DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Christmas Songs and Music - It's A Knockout (Winner: White Christmas)

Corki

3rd/4th Place Play-Off

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

This popular song was released in 1973, reaching number 4 in the UK charts, being beaten by Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone. It was written and sung by Roy Wood, and is what a great Christmas song should be about! It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore!

vs.

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

This isn't a Christmas song at all, really. In fact, it's not even a happy song... it's terribly depressing. BUT, it is a brilliant, brilliant song that doesn't get played at any other time of year. Shane McGowen is a genius songwriter who captures the failed hopes and relationship of a couple on the edge of society. And, for many younger Irish people, Christmas doesn't start until they hear this song for the first time. It's usually sung at drunken sing-songs, but the lyrics and melody can bring a sneaky tear to the eye if you're not careful.

Voting ends Sunday 3rd January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since my votes make it a tie, I get to cast the deciding votes as well.

And in the Grand Final, I am sticking with White Christmas by Bing Crosby, which beats Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by the Trans-Siberan Orchestra by 3 votes to 2.

And in the 3rd/4th play-off, my vote remains the same, and as a result, A Fairytale in New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl beats I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard by 3 votes to 2.

Archived