• Notable Quotables
    • Recommended Reading etc
    • Nyna says something funny
    • Puzzles
    • Upcoming events (none this month)
    • Meet the ... (none this month)

headbanner.png

March 2010 Edition

This month, join us LIVE at the Empy Awards! That’s right, they’re here, they’re happening, they’re LIVE on DM! Who won what? Who WORE what? Who was too disappointed to be nice? And WHO was too SLOSHED to remember receiving the awards? Join our intrepid Gossip Columnist as she takes you LIVE to the scene!

Hello, and Welcome to the Gossip Corner, your hip-happening spot for all the carryings on of the White Tower members! This month, we’re LIVE at the Empy’s as we bring you the coverage from the DM Awards board on the results. Here’s the scoop!

If you didn’t already know, the Empy’s are DM’s awards, chosen by popular vote. There are tons of categories for folks from all over the boards.- from ‘Most Thought Provoking Thread’ to ‘Funniest Spammer’ and plenty of others! Yeah, yeah, who won, you ask? Well, read on, MacDuff! (want to read the threads yourself? Here they are!)

First of all, major props to Kathana for her ummm… superb? Hosting abilities this year. Hey, she was At LEAST as good as Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin! Very stirring, Kathana. Thank you.

The awards ceremony is a rousing success as usual!

Here’s the rundown:

Is it any surprise that the Nyn’s presentation of  Best RP Group was one of the most amusing? Nope, we didn’t think so either. To have a laugh, and possibly imbibe a bit, visit them HERE.

She may be new(ish) but she sure is making a stir! To congratulate Little Miss, aka Limi for her win as Best Siggie Artist, go HERE. She’s sure to give out some love!

In what we are coming to recognize as typical Barm form, Barm is dragging out his presentation of Funniest Poster as long as possible. Stay tuned to find out who won HERE.

The most embarrassing moment of the night comes to us in the form of Ladria’s Most Amusing Spammer presentation. All I have to say is, poor Adella. She and her tainty BT bonded , Ed, will be feeling the effects of that much cheap liquor for several days yet! Find out if they won or lost HERE

The biggest word fumble of the night was courtesy of Kivam, who was presenting the Master Debater  award. Our ever appropriate MotherDucker said it all when she said, and I quote:

I LOL'ed.  :D

Go find out what happened HERE

There was scandal in the Most Impressive RP writer presentation, when Taymist admitted to bribing the admins for her nomination. To see what happened, and who the winner was, (even if it was by default) go HERE

Quibbly proved to be a surprisingly humorous presenter with the Funniest Rper Award. And no worries, there were no repeats of last year with him! Well, not very much, anyway. To see what went wrong and who won, go HERE

The mood changed when the Best Mafia Leader Presentation began. Suddenly, Cigar smoke filled the air. The room was full of violin music and Italian accents. Presenter Lily did her best to keep the mood bright, but everyone knows she’s scum, so that didn’t last long. To see whether the town got a lynch, go HERE.

Krak may have been a bit paranoid with his presentation of Best Topic Starter, but we on the GC staff aren’t sure. There may have been a game afoot… Go HERE to find out! And this one, well, it is BEYOND possible that it ties for most embarrassing moment, for multiple people.

It may be wise to whisper around our dearest MotherDucker for a few days, unless the Yellows volunteer their services.  She was the first presenter of the night, and well, it was a bit early for the state she was in!

To see the spectacle, and find out who won Best RP Thread, go HERE

A very nice job was done by Pete in his first Presentation as Best WoT Discussion Thread. That is to say, a very nice job, except for the part where he admitted to being the Scummiest Scum bag in WoT and DM history. To find out who he admitted to killing, goHERE. .

One of our very own WT threads was nominated for Funniest Thread. To see whether Kathana: The Game won, and whether or not Minuet was in costume, click HERE..

Graendal’s favorite, that little compulsion monkey, presented the Award for Most Thought Provoking Thread. (Ironic, that, since she doesn’t have any of her own thoughts anymore…) To find out whether fantasy will trump both Homosexuality AND God, click HERE..

