DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT cover art, blurb and opening paragraph

Werthead

I know it was meant to be one book and it was broken down to three, but is it just me or does there seem to be a lot left to do and a lot just jammed into the final two books? I just hope it isn't written in a way that you can tell we're jamming too much info into it. The other books had a good pace and moved along at a good rate, it just seems that the tone is changing with the last books looming. I know that TG is quickly approaching, but I always thought there would be more set up for it, where the characters are scattered and rushed but the book stills flows, and then I figured the TG itself would be a bigger deal after the 11 (13) book build up. Maybe if the last book is only TG but I don't know that they can pull together the loose ends of all the story lines in one or one and a half books without it feeling terribly rushed.

Sorry I know this probably isn't the place for that comment, as its not on the topic of the thread, but it came to me when I was reading it so poke me with a stick in the right direction for me to move this, or reply if you want to.

That's the reason they split AMoL into 3 books.  Sanderson's blog post on this split mentioned that otherwise they'd be moving from climax to climax if it was one volume, without any sense of pacing.  Sanderson has also indicated that the last book will be solely devoted to Tarmon Gaidon. 

Having said that, yes there's still a lot to cover prior to the Last Battle.  Mat alone has a LOT to do in ToM.  Perrin has a decent amount to do as well, and Lan and Aviendha should have a good amount of onstage time as well.  The Seanchan and Black Tower plots will also take up a good chunk of the book as well.  It is indeed a lot to cover, plus we'll see a bit of Rand, Egwene and the Forsaken.  I wonder if this will rival TSR and LoC for highest word count in the series.

I think KoD started giving a sense of urgency that the Last Battle is coming, so this urgency has been building since then.  I think the pacing will be fine leading into AMoL.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first line in my post was saying that I know Brandon already divided what was suposed to be one book into three, I am just stating that I hope it is enough to get everything done properly and have loose ends tied up without rushing things to fast. I will have to wait and see. I don't know if RJ could have done it himself in 3 and had it not seemed rushed....though RJ could do amazing things!

I hear you, Kathleen.  I think that invariably things will seem and sound rushed.  Part of that is the looming approach of the Last Battle, and part of that is the sheer number of events that need to happen just leading up to the Last Battle.  I think the pacing has been fine the last two books, but I can't wait to see how it will play out in ToM.

I think that final cover is actually one of the better in the series.  I love it because it depicts a moment I have been waiting 7 books for.  Tarmon Gaidon will be anti-climatic compared to the Moiraine rescue mission.

I for one think the last book seemed a bit hectic at times and I'm not saying thats BS's fault, there just a lot to get through. I honestly think the could of used another book but they couldn't do that as there would be too much of an uproar.

Its Thom with the knife in the picture kinda looks like the guy off of crossroads I think I can see an bit of white tache but I'm not sure if that is Noal at all. Also what is the deal with the staff, does the head of it look like a snake to anyone. Also I bet Mat has hand greanades in the bag or explosives made by Aludra.

By the by, wheres Mat's medallion? Could it be that he has lost it or gave a lend of it to someone else.

I give up.  It's definitely Noal.  There is no way Sweet is so bad that Talmanes' being a few years older than Mat could translate into THAT old..... I think.

Oh no :(  I wonder how Dida will ignore the cover for his theory, can't wait.

Why am I, a subject of conversion here? 

HAHAH obviously it's Valan Luca and his "juggling fire" power that is needed for Matt to survive the ToG as the third man. Just wait until they find out Lanfear isn't Cyndane. Another amazing theory   ;D

Can't wait til we find out Jimmy Hoffa's been in the Tower of Ghenjei this whole time trying to woo Moirane.

I am just stating that I hope it is enough to get everything done properly and have loose ends tied up without rushing things to fast.

I've had a similar feeling since about Winter's Heart, I guess. But then, if you think about it, the whole story is so rich in major and minor characters and storylines, it continually amazes me how one can keep it coherent at all! True, there are many things that I would have liked to read more of, but in the end I'm happy with how it's progressed so far. I am sure that's how it is going to be after AMoL, and I am equally sure that I am going to miss the 10,000 pages that could have been written but weren't, if you know what I mean. :)

Can't wait til we find out Jimmy Hoffa's been in the Tower of Ghenjei this whole time trying to woo Moirane.

And we thought Hoffa was in one of the end zones at Giants Stadium all this time. Next thing you'll be telling us is that there's a third Aielman on the grassy knoll!

The first line in my post was saying that I know Brandon already divided what was suposed to be one book into three, I am just stating that I hope it is enough to get everything done properly and have loose ends tied up without rushing things to fast. I will have to wait and see. I don't know if RJ could have done it himself in 3 and had it not seemed rushed....though RJ could do amazing things!

