DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Att Ajah Heads: Weapons Training for WT members

Elgee

Okay, to pull off of what Elgee and everyone else has said, how about this....

WS was used as a standard between all the different divisions. How about only those who would actually be prepaired directly for hand to hand battle be allowed any sort of advanced weapons score. Let's look at the current WS system so that we have a reference point.

DR PSW Wiki[/url]"]WS Description

Tier 1 Unskilled

0 - The character has no experience with weapons.

1 - The character can probably hold a weapon without hurting themself.

2 -

3 - The character has begun some training in the use of weapons, and can wave the weapon at stationary opponents with a reasonable expectation of doing damage.

4 - The character can spar against their teacher without disgracing themself.

5 - The character knows the basic properties and uses of the weapon.

Tier 2 Soldiers

6 - The rank of the average member of an army.

7 - The character has enough experience to fight reliably in group formations.

8 -

9 - The character can spar another person, with a reasonable expectation of winning.

10 - The character is skilled enough with a weapon to teach others the basics of using that weapon.

Tier 3 Elite

11 - The character not only trains other people, but leads them in combat.

12 - The character can spar against two other people, and expect to win.

13 - Somewhere between WS 13 and WS 16, the character can begin to earn a Heron-mark, depending on the strictness of their teacher.

14 -

15 - The character possesses the highest rank possible for those who do not spend every day training with a sword.

Tier 4 Unsurpassed

16 - The character is recognized as a master of their weapon, by all who know their skill.

17 - The character can fight any five normal warriors, and win.

18 -

19 - The character can fight and defeat any five normal warriors, without taking a scratch.

20 - Literally, the best and most skilled in the world.

I would say that on this scale the average AS wouldn't get above about a WS of 3. They would know how not to hurt themselves with a blade and know the basics, but they wouldn't spend enough time training in order to be a good sparring partner. Those with special circumstances might get up to a WS of 5 (those with approval from on high). Battle Ajah would be somewhere between 5 and 7. They would still only use it as a last resort, but want to keep up with it enough that they would have at least the basic skills as second nature. As for Red Ajah, they are bondless by choice. In the books they typically look down on swords and the men that wield them as below them, I really doubt that they would have any interest in picking up a sword and using it in any case.

I do agree with the battle readyness as well. Kind of like the unseen order between the AS themselves there would be a listing of who would take charge in a battle situation. All Aes Sedai would have a general knowledge of how battles work because any random kid off the streets could tell you something about battles at this point in time. As they grew older there would be a certain level of expertise gained, but you would also have those who dedicate their lives to it. Perhaps a within division series of classes would help bridge this gap. It would give you you're tacticians and battle planners. All Greens would have full access to this system, but would also defer to those over them within the ajah. Also, it would be logical to assume that Ajah heads would pay more attention to tactics and what is going on around them to provide direction to their Ajah's.

Suggestions:

1. Beginners Battle Tactics - level 1 - open to all

2. Intermediate Battle Tactics - level 2 - special request unless Green Ajah or Ajah head

3. Advanced Battle Tactics - level 3 - open to Green Ajah over 100 years old (age could be changed)

4. Battle Master Training - level 4 - open to Green Ajah over 170 years old (age could be changed)

These would be untraditional courses and for the more advanced ones I would suggest that you actually try doing battle scenarios for them instead of classroom instruction. These classes of course would be just for within the Tower and would only concern the Sisters themselves.

2- Given this discussion, I can agree that just about everyone BUT the Greens should probably have a general idea about strategy and how to use a small pointy thing without getting themselves hurt, but a WS isn't necessary. Anyone wishing to have one should need serious IC justification for it. Moreover, anything above 5 should have to be approved by both DL's.

I'm confused - are you saying Greens should NOT have a general idea about strategy and weapons, but other Ajahs SHOULD? Or are you saying "everyone should have it, but ESPECIALLY the Greens? The last would make perfect sense to me.

Actually, I meant something pretty similar. Everyone but the greens would need a general idea about strategy. Greens should have that and then some more. ;) I've always said Green is as close to Black as you can get and still walk in the Light. ;)

I'll take a look at that when I've got a good chunk of time to dedicate to it. The general sketch looks good to me, but I don't want to agree and then start screaming later because I missed something. LOL This is the first chance I've had to turn this damned thing on since Sunday afternoon (I HAVE A NEW CAR! *dances*), so I'm a bit flooded with things I need to run through. I'll get caught up pretty quick, I think. So you'll have a better answer from me by, say, Saturday?

Edited for clarification of the quotes. LOL Apparently I should've taken meds last night... *sighs*

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

bump

I just found out this was here and I have no idea when it was posted as the dates appear to be all wonky. I want to read carefully through all of this but from what I can say I agree with Lor on all points and such. Once I stop coughing and my son stops coughing I will come back and read the rest I didn't finish and post my thoughts. Elgee nope after the initial changes the WS. I didn't touch anything, so it's all the same.

• 2 months later...

OK we seriously need to get this done NOW - Mat needs it for the database she's making us.

I've been racking my brains to find a system that will not disadvantage those who have completed some form of WS in the past, but my brain is about to go 'splody, so I decided to think outside the box. I checked, and only 2 people have done above WS5, namely Lor and minisamus. Eight others have done various bits up to level 5, mostly Greens. So, we move on to a new system, and Greens will get special dispensation and therefore keep their score already attained, no matter if they did different requirements (pointy stuff instead of weaves). Anyone from any other Ajah who's done training with sharp pointy objects, can mention that in their bios and RPs (and they must prove it to staff first!!), but there is going to be no official WS for them. Them's the breaks.