The awkward award (ha that’s funny to type) of the evening went to Ed2funy during his Presentation of  Best WoT geek. To see why, and who takes home this most coveted award, click HERE

The Red and Tainty Talya presented the Award for Most Outstanding Community Member. Over half of the nominees were WT members! To find out if one of them won, and what Talya’s favorite flavor is, go HERE.

This next award was much fought over and much wanted. After all, who DOESN’T want to be a Team Jordan Troll? To see whther the Troll nominees fought fair, and whether presenter Luckers got out alive, go url=http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,55564.0.html]HERE[/url]

Ah, the staff. Where would we be without them, therefore, the next award is Much deserved! The award for  Best RP Staff went to a HIGHLY deserving individual this year. To see who it was, go HERE

There was mass confusion about the time change in the Presentation for Best Moderator. Did they get it straightened out? Did the award get announced? Go HERE and find out!!

Lastly, it was a very touching moment when the award for Best Org Leader was announced. Having layed down her mantle, at least for the time being, we were thrilled that the populace was willing to give out this award posthumously. Go HERE to see who won.

Charis "Jr"

Special Editor

Editor in Chief: Elgee

Editors: Wayward_Fool (aka Boopsy) and Claireducky

Writers: Charis "Jr.", Torrie Sedai, Marta, Boopsy, Little Miss, Claireducky, MC & Kara_J

gossipcorner.png

by Charis "Jr." and Marta Sedai

This month, Gossip Corner were LIVE at the Empy Awards! We hope you caught our report above.

Before we go, though, here’s Marta to help with this month’s new bondings and bonding anniversaries! Congratulations and Happy Anniversary, and many returns on the day!!

There were four new sets of Sou’vra bonds this month!

Nynaeve of the Yellow, and Kara_J of the Green publicly declared their love for each other and bonded

Tynaal of the Red and Wolfie, Accepted, bonded and vowed to cause terror to the denizens of the Tower

Dah’mir and Naenn, both of the Yellow, bonded and declared their love for each other and Mr. Rogers.

Lastly, Limilove, and, myself, Charis Jr, became sisters and Partners in Crime forever. We are both Accepteds of the Green Ajah.

April brings better weather in most parts of the world, and butterflies in your stomach. The sun starts shining, and you feel blessed and get the energy to do everything. You are more open to people, and start making connections that might come out to be something beautiful. Some bond in ways people can’t imagine, and here in the WT we have people who are celebrating their Bonding Anniversaries this very month. I wish to congratulate you all and remind you to love each other this month just a little bit more than every other…

Souvra

April 1, 2007  Tigara and Moose  sword brothers        http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,13544.0.html

April 9, 2009    Minuet and Rasheta Ardashir 

April 17, 2007  Kara J and Talya                                    http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,14321.0.html

April 23, 2008  Kara J and Mystica                                http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,32248.0.html

April 24, 2009  Taya and Querida Farene                      http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,42630.0.html

Warder

April 4, 2007    Taymist and 12th Regiment                    http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,13690.0.html

April 10, 2008  mmeeshal and DSage                            http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,29743.0.html

April 11, 2007  Arya Ellesmera and Do'vran                  http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,14018.0.html

-GC out-

whisperhole.png

by Charis Jr

Ahhh, youth. You surely remember what it was like being a new member at the WT. The giddiness, the spam, the new friends, the rampant flirting. Check out the Whispering Hole for the latest from the world of the Dormitories, as well as who's been raised this month!

Hello honored Aes Sedai, Deadly Warders, bouncing aspirants, friends, guests, and those pesky Darkfriends we JUST can’t figure out how to get rid of… Welcome to another edition of the Whispering Hole! The month of March brought us a MOUNTAIN of new Aspies and raisings, so without any further ado…

Please give a warm WT welcome to new novices Tigraine, Naked~Frog, Som1else, Pankhuri, Karasien, Amadine, Kati, Theyalynn Rosewolf, Reyn, Maiden_Sedai, Warrior Semirhage and Catihenda Myerin! That’s right, there were 12 new novices this month!

Also, please welcome three new Algai! When you see them, remember to welcome Talmanes, BaLefireP and ThorkinBarrimore!