Agreed, I'm stilling wondering how Brandon is going to piece everything to together in the next two books. One huge climax I'm unsure of is, whether or not Rand al'Thor will die in Towers of Midnight or not, in the Blasted Lands.  I'm uncertain if there is enough space available to do justice to the story arcs of Perrin, Mat, Elayne, Lan & Borderlanders, Loial, Aviendha, Taim & Egwene, Padan Fain Mordeth, Fortuona & Deathwatch Guard & Beslan versus Galgan & Suroth & one faction of Seekers, four Aiel Clan Chiefs in Cairhien, five Aiel Clan Chiefs in Illian, the remaining Forsaken, and learn that Rand has died in the Pit of Doom.  Even the minor characters of Morgase, Liandrin, Amathera, Gholam each have a role to play in the next book, before Rand dies I believe,; just difficult to see how Brandon Sanderson might pack his death into Towers of Midnight.

If the Tower of Ghenjei story arc is one climax in the next book, what do you all believe is going to be the second climax of the Towers of Midnight?   

Yeah I don't think Moriane staff is the only one with a knob carved like leaves at the end of it. It's most likely just a different stick especially since the one Moraine did have became a burnt chard rubbish that she discarded.

Good memory. Then the carved leaves must have some significance because that is too similar for coincidence. I still don't buy that there are supposed to be cheesy stone inlays on the Tower of Ghenjei.

If the Tower of Ghenjei story arc is one climax in the next book, what do you all believe is going to be the second climax of the Towers of Midnight?    

Presuming that the two main characters of ToM are going to be Mat and Perrin (just as Rand and Egwene were the two main characters of tGS) then I'd say the other climax will have to do with Perrin. Maybe it will be the second time Perrin needs to be there for Rand? Or else I'd say Perrin will finally come to peace with his wolf side (gaining an enlightenment similar to Rand's character development in Veins of Gold) and maybe he'll finally take out Slayer!

I'm actually really hoping that ToM ends with a huge cliffhanger. I think this would be the absolute coolest way to lead into the last book in the series. Maybe someone dies, or all hope seems lost, or something, but I really want some ridiculous cliffhanger that pisses off most of the fan base as they wait for the last book - it would be epic.  :D

EDIT: I just saw on Facebook (where Brandon has been posting contest winner names as he includes them in the book) that for one of them he said "Tai'shar Malkier!" indicating that this person's name was used for a Malkieri. I think this is really good evidence that we'll definitely get to see Lan and the army gathering around him (thanks to Nynaeve  ;)) in the next book.

It isn't perfect but, looking at the full picture, I kinda think this may be the best cover of the series. Mat is consistent from cover to cover IIRC, which is always good. Need to see it in person but not bad, compared to the other covers.

Presuming that the two main characters of ToM are going to be Mat and Perrin (just as Rand and Egwene were the two main characters of tGS) then I'd say the other climax will have to do with Perrin. Maybe it will be the second time Perrin needs to be there for Rand? Or else I'd say Perrin will finally come to peace with his wolf side (gaining an enlightenment similar to Rand's character development in Veins of Gold) and maybe he'll finally take out Slayer!

That is a good direction for the story arc and for the second climax to go towards I think too.  Particular the part about Perrin needing to be there for Rand, or something very very bad will happen to Rand al'Thor with the possibility of both Egwene and Elayne in trouble in Caemlyn too.  There is a bunch of foretellings visions of the future by Min, which specific mention Elayne, Rand being in danger in the distant future.  I suspect if these foretellings are going to occur in this series, they are going to have to occur within the Towers of Midnight book.    

There is also a good chance that Perrin's character will meet up again with the Seanchan and/or Tylee, as Fortuona now knows that Lord Perrin of Two Rivers operated independently of the Dragon Reborn when agreeing to give over hundreds of channeling Shiado Wise Ones to Tylee's Seanchan sul'dam earlier.  

I'm actually really hoping that ToM ends with a huge cliffhanger. I think this would be the absolute coolest way to lead into the last book in the series. Maybe someone dies, or all hope seems lost, or something, but I really want some ridiculous cliffhanger that pisses off most of the fan base as they wait for the last book - it would be epic.  :D

Chuckles, I suspect your going to get your wish of a truly ridiculous cliffhanger in TofM.  ;D  One would think Robert Jordan had a cliffhanger ending in mind when he began this series, with the Eye of the World book.  

EDIT: I just saw on Facebook (where Brandon has been posting contest winner names as he includes them in the book) that for one of them he said "Tai'shar Malkier!" indicating that this person's name was used for a Malkieri. I think this is really good evidence that we'll definitely get to see Lan and the army gathering around him (thanks to Nynaeve  ;)) in the next book.

Wonder if Lan has made it to Shienar yet? Or is close to the "Shadow's Lance" instead, which is on the border of Kandor and Arafel?

Wonder if Lan has made it to Shienar yet? Or is close to the "Shadow's Lance" instead, which is on the border of Kandor and Arafel?

It's been one month right? So he should definitely be about halfway there, and thus close to the Shadow's Lance. Arafel means cloud of darkness in Hebrew IIRC so something bad is probably gonna go down there.

It's been one month right? So he should definitely be about halfway there, and thus close to the Shadow's Lance. Arafel means cloud of darkness in Hebrew IIRC so something bad is probably gonna go down there.

he is Lan, so I assume he might even be further than that.

Uh, Steve's calendar states that Lan was dropped off by Nynaeve in Saldaea at World's End on Day 745, Aine-23, April 07 meanwhile the estimated date of the last scene in 'The Gathering Storm' with Egwene & Silviana in the White Tower was on Day 802, Saven-23, June 02.   That is 57 days of difference total, however there is some amount disjuncture in timing between Lan's story arc and Egwene's at this point.  

What is the definition of a month of time, in the Wheel of Time world?

Source: The World of Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time by Teresa Patterson & Robert Jordan

The Farede Calendar sets 10 days to the week, 28 days to the month, and 13 months to the year. The months are: Taisham, Jumara, Saban, Aine, Adar, Saven, Amadaine, Tammaz, Maigdhal, Choren, Shaldine, Nesan, and Danu.

Several major feastdays celebrated in every nation from the Aryth Ocean to the Spine of the World are not part of any month. Sunday, the longest day of the year, comes annually in Amadaine, but is not a day of that month. The Feast of Thanksgiving is celebrated only once every four years, at the spring equinox, and the Feast of All Souls’ Salvation (also called All Souls’ Day) is marked only once every ten years, at the autumn equinox.

Steve's calendar seems to have omitted some holidays from his guide, based on what I've seen in comparison to what is listed within the BWB for holidays. Then there is the problem that Brandon did not use the night day and the phrase of moon to mark time, as Robert Jordan did in books prior to the 'The Gathering Storm'.

Has it been a month since we last saw Lan?   ???

Maybe.

It is going to be up in the air, as Brandon could start Lan's point of view from almost anywhere in the Borderlands, at anytime in TofM book.  Though I do expect an action scene, when we finally do see Lan again.    

On the origin, possible meanings of the nation of Arafel and its cities:

Source: [/i]Linda at 13thDepository.blogspot.com published in the year 2001[/i]

Arafel

Two towns with similar names are Asrafel, in Morocco and Arafali, in Eritrea. Arafel is a Hebrew word meaning 'fog' or 'cloud darkness' used regarding the apocalypse. In Frank Herbert's Dune series, the 'cloud darkness' at the end of the world, the prophesised destruction of mankind, was called Arafel. Note that the Arafel monarch sits on the Throne of Clouds. This is yet another name alluding to desperate battles in the Borderlands at Tarmon Gai'don.

Jakanda: Jakanda was probably derived from Jakanka, a town in Bolivia and Jacaranda, a town in Brazil.

Shol Arbela: Shol is a town in Sudan and Pakistan. It may also refer to sheol, meaning 'grave', 'pit' or 'abyss' and a link with or threat from Shayol Ghul (see below). Arbela (see right) was an ancient Assyrian town which was conquered by the Babylonians and then the Persians. It was the site of the Battle of Arbela between the forces of Alexander the Great and Darius III of Persia in October 331BC. Darius had collected an enormous army, including Iranian heavy cavalry and many chariots with knives protruding from the wheels. The Persians cleared a level plain near Arbela, east of the Tigris River. The Persian cavalry outflanked Alexander's left and captured his camp. But, with a charge which he led himself, Alexander routed Darius, and the Persian Army retreated to the east. It is considered on of the most decisive battles in history. It sounds like a rather nasty battle with Shadowspawn is heading Shol Arbela's way.

Tifan's Well: Tifan is a town in Morocco.

he is Lan, so I assume he might even be further than that.

Armies move slower than Warders.

I think the second Climax will be the 2nd Bad thing to Happen to Rand that Perrin has to be there for. Timing at the end of tGS suggests that Perrin will be there with Rand now at the end of ToM. I suspect Rand will return from his Mountain Top High and get himself into trouble somehow.

TGS Chapter 31 - Nyn talking to Rand says Lan will take 2-3 more months to reach Tarwin's Gap.

That variable could be altered if channelers decide to help out Lan.  If a group of 13 linked channelers could move Egwene's Saidar Aes Sedai Army from Murandy to Tar Valon, the same could be done for Lan's army or armies.

As it is, my best guess is that Lan's somewhere in Kandor now as we once read about him in 'New Spring: the novel'  

Archived