DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin and Manetheren

Owayn The Traveller

Okay jut been reading Knife of Dreams and something came up that I obviously paid no heed to before otherwise I wouldnt be going on ABOUT IT NOW. Anyhow in the chapter ,'A Deal', Perrin gives up any attempt at reviving said nation. When he does this the following happens 'suddemly, the breeze was a gale howling in the opposite direction pelting them with grit, blowing so hard he had to cling to his saddle to kept from being knocked off.' and also 'The tempest stank of sulphur'.

So does this signal something important. Like Perrin not reviving Manetheren makes the Dark One immensely happy. Do you think Manetheren will come back into again before the end?

Not sure if theres anything between the lines there but one thing I thought while reading this; if Perrin did indeed raise Manetheren, surely the Dark One would want that because it would no doubt anger Andor and any other nations that felt it rise again, causing chaos between the ranks of the Light. At the hands of a Ta'veren no less.

If anything, Id say the wind might have been the Dark Ones dissapointment at Perrin for deciding not to try raising it again.

The sulfur wind started at the beginning of the book and makes several appearances throughout.  It begins at originates from dragonmount.  Of course it is a bit supernatural in nature to reach as far as it does but it isn't a reaction to anything Perrin says.  It was coincidence, that's all.

The sulfur wind started at the beginning of the book and makes several appearances throughout.  It begins at originates from dragonmount.  Of course it is a bit supernatural in nature to reach as far as it does but it isn't a reaction to anything Perrin says.  It was coincidence, that's all.

We have Sahara sand blowing over us a couple of times per year here in Belgium (which is about 2500 km / 1500 miles). Not supernatural at all.

Sand being carrried in the sky by strong windcurrents is one thing, and natural.  A stiff wind at ground level that brings with it the smell of sulfer and emanates from the caldera of a volcano hundreds of leagues away is something else entirely.

Sand being carrried in the sky by strong windcurrents is one thing, and natural.  A stiff wind at ground level that brings with it the smell of sulfer and emanates from the caldera of a volcano hundreds of leagues away is something else entirely.

Agreed.

The wind doesnt always start near Dragonmount, does it?

Agreed.

Nope, it starts all over the place.

I am of course stubbornly clinging to my old theory that Dragonmount will erupt, something that would make this particular wind a nice little foreshadowing.

Not sure if theres anything between the lines there but one thing I thought while reading this; if Perrin did indeed raise Manetheren, surely the Dark One would want that because it would no doubt anger Andor and any other nations that felt it rise again, causing chaos between the ranks of the Light. At the hands of a Ta'veren no less.

If anything, Id say the wind might have been the Dark Ones dissapointment at Perrin for deciding not to try raising it again.

Thats quite true actually.

Coinidence, I don't think so.

Agreed.

Nope, it starts all over the place.

I am of course stubbornly clinging to my old theory that Dragonmount will erupt, something that would make this particular wind a nice little foreshadowing.

I completely agree with the dragon mount irrupting. In Veins of Gold there is reference to one side being blasted away, but before that we never heard about it (at least i was not able to find anything). In any way, I posted couple thing about it here and there but got no solid responses to my questions.

Going back to the topic at hand, Perrin will not make a decision to have Manetheren back or not, instead patter will make that choice and it seems that it might happen, considering as more and more people put pressure on him to fly the banners.

I was thinking the pattern caused for the wind to be there after he gave up the claim to Manetheren, as an omen. Elayne is already mad at Perrin, she just doesn't know it's him she's mad at. She knows there's rebellion. We have Morgase to offset her anger when that time comes.

I've long figured Andor would be destroyed in the coming war, though, and that would leave room for Manetheren to rise up again. That's mostly just hopeful thinking on my part!

That pretty much sums up why it isn't because of the DO. It is just a wind like in every other book.

The wind was a result of the Dark One's seal loosening. It was not because of perrin. Faile and the Shaido felt it too.

Yeah, and? None of the characters are outside the pattern. They have done things that filled prophecies and some things are going to come to be whatever a character thinks or wants. It's quite possible this wind was an omen that blew through at just the right time and place when something pivotal happened in the pattern. Just because others felt it doesn't matter, the wind was caused to be in that place at that time.

Don't forget that Perrin is ta'veren and the pattern can and will shape itself around him for the time being.

Archived