So, Blues, get out your blueberries! Reds, bring on the Snugglebites! Browns, grab some brownies! Greens, get the tea and Ice Cream! Yellows, ready the floorboard! Grays, bring Cairos’ Cupcakes! Whites bring out the fuzzy socks! Just no fighting over them, please! There’s plenty of them to get to know!!

On the raising side of the hall, the Aspies have been busy! Here we go:

Four Algai were raised Manshima this month: Let’s give a warm round of applause to Ed2funy, Al Jenn Mael, Millon and meercatman!

Next up, there are three new Accepteds this month. Please help me in congratulating Little Miss, Marta Sedai and Seafolk Sedai!

Thirdly, we have a new full sister this month! Congratulations to Mirshann and the Gray’s! Welcome home!

Next up on the Raising side, Little Miss and myself have both been accepted by the Green Ajah. Congratulations, Limilove!

Finally, the Me’Arearth discipline has a new head, and we have a new Sword Commander! Congratulations, Corki!

And that’s the update from the Aspie quarters!  Tune in to Whispering Hole next month for the very latest!

discupdate.png

by Torrie Sedai

Imagine the White Tower, with Warders wielding the One Power. Would they be dedicated enough to handle the flowing weaves or would the Tower be overrun by fire, water, air, earth and spirit?

What if our Warders could channel? Would these over-enthusiastic men be able to handle their weaves? Would the Green Ajah go just a step too far with their training and have the whole place burned down? Would the Reds have to worry about having their dorms turned into a pool? Would the Browns have to worry about their books being tossed in the air repeatedly?

According to Al Jenn, in order for the Warders to train using the One Power, there would be some throwing and touching involved. “We would throw ourselves at it just like we have to learn how to effectively use our swords. “ Now, I am a firm believer in throwing Warders at things, but to throw themselves at the source seems a little excessive.

Al Jenn also told us “We would repeatedly touch the source learning when to touch it gently and softly.” It sounds like he is going in the right direction with this, but in true Al Jenn style, he makes it sound so dirty.

So would our Warders be able to handle their weaves? At this time it is too early to tell. More study and more experiments need to be performed, but at least we can say Al Jenn is up to the challenge. Now, we just need a safe room…

casefiles.png

by Boopsy, Charis "Jr.", and Little Miss

QUICK! Who's the Mad Hatter Admin of DM? Who's the cookiest Kook of them all? WHO IS ASMO'S KILLER?! This month, follow me, CJ, as I interiew the shadowy DM figure known as Emperor...

Charis stood anxiously out side the office. It looked different than she had imagined. The stories told about this particular admin were…terrifying, to say the least. For one thing, she was pretty sure that this was were Boopsy had learned the majority of his tricks. Not to mention this was a person who might have offed poor Asmo. Finally, a short “Come!” came from behind the thick door, and Charis nervously peeked around the door frame into the neat, almost stark office, aside from the eclectic items on the wall behind the desk. Seating herself in an available chair, Charis started the interrogation I mean, investigation with Emperor…

So, The Empy awards were given out just recently! What prompted you to formalize the recognitions for people?

I wanted a way to recognize the people that really devoted themselves to the site. Sometimes we forget to thank those that do so much work to make the community such a rich and inviting place.

A bit taken aback by the sincerity of the answer, I tried again: Do you like that they are named after you?

It is funny you mention that. When I first proposed this idea to the staff I just called them the Empys because we needed a placeholder name. I did not think it would end up sticking once the idea was fleshed out. I do not mind they are named after me and feel honored that they are.

Do you always vote in the Empys?

Yes.. sometimes more than once

Hmmm… Admission of nefarious activities! I pressed forward, sure I was close to an answer… How many Empys have you won so far?

Well I won maybe two the first year they came about and one this year. I should have won another one but Barm got more friends to vote for him that year or paid people or something. I mean come on, that dude is just not funny. Yeah, I went back to that well....

Darn. Another dead end. Although, if Emperor turned out to be the culprit, warning Barm that he had a grudge would be important for sure... So I changed tactics: Is there a prank that you remember more than any other?

