be a "lowly teacher" but not a researcher. She wants to make the discoveries, not pass on the discoveries made by others. There isn'y any way she would choose to mascarade as a teacher unless she thought she could turn the Tower Novices into a "Hitler Youth" program. Even Elaida would catch on a that point.

Also the respect in her eyes as she speaks to Egwene later on doesn't really fit with Mesanna either. Mesanna respected no one. In fact Silviana seems all to... reasonable, and decent, despite the things she is doing, to be anyone but who she is. It's why i also dont think she's Black.

There's no way Mesaana is Silviana. When Mesaana is stripped of her disguise in Crossroads of Twilight, Alviarin sees her, and doesn't really recognize her. She was "tantalizingly familiar", but Alviarin "could not match that face to any name". (A Mark, p.516) Alviarin is WELL acquainted with Silviana, therefore, Mesaana is not Silviana.

Have to point out that Alviarin probably doesn't recognise Mesaana because stripped naked, she is without the ageless look. I recall Siuan and Leane and Setalle Anan would fit in with how Alviarin looks at Mesaana. Perhaps Mesaana would have changed her face slightly, but posing as an Aes Sedai, the ageless look is what she'd need.

I for some reason think she can't be Silviana. Hmm, not conclusive, but in the KoD teaparty, Mesaana spoke of Egwene being broken. Silviana knew immediately of Elaida's plan of in fact not breaking her, but simply trying to make her a novice.

Thankfully it is impossible, but the only Aes Sedai I've noticed with the habit of tapping her lip is Morvrin, and I like her for some reason. It surely cannot be, she wouldn't know of Elaida matter so quickly then.

It is only Alviarin's assumption that she is posing as a sister, and would therefore need the ageless look. We have no evidence that she is posing as Aes Sedai. She could be a servant, a cook, anything. And before the arguments begin as to whether whe would huble herself that far, remember, Moghedien posed as a servant in Tanchico, but didn't humiliate herself by actually doing the work, she just made others THINK she was doing the work. No doubt Mesaana is capable of the same.

Yea, doesn't have to be an Aes Sedai, though it would make her going about the Tower slightly easier. Quite possibly she has a small mask on, face and voice as well as strength, so having it stripped off Alviarin might not recognise her. To that ground, yes, Silviana would be quite strained, with the beatings and all. I seem to remember we should be able to puzzle out her identity. Well, don't know, Danelle seems a good suspect to me. At least she shouldn't be an Ajah head or a Sitter.

Guest cwestervelt

I'm not saying I agree entirely with the servant idea, but I see it as much more likely than her posing as a Sister. Personally, I lean towards someone connected to Elaida's building projects, like a Banker, who is in and out of the Tower regularly on business.

A servant would be the perfect hiding place though. There is a small army of them in the White Tower and no one pays any real attention to them provided they appear to be doing something. That would account for the vague recognition that Alviarin has. Since Alviarin would never consider doing so themselves, and as such could not even conceive of the possibility that a Foresaken would do so.

It is only Alviarin's assumption that she is posing as a sister, and would therefore need the ageless look. We have no evidence that she is posing as Aes Sedai. She could be a servant, a cook, anything. And before the arguments begin as to whether whe would huble herself that far, remember, Moghedien posed as a servant in Tanchico, but didn't humiliate herself by actually doing the work, she just made others THINK she was doing the work. No doubt Mesaana is capable of the same.

I don't think Mesaana is capable of lowering herself to the status of servant, Moghedien was able to because she is a coward and works to avoid notice. Further more when Alviarin summoned Mesaana in CoT Mesaana was wearing silk, and had no time to change.

You missed the point.

When Moghedien posed as a servant, she didn't actually DO the menial labor, she decieved everyone into THINKING that she was a servant. Mesaana is perfectly capable of doing the same thing, and therefore wearing silk whenever she wants to. Even while posing .... posing, mind ... as a servant. I agree, though, that she's not likely to be actually emptying chamber pots.

Asan'gar has also posed as a secretary to Delana; it's not beyond Forsaken to hide as someone they are not.

Still, I don't think the Forsaken would be able to impersonate a sister, as they would have to know so much of their life history and their personality. A lot of trouble, when there are easier ways to disguise yourself.

I doubt any of the Aes Sedai would believe it if a person pops out of nowhere and says, "Hey guys, I know you haven't heard of me, but I'm an Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah. I'm going to return to the Tower now."

Well .... I hate to knock holes in a theory I subscribe to, but there are a fair number of Sisters no one is familiar with in the Tower. Thats one of the problems Seaine, Pevara, and co. face hunting the Black Ajah. She COULD be posing as a Sister (ie it's within her skill range) I just think it's much more likely shes posing in some other capacity. And I feel sure she's not posing as Silviana, if she IS posing as a Sister.

Actually what i think it is merely that she chose a sister who looks something like her to impersonate. Given the nature of Illusion, and how weak and easily broken it is, it would make a lot of sense for her to do this. It's been said many times that the less the illusion changes, the stronger it is, and there is precedent with the Forsaken doing this. When Moghedian became a washer-woman, she just weathered her face up a bit.

It would explain Alviarin's reactions too... its unlikely Alviarin would recognize a servant, but an Aes Sedai who bore resembelence to Mesana's true appearence? Much more likely.

Archived