DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nominate Your Soundtrack Composers for "It's A Knockout"!!!

Corki

The Band of the Red Hand is taking a two month break from our search for our "Dream Band". And as a result, we will be focusing on Soundtrack Music for April. This thread allows you to nominate your Soundtrack composers to go into the "It's A Knockout" contest to win the title of the Band's and DM's Favourite Soundtrack Composer. And below is what you need to do!

Between now and WEDNESDAY 14TH APRIL 2010 FRIDAY 16TH APRIL 2010, nominate the composer you want to see try and win the contest. Follow the simple proforma below to get a nomination in. Name your Composer, explain why you have nominated them, and provide a YouTube clip (or similar) of their skill in the world of soundtracks.

[u][b]Composer's Name:[/b][/u] 
[u][b]Reason for Nomination:[/b][/u] 
[u][b]YouTube (or similar link):[/b][/u] 

You can nominate more than one composer. Any nomination that is seconded, i.e. Krak suggests Composer X and Farcrie agrees with the nomination, automatically qualifies for a place in the "It's A Knockout" contest. Otherwise, it will be done on a first come, first served basis. If there are any gaps at the end of the nomination period, I will fill in the gaps.

PLEASE NOTE: I am looking for a minimum of 8 nominations, and a maximum of 16.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

EDIT from Jea: Corki, how DARE you forget the d in soundtrack? What were you thinking?! Next time, please at least proofread the title! Please! END EDIT

EDIT from Jea: Corki, how DARE you forget the d in soundtrack? What were you thinking?! Next time, please at least proofread the title! Please! END EDIT

;D

Nominated Composers

Seconded (and with an automatic place in the "It's A Knockout" contest)

1. Howard Shore

2. Hans Zimmer

3. John Williams

4. Ennio Morricone

5. John Ottman

6. Basil Poledouris

Nominated

1. James Horner

2. Zbigniew Preisner

Added by Corki

1. Craig Armstrong

2. David Arnold

3. Dario Marianelli

4. Max Steiner

5. Alan Silvestri

6. Elmer Bernstein

7. John Carpenter

8. Thomas Newman

Composer's Name: Howard Shore

Reason for Nomination: I think a better question would be, what reason isn't there to nominate him.  Howard Shore came along at a time soundtrack composition was dominated by James Horner and John Williams.  Shore was little known but had a strong cult following.  With the LotR soundtracks, he blew away the critics and fans alike and created the Soundtrack Golden Age.  We still are in this Golden Age of Scores with the likes of Hanz Zimmer, Patrick Doyle, Harry Gregson-Wiliams, Ilan Eshkeri, Alexandre Desplate, and many more.  Sure, Morricone was the first to popularize soundtracks and bring them critical acclaim, but Shore followed up and (in my opinion) bested Morricone.  He is the best soundtrack composer out there today and is incredible!

YouTube (or similar link):Concerning Hobbits,

, The Treason of Isengard

seconded!!!! ;D (you tube just isnt working at all now, so appologies for a lack of links...)

Composer's Name: James Horner

Reason for Nomination: He has composed most of my favourite soundtrack music, and even though he uses many of the same themes throughout different scores, he is awesome!!

YouTube (or similar link):

Composer's Name: Hans Zimmer

Reason for Nomination: I really dont think this needs any explaination...gladiator says it all!! in my opinion, possibly the most successful soundtrack of all time!!

Composer's Name: Zbigniew Preisner

Reason for Nomination: Mostly known for his work with Krzysztof Kieslowski, which resulted in some of the finest and most emotional pieces of music you can find in the film industry. Worth noting is that Preisner is completely autodidact, he learned to write music by sitting at home studying his favourite composers, Paganini and Sibelius being two you can hear clear influences from in his works. His style is quite unique, and far from the hollywood-mainstream.

;D

Don't give me that cheeky cheesy grin mister! You did it on both threads! Both!

Anyways, I second Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer

Don't be lazy!  :P

Anyway, I am extending the deadline until Friday 16th April as I am away for the next 2 days on an audit, which I forgot about when setting the deadlines. I also have no internet access. Everything will be sorted out on the Friday evening when I get in.

Composer's Name: John Williams

Reason for Nomination: Because Corki had already taken Howard Shaw, lol. Plus John Williams has some of the best known soundtracks arouns, namely Start Wars, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter. Those tunes we can never get out of our heads. But not forgetting ET, Born on the Fourth of July, JFK, Jurassic Park and Munich

I can not believe noone has nominated the Master yet...

Composer's Name: Ennio Morricone

Reason for Nomination: Perhaps the greatest soundtrack composer of all times, definitly the most influental. He has composed and arranged scores for over 500 movies. He is still most famous for his work with Sergio Leone, in movies like A Fistful Of Dollars, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, Once Upon A Time In The West, etc.

While classicaly trained, and preferring a full orchestra, budget restrictions on his first work with Leone forced him to find other solutions, something that more or less revolutionalised how soundtracks were written.

His impact reaches far outside movies, bands/artists like Muse, Erasure, The Orb, Prodigy, Mr. Bungle, Jay Z etc have all used Morricones work, either through samples or by making covers. Morrissey had him writing the strings for his song Dear God Plesae Help Me.

YouTube (or similar link): The Good, The Bad, The Ugly Theme,

I second John William and Ennio Morricone

Composer's Name: John Ottman

Reason for Nomination: He did the track for Superman Returns, and I absolutely love it. The music he creates portrays emotions accurately and helps put the watcher in to the characters, whether or not they are watching the film. He also did work for Fantastic Four, X-Men 2, and many others. Even more impressive, he also directs and edits screenplays along with writing scores for these films. And as far as I can remember, you can't tall it's the same composer between the different movies!

YouTube (or similar link):Silver Sailor Superman Returns

Composer's Name: Basil Poledouris

Reason for Nomination: He did the soundtracks for plenty of movies, the most famous include: Robocop, The Hunt For The Red October, Conan The Destroyer, Conan The Barbarian, Return To The Blue Lagoon, Flight Of The Intruder and Red Dawn. Poledouris became renowned for his powerfully epic style of orchestral composition (often with choir) and his intricate thematic designs.

The Hunt For The Red October

Conan The Barbarian

Robocop:

Final listing is as follows:

Seconded (and with an automatic place in the "It's A Knockout" contest)

1. Howard Shore

2. Hans Zimmer

3. John Williams

4. Ennio Morricone

5. John Ottman

6. Basil Poledouris

Nominated

1. James Horner

2. Zbigniew Preisner

Added by Corki

1. Craig Armstrong

2. David Arnold