You know.. it wasn't a prank... but early on in my DM infancy I was a Chosen of SG. This was back when you RPed as a Chosen as well... before the split. I remember Ishamael and Lanfear trying to overthrow Demandred (the org leader). Demandred wasn't having none of that and threw them out of the org. Man those were good times...

Wait… admission of hanging around with the Chosen by CHOICE? There was something to this, I was SURE! What is the most mayhem you have been a part of?

Probably when I rolled with the Jets in West Side Story. Ok most of you young people will stare at me blankly. Look it up.

The Jets? Everyone knows the Sharks were WAY cooler. I was starting to mistrust this one more and more!

Maddest place on DM?

Like angry? Probably the White Tower. You put all those women in one place and people are at each other's throats.

Making a note to check the manner in which Asmo had been killed, I moved ahead.Favorite way to stir up trouble?

Say something sexist about women in the White Tower 

hmmm, interesting What do you think is the best bit of mayhem or madness in WoT? In the fantasy genre in general?

Someone is a little preoccupied with mayhem... Well seriously... the White Tower. One day it is all together and ... spoiler alert... the next it is broken up with like 15 Amyrlins  and kin running around and people killing Youglings... If I got some of that wrong forgive me, I haven't read the books in like 6 years. I KNOW!!! Shocking... don't get me started.

He hasn't read the books, he doesn't answer half the question. I'm liking the situation here less and less... Where's your favourite place to hide the bodies?

The Role Playing boards. OH! I made a funny. I am totally kidding. Man am I going to get some hate mail from that one.

Yes, I thought. Yes you are, you Fosaken-killer! What would drive you to the brink of madness?

Being the WT Org Leader (see, I did it again) 

Now I was sure. There was something not right about this one. Concluding the interview quickly, I fled from the office and back to the safety of the Newsroom, where we would continue to investigate those without alibis! Join us next month for further answers to the puzzle!

quotesu.png

by Little Miss

Welcome to the section where you can get your monthly fill of:

“I can’t believe they just said that!” to the “LMAO!  Now that was funny!”  And let’s not forget the lovely ones that make you want to add, “That’s what she said…”

Now Ladies and Gentleman, please enjoy the random, nonsensical, and utterly delightful quotes of the month!

I'm talking like if the movies "Basket Ball Diaries" and "Wildfire" had a drunkin love child conceived behind a dumpster at a Dennie's after prom. Dark dark

stuff.

----------

He's very possessive - gets all over-excited when someone makes Bonding noises in my direction  :D

-----------

OMGOMGOMGOMG my computer clock just jumped from 1:59 am to 3:00 am!  Oh Noes!  This is clearly the work of the Dark One.

....or it could just be Daylight Savings Time.

Remember to set your clocks forward 1 hour!

:D

-----------

*takes Adella's hand and jumps around*

*jumps to high and hits head*

*falls off the bed*

Ow....

"One Aspie fell off and bumped his head. Lily Sedai called a Yellow, and the Yellow said 'No more Aspies jumping on the bed.'

Three little Aspies jumping on the bed"

------------

*laughs hysterically* Crazy doesn't cover it...

------------

Pssh....it was like crazy, hot, wild, endless...spam....all over the place.

You know you loved it. 8)

------------

I believe I learned the same way, and I've noticed cleaning up after them and feeding them is much more pleasant when you get to ride and spend non-negative

time with them too. :D

We're still talking horses here, not Warders, right? *Absolute dead-pan angel face*

-------------

People here in the tropics have since decided to ignore the insanity of your time shifting hobbies and instead love you for who you are, not when you are.

*nods*

------------

I hate Snape...... Stupid prick made me drool over a frigging 63 year old for two months. that's just not right that.....  >:(

-------------

*smacks Verb around*

ahhh...it's like crack, but better

------------

Oh, I play with my wand ALL the time. Sometimes I let Danya play with it, and Jhae's always asking to have a go at it.

So yeah, I guess I have been waving it quite alot.

YEEEEHAAAWWWWW!!!!

*Rides in on the PG-13 sign, like a professional bull rider*

Whoa, settle down there, Holy.....

