DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Adventures of Merlin

randalthorr

Been seeing the tv series a lot lately. I know its a little for the younger viewers but I absolutely love it. Saw the entire first season in a weekend and got the second season now too..

Anyone else see it?? I was wondering if there are any good books based on the theme. From what I read online all results pointed to works in earlier centuries and where Merlin wasnt the good guy. Anyway, is there any recent work on arthur and merlin? books i mean

THanks for the replies guys... Ill most definitely check out the titles mentioned above and start one of them. Jus started on Warbreaker today and planning to read Elantris after this. So once Im done there I would really like to read some Merlin. So thanks again for the suggestions.

Also I came across this from wikipedia.... Anyone got any opinions on Mary Stewart's, Merlin Series?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Stewart

got that one in mind too.

cheers.

I've read Mary Stewart's sequence: 'The Crystal Cave', 'The Hollow Hills', 'The Last Enchantment', and they are excellent. Told from Merlin's PoV, they recount Merlin's childhood and growth to Arthur's advisor, and give an interesting perspective on the Arthur legend. MS is a terrific storyteller who has done her homework. Thoroughly recommend this sequence.

Thank you Wert...... Looks like just what I was looking for. Im sure Ill enjoy reading the books u all suggested.

And BTW... Warbreaker halfway through.... After WOT and then Crown of Stars after it, a stand alone novel seems so fast and interesting.... Lightsong beats em all so far... Hes just too good.

• 2 months later...

Finished Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy an hour back. Took my time reading the first two books, but finished 'Excalibur' in less than twenty four hours. My review, its my introduction to the legends of England, and it could not have been better. I throughly recommend this to anyone who may be interested in the theme.

mild spoiler!!!.....

I wish it mentioned if Derfel had his wish of having his body burnt, in lines with the Pagan rituals rather than buried.

I read the Stewart books maybe 25 years ago and had completely forgotten them. Very good treatment of the Arthurian legends; ya'll do realize she wrote a fourth installment, The Wicked Day, where she gives a completely nontraditional take on Mordred's rise to power?

Another good series of Arthurian tales is Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles, (The Sky Stone, The Singing Sword, The Eagle's Brood); its 6 or 7 books in total. He goes at it from a nonfantastic, nonmagical angle focusing on the evolution of cavalry weapons and tactics among a group of Roman colonists who stay behind following the withdrawal of the legions around the year 500. He's now doing a series about the Knight's Templar which is pretty good so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thank you once again for recommending the once and future king. The merlin series on tv is what got me interested in the topic, bernard cornwells triology made me really like it and I am about 3/4ths through the once and future king, and I am loving every page of it. I am glad I am reading it and strongly recommend anyone who hasnt read it and is interested in the topic to go ahead and enjoy it.

I would really appreciate further recommendations. The local library doesnt have the mary stewart series, unfortunately.

EDIT:

Began the Camulod series last night after I finished the book of merlin. It was a fitting conclusion to the once and future king. I loved and knew I would love everything about the Camulod series after reading the first fifty pages or so. The above suggestions are all gold. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Pardon my cluttering this thread, but I dont really know too many people who read.

Just wanted to let you all know that the Camulod series is an amazing story line. Atleast so far. Im at book 3, The Eagles Brood, and it really

is very entertaining, never letting up the pace at any point. Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions.

Pardon my cluttering this thread, but I dont really know too many people who read.

Just wanted to let you all know that the Camulod series is an amazing story line. Atleast so far. Im at book 3, The Eagles Brood, and it really

is very entertaining, never letting up the pace at any point. Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions.

Sorry, but there are a lot of threads out there that are about finding good books. And I'm sure if you post a plea on the forum, people will answer.

Erm... I don't know about philosophy, but have you read the Young Wizards series? They're good, and they just get better.

Ender's Game

Dune

R.A. Salvatore's The Legend of Drizzt

Alright, to the original thread, I thought you were talking about the series The Lost Years of Merlin. I'll go totter off to a different thread, now...

That is a good book series though.

• 8 months later...

Been seeing the tv series a lot lately. I know its a little for the younger viewers but I absolutely love it. Saw the entire first season in a weekend and got the second season now too..

Anyone else see it?? I was wondering if there are any good books based on the theme. From what I read online all results pointed to works in earlier centuries and where Merlin wasnt the good guy. Anyway, is there any recent work on arthur and merlin? books i mean

I can see the thread is dead by now but I just had to tell you that you're not the only Merlin lover here on DM- I absolutely love it too and can't wait for the season 4 :rolleyes:

What makes the series that awesome is Colin&Bradley team, of course :biggrin:

You might want to try the Merlin Trilogy by James Mallory. I've only read the first two books, because I haven't managed to get ahold of the thrid one, but I really enjoyed them. They're an adaption of the Hallmark miniseries starring Sam Neill, so I don't know if they would be your thing or not, but I hope they help!

Archived