DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Christmas Songs and Music - It's A Knockout (Winner: White Christmas)

Corki

Round 1, Tie 7

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

This isn't a Christmas song at all, really. In fact, it's not even a happy song... it's terribly depressing. BUT, it is a brilliant, brilliant song that doesn't get played at any other time of year. Shane McGowen is a genius songwriter who captures the failed hopes and relationship of a couple on the edge of society. And, for many younger Irish people, Christmas doesn't start until they hear this song for the first time. It's usually sung at drunken sing-songs, but the lyrics and melody can bring a sneaky tear to the eye if you're not careful.

vs.

O Holy Night by Josh Groban

I love the sweeping music, the tender melodies, the range this song allows the singer, the lyrics are nice and meaningful, and it sounds very wintery.  It always manages to calm me down and get me in the holiday spirit.  Also Josh Groban fulfills everything this song can be; his voice is simply beautiful.

Voting ends Sunday 20th December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 1, Tie 8

White Christmas by Bing Crosby

White Christmas is an Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting, and Bing Crosby's version is quite likely to be the best selling single of all time. Crosby first performed the song back in 1941. The song also appeared in the film Holiday Inn. It also featured in the 1954 musical, White Christmas.

vs.

12 Days of Christmas by Straight No Chaser

The first time I heard this....I laughed my a$$ off.  They take a old and overdone song, and make it fun.  My favorite part is the final 12 day countdown(to Toto).   ;D

12 Days of Christmas by Straight No Chaser

Voting ends Sunday 20th December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Right...

Tie 4: A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

Tie 5: I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake

Tie 6: Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

Tie 7: Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

Tie 8: White Christmas by Bing Crosby

I meant to do this last night but I always spend longer at my best friend's than I intend to....I helped her make a gingerbread house and cookies....which we oh so brilliantly started at 9:30 p.m., knowing that I have to be to work by 8 a.m. this morning....

Tie 4: Merry Xmas Everybody

Tie 5: I Believe in Father Christmas

Tie 6: Driving Home for Christmas

Tie 7: Oh Holy Night

Tie 8: 12 Days of Christmas

Tie 4: A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

Tie 5: I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake

Tie 6: We need a little Chriatmas by The Muppets

Tie 7: Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

Tie 8: White Christmas by Bing Crosby

Time to wrap this up, and where there are ties, I will cast the deciding vote.

In the 4th tie, A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh secures its place in Round 2 after my additional vote breaks the tie and gives a 3-2 victory.

The 5th tie was a 3-1 victory for I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake.

The 6th tie sees another tie, and my additional vote goes to Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea, which prevails by 3 votes to 2.

Yet another tie in the 7th tie, with the M-G's extra vote going to Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl, which progresses with a 3-2 victory.

And in the 8th and final tie of the 1st Round, White Christmas by Bing Crosby won through by 3 votes to 1.

All the second round ties will be going up shortly.

Round 2, Tie 1

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

This popular song was released in 1973, reaching number 4 in the UK charts, being beaten by Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone. It was written and sung by Roy Wood, and is what a great Christmas song should be about! It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore!

vs.

I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake

I actually find this song quite sad. A lost childhood, when you realise the world isn't so magical as you had been told. The tune is nice and cheery but the actual words are quite cynical. And yes I still believe in Father Christmas  :P

I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake

Voting ends Wednesday 23rd December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 2, Tie 2

A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

It is one of my favourite festive songs. It gives one of the religious aspects of the Christmas story a slight twist, where the angel Gabriel came to give a message to the shepherds, but with a spaceship and a spaceman instead. A very clever song.

A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

vs.

This isn't a Christmas song at all, really. In fact, it's not even a happy song... it's terribly depressing. BUT, it is a brilliant, brilliant song that doesn't get played at any other time of year. Shane McGowen is a genius songwriter who captures the failed hopes and relationship of a couple on the edge of society. And, for many younger Irish people, Christmas doesn't start until they hear this song for the first time. It's usually sung at drunken sing-songs, but the lyrics and melody can bring a sneaky tear to the eye if you're not careful.

Round 2, Tie 3

White Christmas is an Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting, and Bing Crosby's version is quite likely to be the best selling single of all time. Crosby first performed the song back in 1941. The song also appeared in the film Holiday Inn. It also featured in the 1954 musical, White Christmas.

vs.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Manheim Steamrollers

First of all, I love Manheim Steamrollers. They don't usually have words with the song, but they're music is tons of fun to listen to and this is one of my favorites of theirs.

Round 2, Tie 4

Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

Not a huge chart success in its two previous outings, maybe it will be 3rd time lucky this Christmas? It has a nice feel good feeling about it as you head home for Christmas. A nice simple tune.

vs.

Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's best Christmas hit, Christmas Eve/Sarajevo takes the unique style of the orchestra's traditional instruments as well as modern instruments such as electric guitar. The music video also became an instant classic upon its debut.

Music Video

Tie 1:I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day

Tie 2:Fairytale of New York

Tie 3:White Christmas

Tie 4:Christmas Eve/Sarajevo

And again, I can be lazy and just quote Stevros! I'm off for a coffee now, but I will announce the results and the semi-final ties after that.

Time for the results and my deciding vote should there be a tie!

The first tie was a 3-1 victory for I Wish It Could be Christmas Every Day.

Fairytale in New York won the second tie by 3 votes to 1.

The third tie saw another 3-1 victory, this time for White Christmas.

And Christmas Eve/Sarajevo secured a 4-0 win in the final tie of the second round.

Semi-Final, Tie 1

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's best Christmas hit, Christmas Eve/Sarajevo takes the unique style of the orchestra's traditional instruments as well as modern instruments such as electric guitar. The music video also became an instant classic upon its debut.

Music Video

vs.

Voting ends Tuesday 29th December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Semi-Final, Tie 2

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

This popular song was released in 1973, reaching number 4 in the UK charts, being beaten by Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone. It was written and sung by Roy Wood, and is what a great Christmas song should be about! It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore!

vs.

Voting ends Tuesday 29th December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Grand Final

Music Video

vs.

Voting ends Sunday 3rd January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived