DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What happened to Moraine ?

adoroll

It has been about a 1 and half years since I read the series and now I am re-reading them. Can anyone give a run down on what all happened to Moraine.

I seem to remember her fighting Lanfear but I don't remember what happened. Did she use balefire like on Be'lal. I also remember her writing a letter to Thom mabye. What exactly was that place she dissappeared to after Lanfear.

Please I would appreciate anything.

Do you want, like, a complete run-down or just the end? 

Towards the end, she went into the Rings of Rhuidean where she foresaw her own "death".  She wrote a letter to Rand to be opened afterwords about general Dragon Reborn stuff and another one to Thom explaining that she wasn't actually dead as everyone thought but help captive in some way in Finnland (She "died" by tackling Lanfear through a ter'angreal that leads to Finnland which is the name given to the place where the Ael-finn and Eel-finn live.  This happened just outside Carhien, in the 5th book, Fire of Heavens, to save Rand from Lanfear who was about to kill him and then probably others.)

She told Thom in that letter that he, Mat, and one other person could come and rescue her.  Mat deduced that the place to do this would be at The Tower of Ghenjei.  I'm assuming the rescue will take place in the upcoming book.

And by the way, yes, she did balefire Be'lal.

save Rand from Lanfear who was about to kill him and then probably others.

I thought Lanfear was busy nuking a bunch of Maidens and whatnot which was how Moiraine was able to tackle her through the doorway.

I still cannot figure out who in the world that third person will be to go into the tower with Matt and Thom.  But I do know that she is my favorite character in the series and cannot wait to see what impact she has later.

save Rand from Lanfear who was about to kill him and then probably others.

I thought Lanfear was busy nuking a bunch of Maidens and whatnot which was how Moiraine was able to tackle her through the doorway.

I still cannot figure out who in the world that third person will be to go into the tower with Matt and Thom.  But I do know that she is my favorite character in the series and cannot wait to see what impact she has later.

Lanfear was using the One Power to kill both Rand and Aviendha after she found out that Rand had some good times in the snow. The rage and jealousy of Lanfear gave Moiraine the opportunity to tackle her through the door.

Lanfear attacked Egwene too, in fact she was the worst hurt from what I remember.

I wondered why Lan thinks Moiraine dead, i.e. why was the transfer of the bond triggered, without her death?

Possible spoilers ahead, but purely unintentional, since I'm just speculating.

One possibility I though of was that the destruction of the doorway ter'angreal snapped the link. That would only truly work if the bond was actually a kind of channel, like a spiritual line, if you will, between two people. I.e, no portal to link the two worlds=nothing for the link to reach through. I think that's too simplistic though,  and it's more like a kind of synchronised, web (probably not the right word)in each person's brain.

The second possibility which I think is probably what most people came to: somehow in the battle Moiraine was stilled.

Third: Moiraine intentionally gave up her part of the bond. I doubt this though, as I'm sure it doesn't work like that.

the third response it much more likely be at my opinion , or perhaps the whole fact of been in an another world cut the bound like a death ?

I don't think the Dark One will or could heal stilling the one power is the thing of the creator after all , he just gave an another body to Lanfear

You must be close to the Warder in order to release the bond.

Not to mention the fact that Lan was not released, the bond was broken, otherwise it would not have been transferred to Myrelle.

Think about this for a moment: If Moiraine and lanfear had not been Stilled, how the Pit of Doom could the finns hold them captive? We have seen Rand fend them of with his little sword of fire, surely both Moiraine and Lanfear would have a lot more weaves up their sleeves.

As for Healing Stilling, why bring the DO into the mix? We know there were BA members in Salidar, would be quite easy for one of them to pick up Nynaeves weave, be transported by Aran'gar to SG, Heal Cyndane, and be returned home.

My personal pet theory on this is that in some way Moiraine was somehow stilled going through the doorway, or maybe by Lanfear, but that she requested (of the finns) to be equal in power to Lanfear so that she could fight her on even terms.  That could have given her back the ability to channel.  But, instead of just making her stronger in the Power, the finns took away some of Lanfeaar's power and gave it to Moiraine.  I'm really hoping we see what happened in the next book!

General consensus seems to explain that with stilling.

It is mentioned in Egwene's accepted test that the Dark One might be able to heal stilling (dubious, of course), and can also somewhat explain Lanfear's loss of power as Cyndane, though this is entirely speculation.

Im assuming that since the Dark One can reach across death itself, grab a soul, put it into a new body with all memories of its past life intact and create a Half-Man so powerful it can make the very source disappear from the senses of whoever he wants to, he can heal stilling as well since mere mortals can heal Stilling

Her loss of power might be a punishment for her failure and going against his will, as well as being bound to Moridin.

I still cannot figure out who in the world that third person will be to go into the tower with Matt and Thom. 

It seems pretty obvious that the third person will be Noal (who is actually Jain Farstrider).

Hah, glad im not the only one who thinks Noal is Jain Farstrider.

My personal pet theory on this is that in some way Moiraine was somehow stilled going through the doorway, or maybe by Lanfear, but that she requested (of the finns) to be equal in power to Lanfear so that she could fight her on even terms.  That could have given her back the ability to channel.  But, instead of just making her stronger in the Power, the finns took away some of Lanfeaar's power and gave it to Moiraine.  I'm really hoping we see what happened in the next book!

Iffy. But possible, it would explain everything.

Well, she and Rand were locked in a high tense OP battle.

And yeah, I agree, she's awesome, she needs to be back! :D

She will be back. According to Min, she had a viewing of Moiraine (cant remember exactly what) and when she vanished into the doorway she hadnt completed it. I recall in one of the books Min is reminding herself that ever her viewings can be wrong because she thought Moiraine died without completing her viewing. So Moiriane still has something important enough to do that Min remembered her viewing from so long ago, so she HAS to come back :p

Archived