DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

randalthorr

Went and saw it in 3d, I would tell people not to bother with it. Besides them little white floaty things, there is no need for it.

The storyline is one that is one that has been used ad nauseum in the industry, and offers nothing new or insightful. One can admire the imagination that went into the creation of an alien culture, and the special effects, but I felt like I had seen this movie (or ones like it) a hundred times before.

Well, I finally saw it and not on 3D. I think it was alright, the effects were great but the story was not something new. It kept me entertained for a while but at the middle of the movie I was getting bored and just wanted it to end.

I agree with the laser weapons comment. I mean come on, spaceships but not any better weapons? Otherwise I thought it was good. By the way to all those who don't think it's anything new, the guy who did the movie thought of it like 20 years ago but didn't have good enough technology to make it.

Personally I really do think Avatar is the best movie of 2009. As someone has already said, Cameron first came up with the rough idea of the movie, eg Pandora and the Na'vi, the technology wasnt up to the standard of the vision he had in his head. People have said 'dont bother with the 3d' and mainly because they say nothing comes flying out of the screen at you. For me, it wasnt so much what came flying out at me, but the depth of the landscapes and everything was incredible. Yeah, the story wasnt particularly incredible, but all in all I LOVED Avatar and would highly recommend it :)

rant over :)

Avatar: great effects, weak-ish story line.

If I turn my brain off and just watch the movie, I couldn't imagine a more spectacular world. I mean really, the forest is glow in the dark! Once you start actually analyzing the story though, the whole white-male-comes-to-save-the-doomed-natives archetype becomes pretty apparent and you sort of squirm at the fact that even though the movie is supposed to have an anti-colonial message, its has some messed up undertones.

craftyreader - I had some fern gully moments throughout, but mostly all I could think was "this movie is a cross between Pocahontas and Star Wars". That and when Home Tree fell, I had a distinct feeling that I was watching the Titanic sinking all over again.

I can't wait for the sequel.

I saw it in IMAX, like a two story screen (3D of course).

I liked the whole agent, double agent, turned agent line for Sam Worthington. I liked the fact that the Na'vi and their allies fought back and won (it reminded me greatly of the Viet Nam war--in the beginning, the Viet people only had bows and arrows too, but they kicked out first the French occupation, then the U.S.)

The biosphere being like a brain with the braid/neurons for upload/download was wild.

I especially loved it when Zoe Saldana takes down the idiot colonel in his bozo robotic killer machine suit, with arrows. You may remember she was cast as Uhura in the J.J. Abrams Star Trek film last year.

I am finding it interesting how everyone in the world with a beef is attempting to get media coverage by turning their beef into a criticism of this movie. And most of it is based on gross oversimplification of the storyline, or else a complete misunderstanding based on not seeing the picture before issuing a press release.  ::)

Archived