So, on to the new system, for people joining from now: We get rid of this thing called Weapons Score completely, and replace it with something Aes Sedai would actually do, namely Lor's suggestion: Battle Readiness Score (BRS). This will be comprised of the following:

BRS 1 - 4: For Accepted and above, no permission required (Conducted in the White Tower grounds)

BRS 1: Defensive Weaves

BRS 2: Battle Weaves

BRS 3: Defensive Tactics

BRS 4: Battle Tactics

BRS 5 - 7: For full AS only. Both the WT and WY GLs must approve it, and will only be granted in exceptional circumstances

BRS 5: Basic Weapon Handling (the old WS 4 & 5)

• Basic Weapon Handling: an introduction to the basic forms of a single weapon, or max 2, choice of knives, staff or sword. A spar can be included in this lesson, main objective is to become acquainted with the forms as they can be found on the Gaidin website. Beginner forms.

• A spar with a trainee of WS 3-6, have the outcome be random and make sure to have a few rounds in the spar to cover all the basic forms and the things you have learnt.

BRS 6: was: The Open Road (the old WS 6) / propose: Defensive Action

• was: An RP in a hostile (to AS) area. A conflict occurs to which the Aes Sedai must choose to battle either with OP (and reveal herself), with a weapon or try to find a more peaceful way out of the situation. How well does the Aes Sedai handle this situation? Must encounter 2 PCs from another RP Group. (Min 16 posts for the entire RP)
  • propose: A conflict occurs and the Aes Sedai must lead her group to safety without using attacking Weaves. Must encounter 2 PCs/NSWs from another RP Group. (Min 16 posts for the entire RP)

BRS 7: was: Quid Pro Quo (the old WS 7) / propose: Battle Action

• was: An Aes Sedai and/or Tower Guard (Warder is okay) is sent on a mission. They are placed in a situation where they must rely solely on their WY training and the help of the other. (How well do they work together? If OP is used, what are the consequences? Do they still risk it?) Must include 3 other PCs. (Min 18 posts for entire RP)
  • propose: A conflict occurs and the Aes Sedai must lead her group into battle. Must encounter 2 PCs/NSWs from another RP Group. (Min 16 posts for the entire RP)

Most of us are agreed on the fact that training with weapons is something Aes Sedai simply would not do. So, I'm deciding that it will NOT be mandatory for anyone to do so, but I will leave it up to Lor to decide if Greens must train up to level 4 in Battle Readiness.

You will also notice that I don't have anything written up under levels 1 to 4 - that's because I don't know if there ARE any such classes. If anyone has anything that will fit, please give! Otherwise, it should be relatively easy to make up classes for Weaves using this list of Weaves we have. Tactics might be more difficult. Do the Warders have anything?

Can we switch the weaves and tactics around? In fact, can we set up the tactics levels first and the weaves levels second?

BRS 1: Defensive Tactics

BRS 2: Battle Tactics

BRS 3: Defensive Weaves

BRS 4: Battle Weaves

OR

BRS 1: Defensive Tactics

BRS 2: Defensive Weaves

BRS 3: Battle Tactics

BRS 4: Battle Weaves

I'm guessing the BRS4 would be the Green's current Battle Weaves class? We do have a set of nasty weaves we teach for that already. I can edit it up to something generic and forward it, if you like, but these are a "Green Secret." So, they'd have to be changed if the day ever comes that we approve another Ajah member to get up to a 4...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've harassed the hell out of Elgee this afternoon and here's what we've come up with:

Battle Readiness Score Outline:

BRS 1-4: Accepted and Aes Sedai only. These can be done in any order you wish. Each completed RP will add +1 to your BRS.

Defensive Weaves- Students will learn weaves to defend themselves in public.

Defensive Tactics - Students will learn tactics that will help in defending themselves in public.

Battle Weaves (Intro level)- Students will learn some basic intro. level weaves that will aid them in battle.

Battle Tactics- Students will learn strategies and tactics that will aid them in battle.

Battle Field First Aid - Students will learn how to deal with injuries on the battle field, when you can't spare the resources of Healing.

BRS 5 - 7: For full AS only. These can be done in any order you wish. Each completed RP will add +1 to your BRS. Any interest in this level of BRS needs the approval of the White Tower RGL before beginning!

*Advanced Battle Weaves (GREENS ONLY!)

Newly raised Greens will be taught the oath-hedging weaves that are a Green’s toolbox during battle.

* Basic Weapon Handling (the old WS 4 & 5)

Basic Weapon Handling: an introduction to the basic forms of a single weapon, or max 2, choice of knives, staff or sword. A spar can be included in this lesson, main objective is to become acquainted with the forms as they can be found on the Gaidin website. Beginner forms. A spar with a trainee of WS 3-6, have the outcome be random and make sure to have a few rounds in the spar to cover all the basic forms and the things you have learned. PLEASE GET APPROVAL FROM THE WARDER’S RGL BEFORE BEGINNING THIS RP! Trainers will be assigned at the discretion of the Warders RGL.

* The Open Road (the old WS 6) / puropose: Defensive Action

An RP in a hostile (to AS) area. A conflict occurs to which the Aes Sedai must choose to battle either with OP (and reveal herself), with a weapon or try to find a more peaceful way out of the situation. How well does the Aes Sedai handle this situation? Must encounter 2 PCs from another RP Group. (Min 16 posts for the entire RP)

*Quid Pro Quo (the old WS 7) / puropose: Battle Action

An Aes Sedai and/or Tower Guard (Warder is okay) is sent on a mission. They are placed in a situation where they must rely solely on their WY training and the help of the other. (How well do they work together? If OP is used, what are the consequences? Do they still risk it?) Must include 3 other PCs. (Min 18 posts for entire RP)

Edited by U4ea