DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who speaks to Rand in Chapter 51 of EoTW *possible spoilers*

MauricXe

Reading the summary from the WoT Encyclopedia, it seems like The Creator is logically referring to Tarmon Gai'don:

Rand: "This has to end." A voice in his head says, "IT IS NOT HERE. I WILL TAKE NO PART. ONLY THE CHOSEN ONE CAN DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, IF HE WILL." Rand says, "Where?" The voice says, "NOT HERE." (http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/books/teotw/ch51.html)

Only thing, it would make more sense if The Creator said "IT IS NOT NOW....NOT NOW." Unless the Creator is referring to the Last Battle needing to be fought at Shayol Ghul?

am i the only one who thinks that if it is the Creator talking it seems a bit out of character to have him talk at all?

he creates and leaves, only observing and possibly not even that.

he won't do anything, why drop by to say he won't do anything?

am i the only one who thinks that if it is the Creator talking it seems a bit out of character to have him talk at all?

Actually, Rand was kind of possessed.  He said the one power did it if I remember correctly.

Actually, Rand was kind of possessed.  He said the one power did it if I remember correctly.

so, how do you reckon being "possessed" as you say by the Power leads to having a personal chat with the Creator?

Well, the possession (if you believe in that theory) was a by product of channeling the  Eye of the World --with an angreal or even sanangreal amount of saidin to use. Maybe the untainted saidin got the Creator's attention? Or maybe He realized that Rand was freaking out so he needed to give him a "push" to help.

Rand is a bit of a philosopher and theologian so his speaking about and to the Creator is in keeping with his personality. This just happened to be the one time the Creator spoke back. 

I think it was the Creator, and I think he was saying, "The Last Battle is not here and not now, so I will not yet take part."  I've always believed that what Rand et al believe about the Creator is wrong.  Legend has faded to myth, and the myth has been forgotten as to the Creator's true involvement.

I think the Creator does watch over them and will intervene if necessary.  To me, the battle between Rand and the DO isn't nearly as interesting or as epic as the battle between the Creator and the DO.

When the time is right (ie. when/if Rand "dies") I think the Creator will get involved and kick the DO's butt, then reimprison him.  I don't think that one can exist without the other, so if the DO is killed as Rand probably wants to happen, I think the Creator will cease to exist as well.  Yin and Yang.  Flame and "fang" or "void" or black half.  Neither is complete without the other.  This is why I theorize that, as the DO is trapped, so is the Creator to some degree...

When people ask when we first see LTT inside Rand's head, the obvious answer is usually TFoH. I sometimes point out some interesting passages in TGH that have Rand having some....suspicious inner dialogue(a voice that sounds like Rand's, but cackles with a little insanity).

LTT also comes to the forefront in TFoH after Rand uses the Choedan Kal for the first time(his struggle with Asmo).

As I've said on other threads, I don't really think the LTT voice is a seperate entity from Rand. It is the same soul. The LTT voice is a construct of Rand's mind, a way to torture himself. However, it is also clear that this construct is tapping into the soul of the Dragon Reborn to share expiriences from his past life because LTT's voice knows things that only LTT could.

Perhaps this weakening of barriers between current and past life is caused by the use of Saiden(or perhaps the use of tainted Saiden). Perhaps the voice in tEotW is the voice of the Dragon Reborn, surging to the surface after Rand has his first rush of Saiden from tEotW. Basically a subconcious message from himself, knowing that this couldn't be the end. We see Rand do other things on instinct throughout the early books that may be explained with some subconcious knowledge from past life exprience.

Just a few thoughts I have put together. It really does seem uncharacteristic for the Creator to speak to Rand as he did in that first book. But then again, the first book thematically does feel a little different then later books. Jordan may have allowed him to speak in the first book when the series was not intended to go on so long, but nixed the Creator ever taking part again in such a long series as to not make his intervention too much of a cheap god "win button". Will be interesting if we get a clear answer on this in the end, or if it will always remain ambiguous.....

Archived