*Gets bucked* 

nynafunny.png

by Nynaeve

Interview number 3

Nurit: Oh yes, it's 'Chat with Nurit' again. I'm Nurit and you chat, or I shoot you ;D  Today, I would like to welcome Galad. But before I do... *blindfolds herself so she wouldn't be biased* Galad, join us if you please!

*Galad walks onto stage and sits down*

Nurit: *Tries to reach to shake his hand and accidentally shakes something else...*

Galad: I can tell you already like me.  *wink*

Nurit: Yes... My, you have a roughed, manly voice. It's quite capturing.

Galad: *chuckles* Yes. I've been told that before. But tell me, Nurit, why are you covering your eyes?

Nurit: Security measures, love...mm.. I mean, Galad. We stick to pure shoptalk. There will be no flirting or pinning of any kind.

Galad: I wouldn't dream of attracting the attention of such a fine lady as yourself. And if I may say so, covering your eyes should be considered a crime.

Nurit: *Takes deep breath* Galad, many claim you have a very... Unique sense of justice.

Galad: *laughs* I have no idea what you're talking about, darling. I merely uphold the law. I am, after all, a White Cloak.

Nurit: Lets make a little experiment. Say there's a child.

Galad: An evil child?

Nurit: No no, Galad. Not everyone has crossed over to the dark side. Now, this child has a pet rat.

Galad: Blasphamer! He must die!

Nurit: Don't you think that's kind of harsh?

Galad: Hardly. The child has clearly been drawn to the dark side. He must be punished and spanked.

Nurit: For having a pet rat?

Galad: Of course, everybody knows that rats act as the messengers of the dark one.

Nurit: Yes, it is a known fact, however, There are rats that are simply... Rats.

Galad: They are creatures of filth. Very unsanitary. Plus they're kind of creepy.

Nurit: *laughs* you're afraid of rats?

Galad: I know no fear.

Nurit: If you say so. Javier! Fetch me the box, please.

Galad: *Javier hands Galad the box* Oh, Nurit. A present? You shouldn't have.

Nurit: Oh, you know me. I just couldn't help myself.

Galad: *Opens box to find a rat in it, he then proceeds to jump on his chair and scream like a girl*

Nurit: God, I'm so tempted to take off the blindfold!

Galad: *Calms down after the rat is taken away* That was mean.

Nurit: I'm a journalist, Galad, I was just trying to prove a point. In any case, lets move on. How do you feel about Aes Sedai?

Galad: Witches, the lot of them. The source to the power they possess must be tainted.

Nurit: So, the little crush you had on Egwene was just a phase?

Galad: I was young and foolish. Didn't even use moisturizing products at the time.

Nurit: You use cosmetic products?

Galad: Yes. Why? Don't give me that look!

Nurit: Ermmm... My eyes are covered, Galad. Besides, I have no comment to offer regarding that. If a guy likes to take care of himself, that's just fine with me.

Galad: The ladies appreciate it. And animals too, for some reason. They keep... Sniffing me.

Nurit: O_O Alrighty, then. What about your little brother, Gawyn. How is your relationship going?

Galad: He's clearly evil. He must die too.

Nurit: And you got to that conclusion, how?

Galad: He didn't wash his hands once after he went to the bathroom.

Nurit: I see. A terrible crime. He should be hanged *rolls eyes*

Galad: Actually, that's a good idea. Hanging.... there is a reason why it's a classic.

Nurit: I was being sarcastic.

Galad: Evil people are usually sarcastic *eyes*

Nurit: Should I call Javier back with Bob the rat?

Galad: *meekly* no

Nurit: I thought not. Now, what have you been up to lately?

Galad: Well, I accused a lot of people of being evil.

Nurit: *gasp* no way.

Galad: Way *smiles*

Nurit: Anything else?

Galad: Well, I've been spending quite a lot of time with Perrin, actually.

Nurit: O_O Perrin...

Galad: Yes, he's a really great friend. He helps me in times of need.

Nurit: Yes, a fine good soul he is. See, now I'm getting images in my head. Never good.

Galad: You won't be the first woman to fantasize about me. It's only natural. You should see me with my pink twity speedos. It was a present from Perrin.

