DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fates worse than Death for Bad Girls (spoilers)

Lord D

While I understand Robert Jordan's reasons for wanting to keep this story PG-13 and following the traditional christian marriage rites, one of my greatest gripes in this story are the abundance of naked spankings but the lack of rapes in the story line.

While there certainly were a number of "clad in the light" naked cavortings, I'm curious as to these naked spankings. When was that? Only spankings I recall were Perrin-Faile, Nynaeve-Moghedien, Gareth-Siuan and Cadsuane-Semirhage, and all were very much PG corporal-humiliation punishments. I mean sure, you could read kinkyness into that, but... none of them really presented that way. More like a medieval approach of men(or women) punishing women "appropriately" for acting like spoiled little girls.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I understand Robert Jordan's reasons for wanting to keep this story PG-13 and following the traditional christian marriage rites, one of my greatest gripes in this story are the abundance of naked spankings but the lack of rapes in the story line.

While there certainly were a number of "clad in the light" naked cavortings, I'm curious as to these naked spankings. When was that? Only spankings I recall were Perrin-Faile, Nynaeve-Moghedien, Gareth-Siuan and Cadsuane-Semirhage, and all were very much PG corporal-humiliation punishments. I mean sure, you could read kinkyness into that, but... none of them really presented that way. More like a medieval approach of men(or women) punishing women "appropriately" for acting like spoiled little girls.

Egwene and Aviendha were switched plenty of times by the Wise Ones, the Mistress of Novices in the WT spanks naughty novices and Egwene repeatedly, and the Sea Folk definitely use corporal punishment LOTS.

• 3 years later...

Yes, tis sexual harassment and blackmail. Tylin's the boss; she can make bad things happen to him.

Not rape.

Depending on what state you live in, intercourse by way of sexual harassment and/or blackmail by one's superior is by definition rape.

To paraphrase Monty Python: Mat was raped... well... at first.

• 2 weeks later...

This is honestly a massive problem for me. And has honestly almost turned me off the series completely at different points Especially re: Mog and Semi and Galina.

For the love of god, can't he treat his characters with a bit of dignity? Don't humiliate a character and treat them like garbage then still expect us to consider them a legitimate threat... it doesn't work. If anything it makes me turn on the heroes. I'm natrually gonna side with the underdog in any given situation. Morality be damned.

Mog was never a threat. Nynaeve matches her when they first meet and both nynaeve and elayne broke through her compulsion right away. She was never a threat

Moghedian was a major threat. Nyn may have matched her in sheer strength, but Moggy was more cunning, older, more experienced and simply had far more knowledge (of the world, and life in general, besides for weaves).

Nynaeve took her by surprise in TAR, and captured her in Salidar, but that was pure luck. The only reason she didnt kill Nynaeve when she had the chance was because she wanted to humiliate her first, make her a toy or whatnot. 

Mog was never a threat. Nynaeve matches her when they first meet and both nynaeve and elayne broke through her compulsion right away. She was never a threat

The only reason Nyn won was because Mogi underestimated her and essentially engaged in a strength of power arm wrestling match. Had she used dexterity like Talaan did later she would have won easily.

Asmodean was a threat. He almost killed Rand several times. The only reason Rand wasn't finely sliced was Ta'vereness. The main reason the Shaido even became a threat was because of Asmo.

Mogheiden almost beat Nynaeve. Escaped her after being shielded. Almost defeated her several times in Tel'aran'rhiod. Ripped Birgitte out of the world of dreams, almost killing her. Successfully went undercover and won Nynaeve's trust. Secured a hefty stash of Angreal and Ter'angreal

Archived