Nurit: He asked you to try it on to see if it fits, didn’t he?

Galad: Actually he did. And then he dropped something and asked me to pick it up and...

Nurit: OKAY, that's enough for tonight. Besides...I think I'm getting blind.

Galad: Oh, I refuse to leave before having a glimpse of your enchanting eyes.

Nurit: Javier, Release Bob, little Bob and big Bob.

Galad: O_O big Bob? *runs away shrieking*

Nurit: *Takes off the blindfold* Goodnight everyone, join me again in a month. And until then, don't accept any presents from Perrin! Goodbye ;)

recommended.png

by Mcs0083

Hello everyone. I'm Mcs.

A lot of of you already know me, but I'm sure there are some who do not. Any who, I'm the new Recommended R/W/L columnist. I hope that my recommendations will be helpful in your quest for satisfactory entertainment :)

Recommended Reading

Chronicles of the Cheysuli by Jennifer Roberson

This is a wonderful series by Jennifer Roberson, who you may know as the author of the Sword-Dancer Saga. It covers four-generations of the war between the Cheysuli and the Ihlini. The first being shape shifters, and the second being users of dark and terrible magic. Each sequel follows the story of the children of those who were in the previous book, so the story as a whole flows pretty well.

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

I'm sure that a lot of you have already read this perhaps, or you've read the Mistborn series. But if not, I highly recommend Elantris. Not only because of Sanderson's role in the Gathering Storm and the remaining WoT books, but also because this book, his first novel, is quite impressive in itself. The basis of the book surrounds the mystery of the title city, Elantris, and why it's inhabitants are cursed instead of blessed with the supernatural abilities that they had been receiving for hundreds of years.

Recommended Watching

Band of Brothers (Television Series)

I know WWII has been overdone in many peoples minds, but this series that was on HBO was one of a kind. It tells the story of the 101st Airborne's Easy Company, who fought, went hungry, froze, and died, sustaining 150 percent casualties, and considered the Purple Heart a badge of office.

Australia (Movie)

First things first, this movie is almost three hours long, so you may want to wear an astronaut diaper. It stars Nichole Kidman and Hugh Jackman , and they are joined by young talent Brandon Waters, who plays an aboriginal child. Kidman plays an English aristocrat who travels to Australia and meets a rough-hewn drover played by Hugh Jackman. The unlikely trio joins forces to drive a herd of cattle hundreds of miles across the continent, all the while having to be wary of powerful enimies who wish to halt their progress.

Recommended Listening

Thrice

Okay then. I've been a listener and fan of this band sense they released their first signed CD in 2001, Identity Crisis. I fell in love with their sound almost immediately, and have purchased every album of theirs ever since. I've enjoyed hearing the progression of their sound, and they certainly have progressed. They are able to be melodic, or aggressive, or both at once even. Their lead singer and song writer Dustin Kensrue not only has amazing control of his voice, but writes brilliant lyrics as well. Their most recent album is Beggers.

And There Were None

The funny thing about this band is, they started out as a metalcore group and then switched to techno rock. Their sound is still solid however, and mixes synthesized beats and instruments with a final outcome of beautiful synchronization. Their lead singer Matt Rhoades has great command of his upper range, and is backed up well by the rest of the band, who also all sing quite well. They have only achieved the popularity they have in the last year or so since the release of their first album, Who Speaks For Planet Earth?, in February of last year. Their hit single, Reinventing Robert Cohn, which was from that CD, is probably their most popular song to date.

puzzles.png

by Kara_J

Come play games with us!  *g*  Work your brain and have fun while you do it with this monthly feature.

Featured this month:

Crosswords!  Test your skills on this Crossword game here:

http://www.armoredpenguin.com/crossword/Data/2010.03/2208/22080130.731.html

You can print it off or try and solve it online by hitting the Solve Online button at the bottom of the page :) Good luck and have fun!

Have a suggestion for a game?  Let us know!  Email us at daesdaemar@whitetower.org and be sure to put "Puzzles and Games" in the subject line!

Intro blurb:

Come play games with us!  *g*  Work your brain and have fun while you do it with this monthly feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived